What are some cool ways caches have been hidden that you've found?

I think most of us who hide caches, want to go that "step above" in the way we hide caches. What are some of the cool ways you have seen caches hidden. I myself have seen caches that had magnets glued to them and under benches or the one that was tied to a rope and slung over a limb.

God bless you and your family,

Team Bubba Cache

Inside a fake tree limb attached to an oak, inside a pine cone (cone was out of place in a non-pine bush), inside a fake electrical box attached by magnetic to a light pole, behind a yellow reflector on a pole, in a container camo'ed to look like a branch in an orange tree.

Three caches come to mind.

One was on a walkway that used to be a railway line. The cache was on the end of a tressle. I must have searched for the darn thing for an hour. Searching the railing. Underneath. In the bushes. Finally I noticed the spacing on the railway ties on the bridge were off. THe cache placer had cut four inches off the end of a railway tie and nailed (yes nailed) the tupperware container to the other side. When put in place the other side of the tie simply looked like part of the bridge. I was really impressed with that one.

Another cache featured a fake rock (it was hollow).

but my favorite has to be the micro cache taped to the end of a dead branch and then suspended from a knot in a tree about 15 feet off the ground. You had to raise the branch and remove the micro container from it's hiding place to get the coordinates to a traditonal cache nearby. The cache log gave some clever clues so figuring out the branch-trick wasn't terribly difficult.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I once spent a good five minutes in the men's, then another 5 in the women's, outhouse at a local park before finally going back to the men's side and finding the multicache coordinates scrawled in pencil in a dark area near the roof of the room. Not only was it difficult, smelly, and embarasing (I couldn't avoid being seen emerging from the women's side and going into the men's), it was very cleverly hidden.

/Benjamin

My favorite find was a real log, split in two and hollowed out for the cache to go in. It was then held together by pencils, and placed next to another downed tree. The only way I found it was that the artifical lichen on top was a touch brighter then the local surrondings. It was a very inventive hide!

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

How about an altoids box painted to look like an steel light pole and then placed on the side so that it looks like a junction box. It was held on with a magnet. I swear it looked like it belonged. This is one you could drive right up to and log it from your car.

Weight Man

One of the stops in a multi-cache I did was wire-tie the next coordinates to a tree branch. The coordinates were laminated and held to the branch with thin wire...then a spent shotgun shell (yellow) was placed over it. The tree had yellow leaves and the shell was very hard to see. Here in Michigan, with all the hunters...seeing a spent shotgun shell doesn't get much attention anyway.... only two people found it before I had to archive it.

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

A cache in New Richmond Quebec on the Gaspe coast has so far been the best. I followed the GPS to the coords and placed the GPS on the railing of a bridge and proceeded to search in the cribbing of the bridge, both side (short walking bridge, shallow water). I did not have the cache page with me, just the coords but ended up calling my father for the hint. Stated on the main part of the page, the cache was in a small peanut butter jar, in the hand railing held in place by a metal plate and hook. The railing was made with 3 2in by 6in boards, 1 flat across and 2 on the bottom leaving just enough space to put the cache and plate with the hook and the eye a support post. I had placed my GPS litterly 2 inches from the cache and took an hour to find.

Car37 & Shnde

In plain view attached to a chain link fence, but masquerading as an electrical junction box.

And Yes! it is placed with permission of the facility it is located at.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Two come to mind. Both by the same cache designer. The first requires you to find and use a 2x12 hidden nearby as a bridge to a water intake in the middle of a creek. The cache is in a PVC pipe and looks like it is part of the natural works. It even comes with a homemade wodden wrench to open the cache.

The second is called out on a limb and requires you to climb an oak tree and site through a pvc pipe sort of like a telescope to see the location of of a rope which you follow to the final cache. It is then that you find out if you didn't find the clue on a bridge on the way in, you will not be able to access the cache. I just finished another one of his called Tribute. He uses info about local caches to construct a puzzle that needs to be solved to find the final cache. This guy is good. All of his caches are well thought out and inovative.

Wisdom comes with age... but sometimes age comes alone.

One of my favorites is this one: http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/35668_1000.jpg Took me a long time staring at it to figure it out. Now I enjoy reading the logs of others going through the same mental exercise - some more successfully than others icon_smile.gif.

Also on my favorites list are Northern Lights Challenge caches in Michigan - two of which are now sadly archived (see post above) - every micro different and all a tough find - the fungus colored one hidden in a fungus on a tree in a spot where GPS reception was bad was my favorite. Even had a ringer micro hidden close by which of course I found first and was all excited until I read the note inside icon_biggrin.gif

The one that comes to mind was made out of a switch box. It even had a light switch. The box was kept shut be velcro and had a magnet on the back. It was on the third floor of a parking garage and the only giveaway was that there was nothing to turn on or off. (we still wouldn't have found this one without the hint. The hint included the elevation so we kept moving up floors until we were are the correct elevation.

Some deer scat and other camo was carefully shellaced to a shingle that had a micro undernieth it. This was placed in plain site but near some growth that prevented people from trampling it.

Hollowed out log. It rattled when kicked! That was the give-away. {put packing in your cache}

Another was a stump hollowed out that had a matching section of trunk on top of it.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

My favorite find was a real log, split in two and hollowed out for the cache to go in. It was then held together by pencils, and placed next to another downed tree. The only way I found it was that the artifical lichen on top was a touch brighter then the local surrondings. It was a very inventive hide!

Make a sanity check.http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Sounds like one of Doc Ott's logs.

One of my favorites that I can think of is one that I did. It is a stage of a multi cache that victorymike and I worked on. I cored out a branch and placed a waterproof match container in it and attached a string to the container and the other end to a cork which served as the cap. I placed the log back where I found it in the woods, so it fit right in next to its brothers. I had the pleasure of watching others seek out this leg of the cache and laughed my butt off because everyone picked it up and looked at it from top to bottom but still had no clue. At one point someone picked it up and threw it about 20 feet. The next person came along and picked it up and carried it another 40 feet away before one last person picked it up and threw it another 30 feet away from its orginal location. I'm glad we were there watching otherwise they would have never found it and it would have ****ed the next finders off a bit, I'm sure. I thought it wasn't too big of a deal until I saw everyone troubling over it. Its always been my goal to do something unique and different and I think that so far (with the exceptions of my lame virst) I have achieved that. I'm trying to figure how to a really cool urban cache in my town but it hasn't hit me yet. I've heard of and seen most things mentioned here and may try a variation of something but want to try something different but am not sure what yet.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....