Merchandise suggestion

sparc77

My concern might be ungrounded, but when I'm out I'm afraid that if someone sees me and suspects what I'm doing, they might follow me and damage or steal the cache. I think I would remove any geocaching tags while hunting. Anyone else concerned about this? I know that our symbol isn't highly recognizable right now, but it's becoming more so every day. What do you think?

Piratess

Is that kind of thing a problem where you live?

We generally don't have that kind of problem. Most people who are on the trails are generally not interested in such mischief. I can see how it might be an issue with urban/suburban caches, but in the rural areas, most hikers, horse riders, etc. have pretty good integrity.

While I can appreciate your concerns, and being aware of your surroundings is good practice, to assume that someone is going to go out of their way to follow me just to raid a box filled with dime-store knick-knacks (especially if it will involve a 5 mile or more round trip hike) to me it sounds like paranoia.

No offense.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

But... why not just a sticker on the existing one, that way you know it will fit your particular tire.

I really don't have a problem with that as long as it won't fade, peel or wrinkle. Stickers on glass or metal have a solid backing, and are less likely to do that kind of thing, but tire covers are flexible and a sticker is much more likely to peel away. And unless you plan to get "big-foot" tires, most covers have a certian amount of elasticity to allow them to go with a range of tire sizes.

I still like the idea of the covers. A cover with the Groundspeak character on it would be a much better improvement over the cover that came with my Jeep.

QUOTE:

My concern might be ungrounded, but when I'm out I'm afraid that if someone sees me and suspects what I'm doing, they might follow me and damage or steal the cache. I think I would remove any geocaching tags while hunting. Anyone else concerned about this? I know that our symbol isn't highly recognizable right now, but it's becoming more so every day. What do you think?

Piratess

Hmm, a name like piratess, seeing your car at a cache, I'd figure ya were raiding the cache and would put your car up on blocks with the waypoints for each of your 4 tires written in the dust on your rear window.

JOKE people, dont flame me.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Originally posted by Captain Chaoss:

QUOTE:

...Hmm, a name like piratess, seeing your car at a cache, I'd figure ya were raiding the cache and would put your car up on blocks with the waypoints for each of your 4 tires written in the dust on your rear window....

Well, I'm catching on that in this world, pirating is equated with looting the cache! icon_frown.gif I love all things pirate, and even named my quilting studio "Snugglers Cove Quilting." I was originally "She-Pirate," then changed it. I was thinking of ADVENTURE!! EXPLORATION!! DRAMA!! EXCITEMENT!! MYSTERY!! WANDERER!! LANDLOPER!! NOMAD!! Not looter. <sigh I'll consider changing it.

Now, Captain Chaoss, as for my car, you should know that each tire is equipped with two things: pink dye that explodes onto any unsuspecting vandal who tries to remove them, and a homing device to make retrieval easier. Also, writing on my window would provide your fingerprints, so you could be pursued and tortured by being forced to witness the removal of all of your geogaching-related appurtenances!

The good . . .

Piratess

Ah Piratess,

A women after my own heart ! Such diabolical means of dealing with malcontents ! My personal version of car security is a VERY protective mini-lab named Lucy, or as I call her half the time, LUCIPHER.

No need to change your name. The rest of us will survive your buccaneer nomenclature. Was merely making a witty, or stupid, jab at ya. icon_wink.gif You needn't worry about political correctness here. Have fun, and good luch at finding hidden treasure.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

smile.gif

I'd just leave it as piratess. I really don't think anyone will take it the wrong way. I mean who would call him/herself a pirate who actually was?

As for the tire covers, the last one I had posessed a pull string in the back that allowed it to go over most tires (albiet the fit was sorta snug on my over-sized-Rich-Mountain-4x4-trail-climbing-set. There are presently 4 caches on that trail, and it has become something of a GA geocaching ironman/woman marathon to try to do them all in one day.

scenes from Rich Mountain

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18900&log=y&decrypt=

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?IID=f62f78a8-8292-4ab7-b18b-956e71f542d9&LID=111270

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/10433_300.jpg