Nobody's business but mine.

Guest Kimrobin

Guest Kimrobin

For me the new pay per play system throws up a problem. I have no objection to paying, I want to support the site and enable it to expand. I'm happy to join up, but I have problems with the issue of people being able to see who has paid and who hasn't.

Is there a real need to have that Charter Member logo on your profile page? I can't see why it's there other than to promote elitism.

Alex

(preparing to be flamed by "Charter Members")

I tend to agree with this. I fully endorse the concept of paying for this site...we use it and enjoy, the least we can do is help finance it. But.......having an icon that identifies members is simply gratuitous, not to mention unneccesary. If you are a member, you know it....and if you are not..you know that as well. I wont require an icon to remind me that my check cleared!

Nix the icon, cash the check...and lets get on with the game.

~macro~

From a marketing viewpoint the icon is a good idea. It's kind of like all the trashy looking Tommy Hillfiger shirts and the Oakley logos we see everywhere. It would encourage many folks to join in on all of the fun they perceive that they're missing. Many people want to feel like they are in with the in-crowd and that's OK. Look at all the bumper stickers and decals we see when driving down the road. If folks like it - that's fine. If floks don't - that's fine, too.

------------------

Lost somewhere in southern Ohio, Wow!

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by Wow!:

.... Look at all the bumper stickers and decals we see when driving down the road. If folks like it - that's fine. If floks don't - that's fine, too.

Well said

348_1002.gif

Guest whidbeywalk

The only reason to go to someone?s profile page is to learn more about that user. Email them, see what caches they have found or hidden or whatever other information the user wants to show. Why not also include a small tasteful icon noting that the user has supported the site financially?

If someone thinks this makes them an elite cacher, I don?t really care. They most likely would think of themselves that way with or with out the icon, and I just can?t see how it would affect another cacher.

Look at all the bumper stickers and decals we see when driving down the road. If folks like it - that's fine. If floks don't - that's fine, too.

I don't have bumper stickers or decals on my car. That's my choice. And I'm not really crazy about the idea of a "bumper sticker" here either. icon_frown.gif Hopefully there will come a day we'll have a choice as to the "Charter Member" logo. Until then, I'll stick with "Geocacher." icon_smile.gif

"Listen to the land with your heart, it will speak to your soul." kcd

Look at all the bumper stickers and decals we see when driving down the road. If folks like it - that's fine. If floks don't - that's fine, too.

I don't have bumper stickers or decals on my car. That's my choice. And I'm not really crazy about the idea of a "bumper sticker" here either. icon_frown.gif Hopefully there will come a day we'll have a choice as to the "Charter Member" logo. Until then, I'll stick with "Geocacher." icon_smile.gif

Since "Charter Member" is next to my name, please don't take an immediate defensive stance. icon_smile.gif

I honestly am trying to understand what your hang-ups are about a simple little icon. If you don't want one, then don't get one. It's a simple as that. Why knock those who get a "warm fuzzy" out of this simple little thing? You can cache as you always have and not be bothered with it.

If I discuss something with you in the forums, what is next to your name doesn't make me respond any differently. Regardless of the icon, everyone here are fellow Geocachers and over time will share experiences and gain friendships just as we always have...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

Since "Charter Member" is next to my name, please don't take an immediate defensive stance. icon_smile.gif

I honestly am trying to understand what your hang-ups are about a simple little icon. If you don't want one, then don't get one. It's a simple as that. Why knock those who get a "warm fuzzy" out of this simple little thing? You can cache as you always have and not be bothered with it.

If I discuss something with you in the forums, what is next to your name doesn't make me respond any differently. Regardless of the icon, everyone here are fellow Geocachers and over time will share experiences and gain friendships just as we always have...

-exConn

We have always had these issues. There are still many cachers who have found many caches, and never placed one. We know who they are, and while there is occasionally a flare-up regarding their mode of participation, I would hardly say it is out of hand.

If someone doesn't want to pay, then they shouldn't pay. And I don't care whether they do or don't. Personally, I think not placing any caches is a greater violation of caching etiquette than not buying a subscription. By far.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

Originally posted by exConn:

I honestly am trying to understand what your hang-ups are about a simple little icon. If you don't want one, then don't get one. It's a simple as that.

Well, actually it isn't as simple as that. If I choose to become a Charter Member to gain access to the MOcaches, then I'm "titled." Like it or not. All I'm asking for is a choice in the matter.

