multi caches that involve solving a system linear equations??

georapper

LL are 2 dimensional, by adding the third dimension, height, just adds 1 more equation to the mix. elevation will only be useful if it is at least 20-30% of the total distance given from the known cache to the unknown cache. yeah, this type of multicache has to be thought out carefully, otherwise if the LL distances are more than roughly 5X the elevation deviation, the error introduced by the elevation will be very small and it could be solved using 2D system, 2 equations in two unknowns. i have been doing some field tests in my local area to determine the elevation error. if the error is more than 20-30%, then adding elevation will be unreliable and i won't be able to proceed with the 3rd variable, i'll have to settle for 2D.

Remember that a GPSr, even with a lock on four satellites, can only guarantee you an elevation within 75 feet or so of what it "should" be. Furthermore, the receiver assumes an ellipsoid shape, and not the more complex geoid that represents the average global sea level. The two can differ by hundreds of feet one way or the other. If you are going to provide equations, you should direct cachers to have a barometric-pressure altimeter and remind them to calibrate it before going on the hunt. But even those are only going to be accurate to within 10 feet. So it might be safer to have people read an altitude off a map, where they will all get the same number. Otherwise, how could anyone know that they would get the same solution as you?

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Three points don't give a unique elevation; that's why your GPS doesn't show elevation until you get 4 satellites.

Not true. Consumer GPSs assume that you're probably not in the space shuttle, and so can eliminate one of the two possible positions when only 3 satellites are available.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Three points don't give a unique elevation; that's why your GPS doesn't show elevation until you get 4 satellites.

Not true. Consumer GPSs assume that you're probably not in the space shuttle, and so can eliminate one of the two possible positions when only 3 satellites are available.

Not not true. All GPS receivers (including consumer receivers) need an accurate time reference, too, so they can't get a 3D fix (4D, including time) without 4 satellites locked. You can get a so-called "2D" fix without the fourth satellite, but it's very approximate (it makes assumptions about elevation that are unlikely to be true unless you just lose the 3D fix for a short time.)

warm.gif

i've solved a 2D with 3 positions, i can solve a 3D with 3 positions. yeah, there are certain assumptions but it works so i'll go with it.

if elevation accuracy is a problem, then it won't work. i'm talking about very short distances, on the order of less than 0.2 miles. the curvature of the earth is a very small error at these small distances.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Not not true. All GPS receivers (including consumer receivers) need an accurate time reference, too, so they can't get a 3D fix (4D, including time) without 4 satellites locked.

Absolutly right. I was reading "elevation" but my brain was telling me "position".

Hey, it was very late... icon_biggrin.gif

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

The rough rule of thumb is the vertical positional error is 3x the horizontal.

Like most 'rules of thumb' individuals will experience situations where that is not true, but is sufficiently accurate for generalizations.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

just had an idea. if i give the location in 2D for 3 points, then at each point i will provide a distance to the 4th unknown point and provide an elevation error correction factor. that's all elevation is, a correction factor for a 2D surface, that's redundant, i know. by providing a "correction foctor", i don't have make the distance between the 4th unknown point and the 3 known points short and small relative to elevation. this way, i can provide any distance i want to the 4th unknown point and make up any number i want as the correction factor. i don't have to make a short multicache and i don't have to worry about elevation errors between gpsr's. this is great, i'm excited. by the way, this is a very simple linear system of 3 equations. the quadratic terms cancel out early in the equating process and you are left with 3 very simple linear equations. i will describe how to do this on the webpage for the multicache. by the time i'm done describing how to do this, if someone can't do it in a few minutes, what's the purpose of going to school? just to have something to forget? this is what i do for leisure.

I'm not certain where you are going with this. Cheesehead Dave made one called ''Gee, I'm a Tree'' which involved triangulation math. I loved it and plan to do one like it in a different area. My point though, is that only a small number of people took the time to do it. But, its a big world so go for it.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

More important is WHY?

I geocache because it's an excuse to get outside and hike around. If I want to do more math I'll just stay at work.

You just stick to your 1/1 caches there bub. But understand that some of us like the outdoors AND math. We are not freaks either, we are geeks. Nothing burns me more than people who put down people who excel at different things than themselves.

In regards to the original post, do the calculation with and without the elevation correction. Do you get the same Lat/lon either way? Probably, so who cares what the elevation is? When you are actually at the cache there is one possible elevation, right? If you plan on putting it in a tree (and getting the exact elevation above the ground) then you have to have a hyper accurate lock, or put it in a 200' tree icon_smile.gif

I did a cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=40996) that requires very long distance/bearing calculations (>800 miles for one of them) that you must use ugly great circle math. I enjoy doing these tyoes of caches almost as must as I enjoy making them.

-Doc Ott

A day without thermonuclear fusion is like a day without sunshine.

MIGO_logo_animated88x31.gif