Cache placement

icon_biggrin.gifI recently went to seek out a new cache, when I got there it was on the grounds of a

school, of course not knowing this ahead of time I did not want to be seen in the bushes

of an elementary school, being a single adult male this may draw unwanted attention. It

would have been nice to have the cache information list the best hours. It's not a lot of

fun to drive 15 miles to get to a cache and find there may be an accessibility problem.

I did e-mail the owner of the cache with this suggestion. hopefully they will make this

change. This is the cache it anyone is interested.

This is not a rant it is just a suggestion for people who place caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=65036

Johnny Vegas

Not to place blame on the approvers or anything, but this is a case where it should have been noted before approval that the cache is vary close to a school and some dialogue should have gone back and forth between the hider and the approver to make sure that it was in an appropriate place.

Obviously, if it's a brand new school and doesn't appear on any maps, then there's no way the approver could know, so it's up to the hider to use their heads.

How much detailed effort do the approvers put into checking up on locations to make sure they are not in unappropriate places, such as RR tracks, national parks, etc?

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Not to place blame on the approvers or anything, but this is a case where it should have been noted before approval that the cache is vary close to a school and some dialogue should have gone back and forth between the hider and the approver to make sure that it was in an appropriate place.

Obviously, if it's a brand new school and doesn't appear on any maps, then there's no way the approver could know, so it's up to the hider to use their heads.

How much detailed effort do the approvers put into checking up on locations to make sure they are not in unappropriate places, such as RR tracks, national parks, etc?

- - - - -

http://www.wi-geocaching.com/[/QUOT

As a matter of fact it is a very old school.

I went to this cache at 7am on a Sunday morning because he mentioned it was at a school. Another cache mentioned it was at a church that had kids around, and gave hours you should hunt.

So it seems, it isn't hard to mention these things, I hope they cache owner you emailed responed, and updated the cache description.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

quote:
It's not a lot of

fun to drive 15 miles to get to a cache and find there may be an accessibility problem.

I hear you on that! I traveled more than 100 to find out the approach to a virtual cache was right in the middle of private orchards. But you love this, the creator of the cache said it wasn't intended to be found from the side I came in on. LOL, ok, but it was never stated. I'm venting a little, but it pi$$es me off when a cache report is lacking in important details like that.