Length of logs for caches found!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

BP, headed out there today on my bike and all is well. Chalk it up to cachers who give up too easily. I even posted a little taunt on the cache page (as well as another suspected missing cache that I found today). icon_smile.gif

Haw! Good for you for taking the initiative to check it out! icon_cool.gif

A word of caution about "little taunts" though . . . a finder did that on the page for Alluvial Material cache here in Jersey (one of the best caches in the state), and the cache was stolen soon after. Combination Rock, another superb cache by the same team, was also subsequently stolen. Apparently, a few cachers don't accept failure graciously, and have a nasty, vindictive streak. icon_frown.gif

quote:

BP, headed out there today on my bike and all is well. Chalk it up to cachers who give up too easily. I even posted a little taunt on the cache page (as well as another suspected missing cache that I found today). icon_smile.gif

Haw! Good for you for taking the initiative to check it out! icon_cool.gif

A word of caution about "little taunts" though . . . a finder did that on the page for Alluvial Material cache here in Jersey (one of the best caches in the state), and the cache was stolen soon after. Combination Rock, another superb cache by the same team, was also subsequently stolen. Apparently, a few cachers don't accept failure graciously, and have a nasty, vindictive streak. icon_frown.gif

I usually write 'descriptive' online logs, whether or not I had the time to write anything much in the cache log because of time, non-cachers in the area, whatever...

What I love is when someone finds my caches and they get descriptive in their online logs. This is one of the funniest logs of any of the caches I have placed: written by WaynePDX. I loved reading his description, though at first I thought he must have hated the whole thing... until he wrote me to tell me thank you for making his whole trip to No. Cal. more enjoyable...

Pretty cool! Write 'em long, make me happy!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

[This message was edited by RedwoodRed on April 24, 2002 at 12:49 PM.]

Red... you seemed to send us into the mysterious world of unknown links.

BP... hmmm, you know I hadn't considered the retaliation factor. The one guy I poked at for posting two finds for a cache he clearly stated was not found, sent me and email and commented that he thought what I wrote was funny. He deleted one of his find logs. Oh well, I got half of what I was looking for. icon_smile.gif

My taunts weren't all that bad... nothing more than "Ya'll give up too easily."

Jamie

BP... hmmm, you know I hadn't considered the retaliation factor. The one guy I poked at for posting two finds for a cache he clearly stated was not found, sent me and email and commented that he thought what I wrote was funny. He deleted one of his find logs. Oh well, I got half of what I was looking for. icon_smile.gif

My taunts weren't all that bad... nothing more than "Ya'll give up too easily."

Jamie

quote:

That's what I get for trying simple programming in the very wee hours of the morning...

I have fixed it, Jamie... thanx!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

quote:

my April 1 log (of the three I have) of

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16922 cache is almost exactly the right length. When I wrote it, I got the length-limit message, so I deleted a few words and tried again and it went through. So that log is withing about 10 or 15 characters of the limit. Go ahead and count 'em.

ok... That message is 600 words, 2,533 characters without spaces, and 3,121 characters if you do count spaces. I used to think the limit was 5000 characters, but it now looks like it's not quite that big.

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Thanks Skully and Mulder et al.

I never thought about the cache hider going back and enjoying the stories of all the hunters that found their cache. I think that is a neat idea. I for one will try to be more descriptive when I log a cache.

By the way, on my way to this forum a funny thing happened...Just Kidding.

I will try to do better with my logs. Thanks.

Dark Skies!

I find that writing the long logs is my way of giving back to the geocaching community. When I started caching I had no idea where to plop down a cache or two so I looked for other ways I could contribute. I fell into writing long logs pretty much by accident because of a few favorable comments by local cachers.

Whats really weird is that something I started as a way to give back has now become one of my main avenues of enjoyment. I've found that my goal of writing a long log at the end of the cache hunting day has caused me to be more attentive and notice things that occur during the hunt. Its interesting what your frame of mind during the experience does for the overall enjoyment of it. Sounds hokey, but I'd recommend everyone focus on the whole start to end trek - to and from the cache - instead of the last five minutes of the search.

I'm not so focused on the GPS arrow anymore and it makes geocaching better.

--- yrium ---

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Thomason:

... cache is almost exactly the right length. When I wrote it, I got the length-limit message, so I deleted a few words and tried again and it went through. So that log is withing about 10 or 15 characters of the limit. Go ahead and count 'em.

ok... That message is 600 words, 2,533 characters without spaces, and 3,121 characters if you do count spaces. I used to think the limit was 5000 characters, but it now looks like it's not quite that big.

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I have had a lot of experience with breaking logs into two or three sections in order for them to get accepted by the website and I believe that its not only an overall character size limit but also how busy the site is when you submit your entries. I believe you get more entry for your buck if you submit during quiet times.

--- yrium ---

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Thomason:

Also, (and not to be picky) I have a couple of HTML tags in that message. Hmmm, now you have me wondering because I thought the limit was 5000 as well.

Maybe we can get an official word. Elias?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

Sounds hokey, but I'd recommend everyone focus on the whole start to end trek - to and from the cache - instead of the last five minutes of the search.

Doesn't sound hokey at all! In fact, it's a perfect example of enjoying the journey, instead of just the destination. icon_smile.gif

-------

Join us at our first 196939_600.gif "geo-gathering" on 4/27/02!

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

Sounds hokey, but I'd recommend everyone focus on the whole start to end trek - to and from the cache - instead of the last five minutes of the search.

Doesn't sound hokey at all! In fact, it's a perfect example of enjoying the journey, instead of just the destination. icon_smile.gif

-------

Join us at our first 196939_600.gif "geo-gathering" on 4/27/02!

I'm pulling this thread out of the archives because I'm still trying to figure out how long the log entry can be.

It sounds like Yrium's thought that it was dependant on some mysterious intangible rather than just a pure number seems to make more sense to me.

I've just finished typing (for the most part) all 38 or 39 logs from PaterQuest offline. I planned to cut-n-paste them to the site.

Well, my first log was way too long. 5400 characters or something, so I trimmed it down to less than 5000, but the site still wouldn't accept it.

I trimmed and trimmed a few letters at a time, and it finally worked at exactly 4950 characters... but now I'm trying to cut-n-paste it again (the first time was just a test) and it won't accept it. It took it when it was 4950 characters, but now the site absolutely refuses it at 4946 characters.

Doh.. and I'm sure a few of my other PaterQuest logs overrun 5000 characters too. Man... I sure wish the limit were a bit higher. (hint, hint)

Jamie

There is also a thread out there (from this spring I guess) that discusses exactly how many characters are allowed in a log. I recall it saying that the use of HTML in a log, cuts down on available space. Anyway, I'm too lazy to look for it, but its out there.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I go caching with the Bryno. He never writes much, but I do, and we log seperrately. When in the woods and writing in the log book the length of the log all depends on what is trying to eat me alive at the time. If it isn't really mosquitoey out then I have more time to compose. If I forgot the DEET then I'm outta there, gotta keep moving. I figure I can always be more interesting when I get home to my computer. My favorite log entry from another cacher has to be this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25720&logs=y&decrypt=

Read the post for June 23 by Perfect Tommy. Interesting humor, had me laughing and reading it to other people. icon_wink.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

I go caching with the Bryno. He never writes much, but I do, and we log seperrately. When in the woods and writing in the log book the length of the log all depends on what is trying to eat me alive at the time. If it isn't really mosquitoey out then I have more time to compose. If I forgot the DEET then I'm outta there, gotta keep moving. I figure I can always be more interesting when I get home to my computer. My favorite log entry from another cacher has to be this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25720&logs=y&decrypt=

Read the post for June 23 by Perfect Tommy. Interesting humor, had me laughing and reading it to other people. icon_wink.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

The log book for one of my caches got wet and had to be replaced. I scanned in the pages. Have a look at the different styles of logging.

Old Algoma5 Log Book

I think you can see the difference between the logs when there were no bugs out and when there were bugs. Also what I find impressive is people still tried to sign the log book when it was wet. The log book was replaced by a generous fellow Geocacher with a rite-as-rain log book.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

Personally I don't like to write long logs in the field. It's usually hot, and akward place to sit, or a heavily trafficked area. I prefer to give more details online,which people will more likely read before going to the cache. Any hints or warnings left in the log book aren't going to help those trying to get an idea of the cache's difficulty. As a matter of fact, yesterday I found a cache that was on a straight trail with good clues, and no problems; that doesn't leave much to write about. Besides, how much sweat does the next cacher want to see on the log book when they arrive? It's easily 90-100 degrees in the afternoons when I go out.

[This message was edited by NightHiker on September 01, 2002 at 01:50 PM.]