Spinning Technique?

No crude jokes please. (lol)

I've read about people 'spinning' with their GPSr to get a better fix. Is this because your body can block a satellite signal? Would holding the unit above your head accomplish the same thing?

Silly question, perhaps. But I'm starting to lose sleep over it.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

I heard of something called the Magellan hula. Is that what you are referring to? I think it has something to do with the auto averaging feature.

The only time I spin my Vista is to calibrate the compass after changing batteries.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The only time I spin my Vista is to calibrate the compass after changing batteries.

I often find the compass on my Vista needs recalibrating after making a large move (like 100+ miles), but I have never needed to recalibrate after changing batteries. Is that really necessary? RM

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I often find the compass on my Vista needs recalibrating after making a large move (like 100+ miles), but I have never needed to recalibrate after changing batteries. Is that really necessary? RM

dont all gps need to be reinitialized/recalibrated after moving large distances (~300miles) while off?

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

How do you calibrate your compass after changing batteries?? Since the last time I changed batteries in my e-trex Venture my GoTo page is very inaccurate. I posted a question in the GPS forum and someone with a Legend said to calibrate the compass after changing batteries. My owners manual doesn't say anything about calibrating.

What is the procedure??

quote:
Originally posted by HJS:

How do you calibrate your compass after changing batteries??

Just go to the compass page, pull down the menu and click on calibrate compass. Click on start and start spinning around slowly (you really look stupid if you do it in a public place). When the little status bar fills up, you are done. It is that simple.

RM

quote:
Originally posted by HJS:

How do you calibrate your compass after changing batteries?? Since the last time I changed batteries in my e-trex Venture my GoTo page is very inaccurate. I posted a question in the GPS forum and someone with a Legend said to calibrate the compass after changing batteries. My owners manual doesn't say anything about calibrating.

What is the procedure??

You'll know when you need to recalibrate when it becomes difficult to get the "hold level" indicator to go out.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Thanks for the responses. So, I gather that those of us that don't have magnetic compasses in our units don't need to do the magnetic mambo? I have a GPS V, and I believe that the compass is GPS driven, and it points to true north.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

I have a GPS V, and I believe that the compass is GPS driven, and it points to true north.

If you mean the Garmin V, it does not have an internal compass.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
How do you calibrate your compass after changing batteries?? Since the last time I changed batteries in my e-trex Venture my GoTo page is very inaccurate. I posted a question in the GPS forum and someone with a Legend said to calibrate the compass after changing batteries.

You don't have to calibrate the Legend's compass because it doesn't have a electronic compass. I think the same goes for the Venture. As far as I know, the Vista and Summit are the only eTrex's with electric compasses that require calibration after changing the battery.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry