Mini Cache designation needed

I think that there should be a designation for mini caches that are between traditional caches and micro caches. Too many times I have gone to caches that are listed as traditional, only to have them end up being a spray-painted margarine tub or something of a similar size. No change to place a hitchhiker with a travel bug in there. I have also gone to caches listed as micros that were filled with small trade items.

It seems that very few caches I have gone to are good sized, but I haven't found that many yet. I just wish I had a better idea of what size to expect when I go to a cache.

Deer laugh when they hear my name!

http://www.geocities.com/ihunts

And the picture should contain a dead giveaway of the cache location too.

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else see a penguin taking a bow underneath Mr. Snazz's shades? icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Hmmm... I kinda see not knowing the size or physicaly appearance of the cache is part if the game... it makes it a little more challenging. I'm always surprised by what the caches I find actually look like, and I think being flexible about your finds will make you a happier cacher! icon_smile.gif I can see your point though, because it's easy to get frustrated when you don't know what you're looking for. But again, it's part of the game!

It's a great idea. Heck, "regular" covers everything between a film canister and a 5 gallon bucket. That's a pretty big range! Has anybody ever seen a "large" cache (5 gallon bucket, or larger?).

But with some 60,000+ caches out there with the old designations, it's probably to late to start it now. I doubt we can get all the cache owners to go back and change their existing designation. If we started with a new one at this point, it will only cause more confusion.

BTW, I call my decon container caches micros, just so people know to bring small stuff to trade.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 30, 2003 at 02:51 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Has anybody ever seen a "large" cache (5 gallon bucket, or larger?).

We put out a 105mm Howitzer tube and called it a large. It's got a little over 3 and a half gallons of volume and is over three feet long. You can put a lot of stuff in there! Being long and thin makes it easy to hide up against a log.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I've seen several larges. I've seen a dishwasher detergent bucket; two footlocker-sized Rubbermaid-type (one of them is one of the first caches in Michigan, barely hidden in front of an old observatory); but the best have been buckets with screw-on lids, disguised as tree stumps. One example, and the same one from a distance. People have fit welcome mats in these things.

Back on tpoic, I'd like a mini designation as well. ONe of my caches is an AOL tin, which is bigger than what I'd consider micro but too small for most trade items and TBs (people have managed, though).

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

I just carry an assortment of trade items with me, that why I am covered. You can some times get a feel how large a cache is from what is listed in the cache by the cache owner.

With the picture of the cache idea you can have a giant penny or a mini penny for a magic shop next to the cache to really drive people nuts. WHat an idea. icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gifhmmmmm

I see lots of sarcasm above, but I agree completely with Huntnlady. I am planning to place a cache that falls between the two. It is the size of about 3 or 4 film canisters laid end-to-end. I would LOVE to call it a MINI- as I believe it's much larger than a a true Micro. AND--- I WANT to know roughly what size I'm looking for. I don't want to be looking under logs or in brush piles if I'm supposed to be looking INSIDE the logs, etc. because the container is much smaller than a real traditional. So I am officially voting in favor of the new "Mini-" designation.

I don't think anyone was saying that the dimensions of the cache should be notated (and yes, I know it was sarcasm). Heck - if you don't want to put anything else except cache type, coordinates and terrain difficulty rating, you don't have to (I think my next cache description will have nothing more than the words "Find It").

But for those who like to give a little more information, having something between 35mm and ammo box makes sense.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I don't think anyone was saying that the dimensions of the cache should be notated (and yes, I know it was sarcasm). Heck - if you don't want to put anything else except cache type, coordinates and terrain difficulty rating, you don't have to (I think my next cache description will have nothing more than the words "Find It").

But for those who like to give a little more information, having something between 35mm and ammo box makes sense.

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

I can't believe Markwell posted to this thread without markwelling all the other threads where this has been discussed. I'll give him a chance to redeem himself.

As I've stated before, I'll all for something between mini and ammo box. Several of my caches are around 3x3x5 inches, not big enough for many trade items, but certainly not a micro.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Has anybody ever seen a "large" cache (5 gallon bucket, or larger?).

I've placed a 5 gallon bucket as a cache. It's a hard find for some reason.

But I agree half my trade items are to small for what gets listed as regular.

There does need to be something between Micro and Regular.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

i think the real problem is that as micros have gotten smaller, there's a HUGE range of sizes covered by regular. i cover it by listing whatever it's closest to.

i have a 4 1/2 gallon bucket i called large. it wouldn't bother me to have a samll category, but i don't really need one either.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

Ideally we'd have Micro, for Altoids tins, film cannisters and smaller. Small for decon boxes and Rubbermaid/Tupperware containers up to about a cup, or so. Regular for everything between small and about two galllons, including .50 cal ammo boxes and Large for anything over 2 gallons.

Still, it's a little late in the game to start with new designations. It won't work, unless you can get every cache owner to go back and change their cache size.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I don't think it's too late-

Besides, I'd rather see the Mini category applied now and forward, at least the new 'mini' caches would give people a better idea of size. Some might change the designations of their older caches that fit the category. Big whoop if there are some that don't change to mini.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Even if the old ones don't all get changed, so what? The new ones will, and the cache hiders that maintain their caches and cache pages will.

the ones that don't? No cache lives forever. Eventually the ones that never changed will get archived. Just because it doesn't improve the past is no reason not to try and makes things better for the future.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.