Why knock those who get a "warm fuzzy" out of this simple little thing?

I wasn't aware I had ever knocked anyone.

If I discuss something with you in the forums, what is next to your name doesn't make me respond any differently.

I'm glad to hear you say that. However, I have read posts that have led me to believe that it's the heavy posters that are the most highly regarded, not necessarily the ones who post when they really have something to say. It's my fear the same will happen with the titles since we are not all on the same playing field now.

Regardless of the icon, everyone here are fellow Geocachers ...

I hope you're right! I hope it continues to be so. I don't like titles (it's a personal thing; if you do, I have no problem with that). Certainly time will tell, I hope my initial bad feelings about this will eventually go away. Right now I'm simply asking for a choice.

My apologies if this sounds defensive. I don't intend it.

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

If someone doesn't want to pay, then they shouldn't pay. And I don't care whether they do or don't. Personally, I think not placing any caches is a greater violation of caching etiquette than not buying a subscription. By far.

bunkerdave

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/6327_1600.gif

Well said.

I just subscribed, and I've only been caching 2 months. I also placed my first cache within 2 weeks of starting to play the game. If you haven't placed (or are planning to place) at least 1 cache, then you're not fully contributing to the game.IMHO

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

I wasn't aware I had ever knocked anyone.

Since my post immediately followed yours you may have inferred that I was directing it at you. I should have made it more clear that I was aiming it more at the whole thread.

Though I still strongly disagree, I appreciate your responses in trying to help me understand your point of view a little better...

-exConn

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

If someone doesn't want to pay, then they shouldn't pay. And I don't care whether they do or don't.

bunkerdave

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/6327_1600.gif

I didn't say that I didn't want to pay. I said that it was MY business if I paid or not, and no business of anyone elses. I think having two classes of geocacher based on how much money they spent is a bad idea, and having the icon there fulfills no practical purpose whatsoever.

If you don't want it to be our business, then just pay through the Paypal link at the bottom of the page. I really don't see the problem with being identified as a Charter Member. I like the warm fuzzy. But I don't think any less of people who are identified as Geocachers.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

Originally posted by exConn:

_If I discuss something with you in the forums, what is next to your name doesn't make me respond any differently._

I'm glad to hear you say that. However, I have read posts that have led me to believe that it's the heavy posters that are the most highly regarded, not necessarily the ones who post when they really have something to say. It's my fear the same will happen with the titles since we are not all on the same playing field now.

_Regardless of the icon, everyone here are fellow Geocachers ..._

I hope you're right! I hope it continues to be so. I don't like titles (it's a personal thing; if you do, I have no problem with that). Certainly time will tell, I hope my initial bad feelings about this will eventually go away. Right now I'm simply asking for a choice.

Cachemere, I know what you mean about "the heavy posters being the most highly regarded". I've noticed the same thing, and I've even seen some cachers who post everywhere and say almost nothing so as to have a high post count. (There are definately some heavy posters who say a lot with their posts most of the time, don't get me wrong.) I think your fears and complaints are valid ones and I think what you've said thus far has been well said. I'm sure there are others out there that share your opinion. I share it to some degree as well.

I have tried not to worry about what others think and that has helped me a lot. If people want to judge you because you don't have an icon next to your name, then they aren't worth your time anyway. If they want to think that your post isn't worth reading because you haven't posted 100 times or more, that's just plain stupid. I would hope that nobody would be that way. I know I won't be that way, but I can only speak for myself.

My hunch is that these bad feelings will indeed go away. I think that they are valid concerns that need to be addressed. I'm not sure that it will help though, for Jeremy to just put in and on/off switch for the icon. I think if that were the case, you would really get a sence of elitism about the people who didn't turn it off. Either they need to stay as is as part of the warm-fuzzy package, or they need to go all together.

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

If you don't want it to be our business, then just pay through the Paypal link at the bottom of the page.

rdw

If I chose to do that, then I remain as a humble "geocacher", written off by the Charter Members as a lamer or a tight-wad.

Don't tell me that being a Charter Member or not won't carry the stigma of being a "proper" geocacher or not, because it will. I've seen people's opinions on these forums written off because they only had a few posts to their name. Even worse I've seen vaild observations in logs being ridiculed because the cache finder only had a few finds and was obiously a "newbie".

