Youngest (born) Geocacher

teamwsmf

Little Lost One was 8 weeks when he went on his first cache hunt. We had him in his car carrier on the stroller. I don't recommend this. Much too hard pushing that stroller off road/trail. We did the stroller thing again the following weekend on another hunt, we took turns standing on the side of the trail on that hunt. It was a pretty busy hiking trail and we felt a bit awkward standing on the side of the trail while one of us was off in the brush looking for the cache.

If you don't already have one get a Baby Bjorn. They are expensive but you pay for quality. They are very comfortable, will hold the baby facing either direction and you can get extra long straps so Dad can carry the baby too. I think they also have the highest weight rating, so you can use it until they are ready for a regular framed backpack carrier. I also like the fact that with him close to me like that I can make sure he stay's warm. (Keep's mom warm & toasty as well )

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai icon_smile.gif

Little Lost One was 8 weeks when he went on his first cache hunt. We had him in his car carrier on the stroller. I don't recommend this. Much too hard pushing that stroller off road/trail. We did the stroller thing again the following weekend on another hunt, we took turns standing on the side of the trail on that hunt. It was a pretty busy hiking trail and we felt a bit awkward standing on the side of the trail while one of us was off in the brush looking for the cache.

If you don't already have one get a Baby Bjorn. They are expensive but you pay for quality. They are very comfortable, will hold the baby facing either direction and you can get extra long straps so Dad can carry the baby too. I think they also have the highest weight rating, so you can use it until they are ready for a regular framed backpack carrier. I also like the fact that with him close to me like that I can make sure he stay's warm. (Keep's mom warm & toasty as well )

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai icon_smile.gif

My first isn't here yet, but I made a guess based upon when I think I can get the little guy in a carrier without my wife freakin' out. I'm also planning on immediately working on the hand/eye coordination - as I have grand plans for him to play Major League baseball. icon_biggrin.gif

My first isn't here yet, but I made a guess based upon when I think I can get the little guy in a carrier without my wife freakin' out. I'm also planning on immediately working on the hand/eye coordination - as I have grand plans for him to play Major League baseball. icon_biggrin.gif

While the age of first time geocachers has decreased dramatically as the sport has gained popularity, Delaney (now 2 yrs) was (argueably) the first world's youngest geocacher at 7 months when she bagged her first cache in September 2000. A seasoned veteran, she now concentrates on training her rookie sister, Ashlyn (5 mos) on the fine art of front carrier gymnastics, projectile vomiting, and backwoods serentiy disruption.

Oh, and she and her sister will be playing MLB as well icon_wink.gif

Congrats to those of you with new and/or due geocachers.

5505_600.gif

While the age of first time geocachers has decreased dramatically as the sport has gained popularity, Delaney (now 2 yrs) was (argueably) the first world's youngest geocacher at 7 months when she bagged her first cache in September 2000. A seasoned veteran, she now concentrates on training her rookie sister, Ashlyn (5 mos) on the fine art of front carrier gymnastics, projectile vomiting, and backwoods serentiy disruption.

Oh, and she and her sister will be playing MLB as well icon_wink.gif

Congrats to those of you with new and/or due geocachers.

5505_600.gif

My daughter was caching with me at 10 monhts old. We had a bad experience with it, however, that taught me a valuable lesson about bringing small children along on some of the caches. You can read about here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1240&logs=y&decrypt=y#23165

Samantha continues to join me on some caches, but I'm much more careful now. I'm looking forward to when she's older and enjoys it even more. Right now she is only 1 year old.

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah

As the holders of the world's most pregnant geocacher title (extended to 40 weeks 5 days with some caching yesterday), I'll see if we can get my wife to let me take the youngster out this weekend.

He should be born tomorrow (Wed) - heck if he's born in the morning, we should be able to have him out caching by sundown icon_cool.gif

As the holders of the world's most pregnant geocacher title (extended to 40 weeks 5 days with some caching yesterday), I'll see if we can get my wife to let me take the youngster out this weekend.

He should be born tomorrow (Wed) - heck if he's born in the morning, we should be able to have him out caching by sundown icon_cool.gif

During our hunts my poor daughter has taken her share of lumps too. On her second hunt, as she rode in the backpack, I had to duck under some low branches. I grabbed them to try and lift them over her head but lost grip and they whipped across her face, leaving her scratched, bleeding and wailing at the top of her lungs. Her mother was not happy when I returned her perfect baby slightly damaged.

Another trip had similar consequences, although this time it was the branch of a sticker bush which caught her smack dab on the top of her head and left a few prickers behind. Mom was there this time and we had to carefully remove them from her scalp. I don't know who cried harder, my daughter or my wife icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif

During our hunts my poor daughter has taken her share of lumps too. On her second hunt, as she rode in the backpack, I had to duck under some low branches. I grabbed them to try and lift them over her head but lost grip and they whipped across her face, leaving her scratched, bleeding and wailing at the top of her lungs. Her mother was not happy when I returned her perfect baby slightly damaged.

Another trip had similar consequences, although this time it was the branch of a sticker bush which caught her smack dab on the top of her head and left a few prickers behind. Mom was there this time and we had to carefully remove them from her scalp. I don't know who cried harder, my daughter or my wife icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif

Hmm, old topic, but I'd rather not start a new one.

My baby Ashley's been on two hunts with me now. She's older than the kids mentioned here, at just under 14 months. I can't wait until she's old enough to appreciate it! I wish like anything this was around when I was a kid.

Before leaving to cache yesterday, we told her to get her shoes, and out of her shoe box, she picked out her little hiking boots. Daddy couldn't have been prouder. icon_biggrin.gif

Hmm, old topic, but I'd rather not start a new one.

My baby Ashley's been on two hunts with me now. She's older than the kids mentioned here, at just under 14 months. I can't wait until she's old enough to appreciate it! I wish like anything this was around when I was a kid.

Before leaving to cache yesterday, we told her to get her shoes, and out of her shoe box, she picked out her little hiking boots. Daddy couldn't have been prouder. icon_biggrin.gif