Using existing caches for off-set

Guest Markwell

Guest Markwell

How would you feel about using an existing cache as an off-set for another cache not too far away?

I logged a find on a cache recently placed near my work, and I've walked that forest preserve on many lunch hours. On the hike back to the trailhead is a little secluded glen that is just gorgeous, and I'd hate to have the cachers miss that view just because it's so close to the other one.

I see 2 options...

1) I could place the cache as a separate cache (However, I do like the tennant of not placing separate caches too close together) icon_frown.gif

2) I could log the cache as the same coordinates as the first cache (with the first cache hider's permission, of course) and then ask the original hider to place something permanent in his cache, leading them to the new coordinates on the hike back. This would make this a "bonus" cache, but it might be confusing to the newbie to have two caches listed as the exact same coordinates.

Which would you as a cache finder prefer? confused.gif

Guest bob_renner

Post a log in the web site cache page mentioning that there is a bonus set of coordinates in the log book of the first cache. Then make the entry and description of your spot in the log book.

Bob

Guest streamer

I think that multiple cache locations off the primary cache can add an extra dimension to a find; a sense of mystery. A web map can help locate the primary cache, but your on your own for the other cache or caches. That's the way I placed my first cache, hoping to add some unprepared adventure.

Guest Bryan

Hi Markwell - If it was the Herrick Lake Stash, that was one of the 3 caches I placed. I would be all for you placing one next to it as a bonus cache. E-amil me at TCGGrafix@aol.com and we can "talk". (Plus I want the coordinates for the new cache without having to return to mine any time soon!) icon_wink.gif Let me know! Bryan

Guest Bryan

Also, I don't see any harm with placing a cache to close to another. Hell....we are always looking for a new cache! We never seem to have to many. The more the better! Besides....I want to get to see the location you mentioned. Bryan

------------------

:P Come on Markwell, you've been around long enough to know....

Huh? :) It's an old thread? How old? :anicute: Wow, that's old.

In that case, it isn't relevant to the current guidelines. Also, it sounds like each cache would be permanently hidden in locations allowed by the guidelines.

Edited by sbell111

In that case, it isn't relevant to the current guidelines. Also, it sounds like each cache would be permanently hidden in locations allowed by the guidelines.

Yeah, but it is interesting to see where we have come from, and how far we have come.

Although some will probably say, how far we have fallen... :anicute:

Yeah, but it is interesting to see where we have come from, and how far we have come.

Although some will probably say, how far we have fallen... :anicute:

I'm still unclear on how this thread ties into the current 'troubles'.

Although some will probably say, how far we have fallen... :P

I'm still unclear on how this thread ties into the current 'troubles'.

When he was a n00b, he used to sign the outside of the cache container with a sharpie. That is how he got the nickname "Markwell." :anicute: