Event Trinkets

Coming up on the Geocaching Event Season (think BIG picnics) I'm sure many of the coordinators are wondering the same thing I am: What kind of trinkets (if any) should we give away at the picnic?

Last year at the Chicago pincic, we sold $1 mugs with a very nicely designed logo inserted into the liner of the mug. Cheap and a novelty.

Last year's Wisconsin picnic gave out refridgerator magnets.

Thinking cheap and able to be mass produced easily, what kinds of things have you either gotten or would like to get? Keep in mind that this is a picnic of 50-100 cachers, kids and adults, and that you could charge a minimal fee ($1-$3US) for each item.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

We got pins at our SoCal picnic. Uneakone has a button machine and made a basket full of pins for us, and the cacher's who had posted a note to the page saying they would be here even got personalised buttons with our caching names on them. She then took the time to hide them individually for us so we could claim them as a cache find! I'm not sure how to put a picture on here, but they were very nice. White with the black part of the logo on them with the picnic title and date. I love mine.

Oh, and they had a shamrock on them too. It was St. Patrick's day.

One of my most treasured event trinkets was not from a geocaching event (as I have never been to one), but it may spark an idea for you. It was a Jeep event, out in the woods, in a rocky area:

I received a rock smaller than my fist, hand- painted with the name and date of the event. Some of the kids did not want to particiapte in all the Jeep events, so they stayed near camp and did the hand-painting themselves, with adult supervision, of course.

-----

dartfrogsmall.jpg

Wow, that many people come to an event cache? We're having our first over here in Idaho on May 11 and we have only four families signed up so far ... but they each have lots of kids, so I guess that will make for a bigger crowd.

I've made up a stained glass suncatcher and am planning on giving one to each 'household' that attends. There's a picture posted here. They were time consuming, but not very expensive, and I was taking a stained glass class anyway, so it gave me some practice.

Oh, the point (besides showing off the suncatcher) ... maybe if you are doing a bigger item, you could plan on making up one per family instead of one per cacher.

As another thought, I love the geocaching magnets (all two of them) I've collected so far...

What about the geocaching music CD? They wouldn't be too expensive to burn, and you're the original cache music dude, if I remember correctly icon_smile.gif

Wow, that many people come to an event cache? We're having our first over here in Idaho on May 11 and we have only four families signed up so far ... but they each have lots of kids, so I guess that will make for a bigger crowd.

I've made up a stained glass suncatcher and am planning on giving one to each 'household' that attends. There's a picture posted here. They were time consuming, but not very expensive, and I was taking a stained glass class anyway, so it gave me some practice.

Oh, the point (besides showing off the suncatcher) ... maybe if you are doing a bigger item, you could plan on making up one per family instead of one per cacher.

As another thought, I love the geocaching magnets (all two of them) I've collected so far...

What about the geocaching music CD? They wouldn't be too expensive to burn, and you're the original cache music dude, if I remember correctly icon_smile.gif

We're in the early planning stages of an Event cache for this summer. Since magnets are kind of our signature item we are thinking of doing up a special design for the event.

They will also be used in an actual cache hunt the day of, but i'm not saying any more. icon_rolleyes.gif Don't want to give any secrets away.

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

We're in the early planning stages of an Event cache for this summer. Since magnets are kind of our signature item we are thinking of doing up a special design for the event.

They will also be used in an actual cache hunt the day of, but i'm not saying any more. icon_rolleyes.gif Don't want to give any secrets away.

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

Trouble is - I don't want to burn 50 CDs. I use that as kind of a sig item to place in caches anyway.

Suncatcher is really nice, but I'm not that talented or patient. Give me a sharp object and soon you'll be picking up spare fingers off the floor.

To see the crew that came out to last year's event, take a look at this year's page. We've got a picture up there from the 2001 picnic.

I am leaning toward the magnets. We've got several graphic artists in the area that could help us design and/or produce the image - then we just need to get it on the magnetic backing (which I've heard is pretty easy).

Still looking for better suggestions...

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Trouble is - I don't want to burn 50 CDs

If you change your mind about CD's, I happen to have a commercial CD duplicator that has a built in CD printer. I get bulk printable CDs at a fair price, and if you had content (non-copyrighted icon_wink.gif ) and something you wanted printed on them, give me a shout...

What about those smaller, rectangular 'business card' cd-roms? I think I can burn/print those as well, and they make neat handouts. Just what would you put on them?

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Trouble is - I don't want to burn 50 CDs

If you change your mind about CD's, I happen to have a commercial CD duplicator that has a built in CD printer. I get bulk printable CDs at a fair price, and if you had content (non-copyrighted icon_wink.gif ) and something you wanted printed on them, give me a shout...

What about those smaller, rectangular 'business card' cd-roms? I think I can burn/print those as well, and they make neat handouts. Just what would you put on them?

Member:

banner-small.gif

I have been looking for something to use as our team signature item. These sites have tons of ideas!

Not plugging anyone, I found them doing a search for "event or trade show giveaways."

http://www.promostar.com/

http://www.exclusivegifts.com/

http://www.adcomarketing.com/

http://hookedonpromos.com/tradeshow_giveaways.html

http://www.branders.com/

I had to register to view the branders catalog.

Markwell, I hope this helps...there are tons of ideas out there and I have no idea what your budget will allow.

Series #3 is out in the wild now, and series #4 and #5 are at the printers.

I'm woefully behind in keeping my web site up to date...I'll post images of the newest magnets when I get a chance.

The best way to get #3 right now is to do this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18815

But that will take you about 3 hours in the field plus travel time to Florida. :-) :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Shel: