Length of logs for caches found!!!

I think that when someone finds a cache, it would be nice to spend some time and tell a little story about the circumstances surrounding the find. The person/team that placed the cache put a decent amount of effort into putting the thing together and logging it. It would be nice if the finders spend some time on their logs.

For example, StayFloppy & Bassonpilot have found hundreds of caches but still take the time to log a unique story about their adventure. Both have found all my stashes and I really appriciate their input to my page.

I am tired of the logs that read "great spot, took nothing, left nothing."

I find it very intersesting to read other peoples storys about caching. The first thing I do when I find a cache, is get out the logbook. The log book is the heart of the geocache, the internet log and the real book. I really appreceate reading what others say about my caches as well.

Usually when I log a find I tell why I was in the area, how long it took to find, the time and date, who was with me, what I thought of the area, and anything else interesting/unusual about the hunt. It would be nice if everybody did that.

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

Sometimes that's all there is to say about a cache. Sometimes there is a lot more to say. I wouldn't sweat it, and I definitly would not get bent over it.

I guess you could make it a rule. "Don't post a find unless you have a 650 word essay relating to the cache in some way" This would rule out Oregone though as he writes long logs that have nothing whatsoever to do with the cache, or so I've heard.

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

Looks like my logs! icon_wink.gif

All kidding aside, I looked at three of your caches. I thought you had many, many interesting and relatively long logs. Some even included a few pictures of their exploits. Whadda ya want, a book? icon_wink.gif

For me, I get nervous at the site always looking over my shoulder figuring everyone is watching me. So I try to write fast and get out outta there faster. Some people have all the time in the world I want to tell you their life's story. That's OK too. The point is most people appreciate your caches. It's just different strokes for different folks. Don't take it personal, life's too short.

Alan

quote:

Looks like my logs! icon_wink.gif

All kidding aside, I looked at three of your caches. I thought you had many, many interesting and relatively long logs. Some even included a few pictures of their exploits. Whadda ya want, a book? icon_wink.gif

For me, I get nervous at the site always looking over my shoulder figuring everyone is watching me. So I try to write fast and get out outta there faster. Some people have all the time in the world I want to tell you their life's story. That's OK too. The point is most people appreciate your caches. It's just different strokes for different folks. Don't take it personal, life's too short.

Alan

I'd be happy if everyone would simply MAKE A LOG. I mean, yes, putting a little color into the log is VERY VERY nice, but I have only two caches out there and already have run into a problem with people making NO logs. Worse yet, not logging taking a travel bug either.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I've done a mix of logs.

Sometimes the cache really has not done much for me and I'm not really impressed with it. Thus, a short log. Then again, some really lousy caches have gotten LONG logs with many "hints" encouraging them to get their act together.

Other times, I've had a real adventure and have been thrilled with the cache so I've written much more. After finding my fair share, its becoming easy to spot when the placer has put some passion behind their cache. Those are the ones I try to elaborate a bit more on.

Other caches are placed just to have a cache out there and they get the usual short response.

Man, I hate those kind, its like kissing your sister! icon_eek.gif

Keep cachin'

Smoochnme

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

I've done a mix of logs.

Sometimes the cache really has not done much for me and I'm not really impressed with it. Thus, a short log. Then again, some really lousy caches have gotten LONG logs with many "hints" encouraging them to get their act together.

Other times, I've had a real adventure and have been thrilled with the cache so I've written much more. After finding my fair share, its becoming easy to spot when the placer has put some passion behind their cache. Those are the ones I try to elaborate a bit more on.

Other caches are placed just to have a cache out there and they get the usual short response.

Man, I hate those kind, its like kissing your sister! icon_eek.gif

Keep cachin'

Smoochnme

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

I tend to be a bit wordy when I log a cache. Even some of my "not finds" are more than a few paragraphs. I also enjoy reading bout the adventures of those who've found one of my caches, so when it comes to one of my caches, I love long logs.

I somewhat agree that a cache owner who puts a lot of thought into the location and contents of the cache deserves a little bit more that "found cache, took pencil, left Happy Meal toy".

But everybody's personality is different and the reason for the length of our logs probably corresponds to our personality. There is the "man of few words" and the "gadfly".

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

My most recent logs have been pretty long. I've hit the log-length-limit a couple of times and had to break them into two entries.

Uh-oh! I checked your latest found log . . . maybe you should take that bike ride after all; it appears the cache may have gone missing. icon_eek.gif

quote:

My most recent logs have been pretty long. I've hit the log-length-limit a couple of times and had to break them into two entries.

Uh-oh! I checked your latest found log . . . maybe you should take that bike ride after all; it appears the cache may have gone missing. icon_eek.gif

I agree that a well-written log is good to read. It shows the cache owner that their effort of placing the cache is appreciated.

I've been guilty of leaving a long log or two (eh, BrianSnat icon_wink.gif )

Overall, I have found that the quality of logs on the website is improving.

deal.gif ...now, if we talk about the handwritings of the written logs at the cache .....yuck.gif

9929_1400.gif

I agree that a well-written log is good to read. It shows the cache owner that their effort of placing the cache is appreciated.

I've been guilty of leaving a long log or two (eh, BrianSnat icon_wink.gif )

Overall, I have found that the quality of logs on the website is improving.

deal.gif ...now, if we talk about the handwritings of the written logs at the cache .....yuck.gif

9929_1400.gif

I also believe that the on-line log is important. The cache log often will not be as involved because you don't have as much time to compose it. I enjoy reading my caches' logs and I did get a little disenchanted with a recent log on 'Great Caesar's Ghost' that simply said "left a buck."

I must say, however, that I have been known to write a short log on occasion. Sometimes, you are simply not 'moved' by a cache. It can be hard to write something interesting about a completely vanilla cache (or worse, an uninspired micro).

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

... Sometimes, you are simply not 'moved' by a cache. It can be hard to write something interesting about a completely vanilla cache (or worse, an uninspired micro).

I must agree with you, especially on some of the lamer virtual caches. A few times, I've felt like writing "Found it; e-mailed required information. Thanks."

After a while, one begins to recognize the "logging pattern" of the other local geocachers, and a change in the pattern is often indicative of what that cacher wasn't saying in his/her log.

quote:

I've even had a no-find that took up two entries.

You can blame this all on yrium.

Jamie

LMAO yes his logs are quite long but they are entertaining, and I always enjoy reading them.

I also have posted short logs sometimes because the cache did nothing for me, or I was in a hurry icon_wink.gif

quote:

I've even had a no-find that took up two entries.

You can blame this all on yrium.

Jamie

LMAO yes his logs are quite long but they are entertaining, and I always enjoy reading them.

I also have posted short logs sometimes because the cache did nothing for me, or I was in a hurry icon_wink.gif

I don't mind little, short logs every now and then. I certainly can't get upset at someone who chooses to write "TNLNSL, VF" on the log. Heck, I'm guilty of that occasionally, too. Ahh, but to those who post a grand account of their adventures, the real treasure of the cache lies within their words.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I started this topic just to get others opinions about short logs and most people made very good comments. I agree that it is difficult to elaborate about your adventure at the cache log. I was really talking about the website logs, but after reading people's comments, I agree that it is fine if someone writes a log that is right to the point.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I guess you could make it a rule. "Don't post a find unless you have a 650 word essay relating to the cache in some way"

I was actually thinking the minimum should be a 1000 word essay.

icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Skully & Mulder et al. on April 21, 2002 at 05:13 AM.]

I started this topic just to get others opinions about short logs and most people made very good comments. I agree that it is difficult to elaborate about your adventure at the cache log. I was really talking about the website logs, but after reading people's comments, I agree that it is fine if someone writes a log that is right to the point.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I guess you could make it a rule. "Don't post a find unless you have a 650 word essay relating to the cache in some way"

icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Skully & Mulder et al. on April 21, 2002 at 05:13 AM.]

quote:

icon_smile.gif

Those who don't like to elaborate in their logs could hire comic strip character Snoopy to ghost write their essays, but I fear every one would begin "It was a dark and stormy night . . ."

icon_wink.gif

quote:

icon_smile.gif

Those who don't like to elaborate in their logs could hire comic strip character Snoopy to ghost write their essays, but I fear every one would begin "It was a dark and stormy night . . ."

icon_wink.gif

quote:

I think that when someone finds a cache, it would be nice to spend some time and tell a little story about the circumstances surrounding the find. The person/team that placed the cache put a decent amount of effort into putting the thing together and logging it. It would be nice if the finders spend some time on their logs.

For example, StayFloppy & Bassonpilot have found hundreds of caches but still take the time to log a unique story about their adventure. Both have found all my stashes and I really appriciate their input to my page.

are we talking on-line or in the cache?

If we're talking in cache, it's kinda nice to see the story, cause I'll sit & read them all (or at least a few), but on-line it's not that big a deal if you ask me. In the online I look for info regarding the cache or the area before I'm going, so stories aren't as important to me at that moment. Course that qualifies as info, so maybe you're right. I still wouldnt get in a wtwist though.

GWh

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

On my last cache, which is over a one mile hike, one way, I received lenghty logs on line from the first three who found it.

I enjoyed reading these on line, as I did not know if any one would want to go that far to get a cache.

All of them stated that they liked the long hike and enjoyed the scenery along the hike.

Great, now I am looking to put another cache in this same area.

On an 8 cache day where the find took about 10 min from the car:

TNLN Thanks!

OR

More recently I had to take a ferry out to an Island TWICE (on two seperate days). The second time I had a 9 month old on my back and a 10 year old in tow. Both my original NOT-FOUND entry and my FOUND entry were verbose.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

How many characters CAN I use on the web logs?

I don't know precisely... but my April 1 log (of the three I have) of

this cache is almost exactly the right length. When I wrote it, I got the length-limit message, so I deleted a few words and tried again and it went through. So that log is withing about 10 or 15 characters of the limit. Go ahead and count 'em. 280.gif

BP... Yeah, I saw those logs. I'm surprised, because it seemed to be hidden in a good spot, and it's a micro. Of course, like one of the other logs said, it's very near a restaurant, so maybe someone saw me find it and made them curious.

Jamie

How about:

finding the cache in driving rain, so hurriedly signing the log;

rustling up a Coyote exactly when you find the cache the first time you take your dog geocaching;

being several hours behind schedule, in part because you just kept looking...

or simply in awe of the view just over the top edge of the log book.

This past weekend was the best. Long hike: the half way point, two hours behind schedule, on a trail that is a wall on one side and a cliff on the other, I held up the GPS and said: "this thing says theres something exactly 325 ft off that cliff." You should have seen the look on the faces of the guys I was hiking with when we found the "Barbie Box", as it came to be known.

They weren't gonna wait for me to be poetic.

jim

quote:
Originally posted by jimNgeri:

finding the cache in driving rain, so hurriedly signing the log;

rustling up a Coyote exactly when you find the cache the first time you take your dog geocaching;

being several hours behind schedule, in part because you just kept looking...

or simply in awe of the view just over the top edge of the log book.

Jim, that's a perfect opportunity for a long online log. I can sit home while I'm supposed to be studying (like right now) and read about your adventures.

Jamie

Nothing wrong at all with a short written log, in fact, a short written log is a good idea, as in the field one doesn't have a lot of time to either write a long log, or read all the longer entries. However, once you get home, a nice detailed online log should not be a big problem for a person to fill out.

Me, I spent a long day with two small children and my wife we didn't get home until 11:00 pm, yet both of us took the time to sit down (after getting the kids in bed), and fill out the online logs, log the travel bugs we dropped off, and even give some details about the cache's we hit that day. We wanted to be sure that the caches were updated so that those looking up caches to visit the next day would know they could find travel bugs in the ones we dropped off, and so on. I even uploaded pictures for each of the caches we visited. The people who placed those caches went to some effort to allow me to have something to go hunting with the kids for, and the people who bought and placed the travel bugs took time and effort as well to provide a fun activity for me, so I feel it is my responsibility to THEM to promptly fill out log entries they can read online and even upload pictures, so that they can get enjoyment out of the cache that they placed for me to enjoy. And I am sure that not only the placers enjoy the logs, but other cachers probably do to, after all I enjoy reading others logs as well. It makes the whole game more enjoyable when people take the time to do their part, and if you are playing, you do have a part to play and a responsibility to others, if you don't want to have a part to play and a responsibility to others, then go play a game in a closet by yourselves. icon_wink.gif

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Nothing wrong at all with a short written log, in fact, a short written log is a good idea, as in the field one doesn't have a lot of time to either write a long log, or read all the longer entries. However, once you get home, a nice detailed online log should not be a big problem for a person to fill out.

Me, I spent a long day with two small children and my wife we didn't get home until 11:00 pm, yet both of us took the time to sit down (after getting the kids in bed), and fill out the online logs, log the travel bugs we dropped off, and even give some details about the cache's we hit that day. We wanted to be sure that the caches were updated so that those looking up caches to visit the next day would know they could find travel bugs in the ones we dropped off, and so on. I even uploaded pictures for each of the caches we visited. The people who placed those caches went to some effort to allow me to have something to go hunting with the kids for, and the people who bought and placed the travel bugs took time and effort as well to provide a fun activity for me, so I feel it is my responsibility to THEM to promptly fill out log entries they can read online and even upload pictures, so that they can get enjoyment out of the cache that they placed for me to enjoy. And I am sure that not only the placers enjoy the logs, but other cachers probably do to, after all I enjoy reading others logs as well. It makes the whole game more enjoyable when people take the time to do their part, and if you are playing, you do have a part to play and a responsibility to others, if you don't want to have a part to play and a responsibility to others, then go play a game in a closet by yourselves. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Uh-oh! I checked your latest found log . . . maybe you should take that bike ride after all; it appears the cache may have gone missing.

BP, headed out there today on my bike and all is well. Chalk it up to cachers who give up too easily. I even posted a little taunt on the cache page (as well as another suspected missing cache that I found today). icon_smile.gif

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Uh-oh! I checked your latest found log . . . maybe you should take that bike ride after all; it appears the cache may have gone missing.

BP, headed out there today on my bike and all is well. Chalk it up to cachers who give up too easily. I even posted a little taunt on the cache page (as well as another suspected missing cache that I found today). icon_smile.gif

Jamie

My physical logs are usually short, since my handwriting is lousy, and I like to get the cache re-hidden as quickly as I can.

My on-line logs tend to be a lot longer, and also cover a sometimes-important part of the cache: the return trip back to the car. Without the on-line log, who'd know that GeoGrrrl fell into a creek through the top of a Christmas tree, that we spotted an osprey soaring over the physical Prime Choices cache, that the challenge of the Pautzke Salmon Ponds is the hike back, or that I saw salmon being introduced into the wild at Ravine Rave?

Plus, you'll rarely see a physical log saying ''the hike out was a lot easier because I was able to follow the trail.''

"If a boy has enough intelligence, he ought to go into the ministry, except that if when he enters college he is given to carousing, drinking, and wenching, then in that case he should enter the law." - _Harvard Student Review_, 1796