If you check my Profile (OK be honest, you've done that already) you will see that in the UK, I'm up at the top of the list in "finds", but if you check back through the forums you will also see that I have come out strongly against showing how many finds a cacher has. That's another thing that is personal to me and no business of anyone else. How many finds/hides I have is not of any relevance to anyone else but me and how many finds/hides that other cachers have is of no interest to me either.

I want my opinions to be judged on merit, not on how many tupperware boxes I've found, or whether I've paid my dues or not.

Thanks for listening, I've said enough icon_razz.gif

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

If you don't want it to be our business, then just pay through the Paypal link at the bottom of the page.

rdw

If I chose to do that, then I remain as a humble "geocacher", written off by the Charter Members as a lamer or a tight-wad.

Don't tell me that being a Charter Member or not won't carry the stigma of being a "proper" geocacher or not, because it will. I've seen people's opinions on these forums written off because they only had a few posts to their name. Even worse I've seen vaild observations in logs being ridiculed because the cache finder only had a few finds and was obiously a "newbie".

If you check my Profile (OK be honest, you've done that already) you will see that in the UK, I'm up at the top of the list in "finds", but if you check back through the forums you will also see that I have come out strongly against showing how many finds a cacher has. That's another thing that is personal to me and no business of anyone else. How many finds/hides I have is not of any relevance to anyone else but me and how many finds/hides that other cachers have is of no interest to me either.

I want my opinions to be judged on merit, not on how many tupperware boxes I've found, or whether I've paid my dues or not.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

Alex, it's just not right to characterize a whole group of people that way.

Anybody who would "write you off" would do so regardless of icon because that would be the type of person that they are. If someone "writes you off" then that is someone not worth having a discussion with in the first place.

I think that most of the people here are genuine. Of course there will always be some people who "write you off", just as there would be in any significant group of people anywhere on the earth. I'd like to believe that there's only a small group of those type of people here.

quote:
Don't tell me that being a Charter Member or not won't carry the stigma of being a "proper" geocacher or not, because it will.

I strongly disagree with this. icon_frown.gif

quote:

Now that, I agree with... icon_wink.gif

-exConn

[This message was edited by exConn on March 07, 2002 at 03:37 AM.]

quote:

Alex, it's just not right to characterize a whole group of people that way.

Anybody who would "write you off" would do so regardless of icon because that would be the type of person that they are. If someone "writes you off" then that is someone not worth having a discussion with in the first place.

I think that most of the people here are genuine. Of course there will always be some people who "write you off", just as there would be in any significant group of people anywhere on the earth. I'd like to believe that there's only a small group of those type of people here.

quote:
Don't tell me that being a Charter Member or not won't carry the stigma of being a "proper" geocacher or not, because it will.

I strongly disagree with this. icon_frown.gif

quote:

Now that, I agree with... icon_wink.gif

-exConn

[This message was edited by exConn on March 07, 2002 at 03:37 AM.]

quote:

From a marketing viewpoint the icon is a good idea.

True, especially when there's no obvious mention of the subscriptions. My first indication of their existence was in seeing "Charter Member" next to some people's posts. It's free advertising.

I may be mistaken, but as far as I can tell, the "Charter Member" versus "Geocacher" tag, only appears in these very forums. I do not see it appearing anywhere in the actual cache logs.

Considering only a very small percentage of cacher's read these forums, who cares if it is there or not.

Now, If there was some indication next to the cachers name in the actual cache logs, then it may be much more of an issue to some people, myself included.

quote:
Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

I may be mistaken, but as far as I can tell, the "Charter Member" versus "Geocacher" tag, only appears in these very forums. I do not see it appearing anywhere in the actual cache logs.......

It shows up in the profile of individual cachers ... but again ... big deal.

348_1002.gif

Why, everyone knows that Charter member's speling is prefect, our children are perfect - hang on a sec - "Junior, You take that diaper off your head and put it back on your sister right this instant!" - Ok, where was I? Oh yeah, charter members never repeat themselves. Charter members would never overuse smiley icons. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif Charter members never repeat themselves. Actually, I think the only thing the charter member icon will represent will be years from now, some kid will see it by our name and say, "Look, Mommy! It's a charter member. They must be like really old!

Stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

Why, everyone knows that Charter member's speling is prefect, our children are perfect - hang on a sec - "Junior, You take that diaper off your head and put it back on your sister right this instant!" - Ok, where was I? Oh yeah, charter members never repeat themselves. Charter members would never overuse smiley icons. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif Charter members never repeat themselves. Actually, I think the only thing the charter member icon will represent will be years from now, some kid will see it by our name and say, "Look, Mommy! It's a charter member. They must be like really old!

Stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

It shows up in the profile of individual cachers ... but again ... big deal.

It's a big deal to me. If there comes a day when I have the OPTION to choose the Geocacher or Charter Member logo for my profile, I'll be one of the first to send in my money.

quote:
Originally posted by AquaDyne:

...It's free advertising.

And as "free advertising" it's only one of the reasons I personally object to it.

quote:

Alex.

Hey, I'm that tightwad! [P]I think those who have paid should be Nobles and those who don't Peasants. [P]Well ok just kidding. But really Alex, there is no such thing as privacy. I agree with you, and it would be nice to have an 'opt-out' on these 'added features' because I also agree with Macro about stats being unnecessary. But they are important to some people, and I don't see why they can't have their fun if that's what it takes to float their boats.

King Pellinore

quote:

Alex.

Hey, I'm that tightwad! [P]I think those who have paid should be Nobles and those who don't Peasants. [P]Well ok just kidding. But really Alex, there is no such thing as privacy. I agree with you, and it would be nice to have an 'opt-out' on these 'added features' because I also agree with Macro about stats being unnecessary. But they are important to some people, and I don't see why they can't have their fun if that's what it takes to float their boats.

King Pellinore

quote:
Originally posted by Jane8276:

What's to stop one from playing as one "name" and being a charter member under another. Sneaky perhaps but that means you have the best of both worlds. Only you need know you have become a charter member and you can continue using your usual name on the forum.

You mean like this???? icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jane8276:

What's to stop one from playing as one "name" and being a charter member under another. Sneaky perhaps but that means you have the best of both worlds. Only you need know you have become a charter member and you can continue using your usual name on the forum.

You mean like this???? icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by tslack2000:

I'm not sure that it will help though, for Jeremy to just put in and on/off switch for the icon. I think if that were the case, you would really get a sence of elitism about the people who didn't turn it off. Either they need to stay as is as part of the warm-fuzzy package, or they need to go all together.

I totally agree. I think do it or don't do it. If I don't want the logo to mean anything, I should give it no meaning. The logo doesn't say anything at all if we don't give it anything to say. The more emphasis we place on this the more meaning it will have. I say we make it a non-issue, because any additional meaning we give it will serve to divide the players in a way that nobody wants.

quote:
If I don't want the logo to mean anything, I should give it no meaning. The logo doesn't say anything at all if we don't give it anything to say. The more emphasis we place on this the more meaning it will have. I say we make it a non-issue, because any _additional_ meaning we give it will serve to divide the players in a way that nobody wants.

Exactly. Whether Jeremy decides to remove it or not we should make this a none issue. I am here because it's a hobby I love and (when I'm not caching) I can meet with great people every day that share the same interest. I have an image in my head of every regular forum user. That image is based on their posts. It's a reprasentation of their personality in my mind. It has nothing to do with what is listed under their username.

There are some really great people on this site. My opinion of them is not going to change just because a policy changed.

geosign.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish (in another thread) :

A poster made a good point, however, that I will add as part of the site. If you prefer not to have the title of Charter Member, you don't have to. You can be anonymous with other "Geocacher" titles. I'll see how soon I can implement this.

Sort of like "Anonymous donor." Some people would rather not be labeled. I, however, like my new label.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!

quote:

_A poster made a good point, however, that I will add as part of the site. If you prefer not to have the title of Charter Member, you don't have to. You can be anonymous with other "Geocacher" titles. I'll see how soon I can implement this.

Jeremy_

Well, looks like I got half of what I wanted. I'd rather get rid of the icon, but that isn't going to happen.

I'll happily front up the $30 now. Oh, shoot. There goes my anonyminity anyway icon_smile.gif

quote:

_A poster made a good point, however, that I will add as part of the site. If you prefer not to have the title of Charter Member, you don't have to. You can be anonymous with other "Geocacher" titles. I'll see how soon I can implement this.

Jeremy_

Well, looks like I got half of what I wanted. I'd rather get rid of the icon, but that isn't going to happen.

I'll happily front up the $30 now. Oh, shoot. There goes my anonyminity anyway icon_smile.gif

quote:

I'll be fixing the little icon if you don't want it too, but it will take an additional field in the db. That will take a while longer to do.

Jeremy

quote:

I'll be fixing the little icon if you don't want it too, but it will take an additional field in the db. That will take a while longer to do.

Jeremy