What kind of dog should I get?

Bilder

Go to some dog shows. Talk to the breedes/owners.

Everyone is different in their needs.

If possible, get a rescued dog.

We were considering a Wiermeraner ( those Jetta dogs ) until we spoke with a couple breeders - can't leave them home alone, they need to be in a kennel/crate.

I know several people with 'used' grayhounds, say they are wonderful as house pets.

We have a lab and a lab mix.

i've had collies (lassie) my entire life and have no plans of giving that up any time soon....great with children very smart and trainable good watch dog (not an attack dog though)loves family completely though would be wary of unknown males downsides though are bad hips in old age and that poofy fur gets dirty easily in the woods (think of the burrs you get in your shoelaces times a billion)

should definately pick female for gentler nature if thats an importance to you

My current dog is the best I've ever had. A fixed male Yellow Lab. Smart, mellow, super with the kids. Lays around all day always willing to hit the trail. Loves to ride in the back of the truck. When he thinks I'm leaving, he'll jump in ready to go. The only drwaback for me here in Southern California is he tends to be more of a cold weather dog, with a coat which is 2 layers deep & sheds.

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

I have a Siberian Husky. Since she's bred to pull sleds, she's quite strong, loves the trail and loves the outdoors. We keep her in the house, but she chooses to be outside as much as possible. She loves the cold, LOVES the snow.

She's a 'den' dog, and acts like a guardian den mother, she checks on everyone in the house regulary when she comes in, alot like counting noses, which is not a bad thing, if we had kids, she'd keep tabs on their whereabouts. She tends to lay in positions that she can watch everyone, like at the entry way of a room, so she has full view.

On the down side, she eats like a horse, drinks like a buffalo, and is quite moody. When she doesn't want to do something, I can assure you, she isn't doing it...unless you pick all 75 pounds of her up and risk a little bite. Some people complain about their fur, we just shave her when it gets hot, she loves it.

My cousin used to have one as well, his loved the ocean, and he even took her surfing. My husky hates the water, I guess that is hit or miss.

...oh, and I doubt your wife will find an ugly husky.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

New Dog Breeds

Collie + Lhasa Apso = Collapso, a dog that folds up for easy transport

Spitz + Chow Chow = Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up a lot

Pointer + Setter = Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet.

Great Pryenees + Dachshund = Pyradachs, a puzzling breed.

Pekingese + Lhasa Apso = Peekasso, a Cubist dog.

Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel = Irish Springer, a dog that smells fresh and clean - a manly scent too!

Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever = Lab Coat Retriever, the E.R. mascot

Newfoundland + Basset Hound = Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisors.

Terrier + Bulldog = Terribull, a dog that does awful things.

Bloodhound + Labrador = blabador, a dog that barks incessantly.

Malamute + Pointer = Moot Point, owned by ... oh well, it doesn't matter anyway...

Collie = Malamute = Commute, a dog that travels to work.

Deerhound + Terrier = derriere, a dog that's true to the end.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

What breed of dog is best to change a light bulb?

Afghan: Light bulb? What light bulb?

Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're worrying about a burned out light bulb?

Border Collie: Just one. And I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

Daschund: I can't reach the stupid lamp!

Toy Poodle: I'll just blow in the border collie's ear and he'll do it.

Rotweiller: Make me!

Shi-tzu: Pul-leeze, dahling, I have servants for that kind of thing.

Lab: Oh, me, me!!!! Pleeeeeasze let me change the light bulb. Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Can I?

Malamute: Let the Border Collie do it. You can feed me while he's busy.

Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

Doberman Pinscher: While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.

Mastiff: Mastiffs are NOT afraid of the dark.

Beagle : Light bulb? Light bulb? That thing I ate was a light bulb?

English Bulldog: Light bulb?!? I ate the light bulb, and the lamp, and the coffee table it sat on, and the carpet under the coffee table and...

Cat: You need light to see?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Etrex Pirate:

I had a Cocker - Lab mix that was very great with kids and other dogs.

Today I adopted a Lab - Shepard mix from the local pound. I bring him home Tuesday. A dog that can join me on the cache hunt.

http://tophersworld.com/images/mypuppy.jpg

I'm the good kind of pirate... if there is such a thing

Kudos to you for going to the pound for him. He looks like he wants to be anywhere but there, and your home will be most welcome!

Good show -- give us some new pics when you get him settled in!

Joel (joefrog)

The dog becomes part of the family, so do not buy one just to go geocaching or to take outdoors. It must be suited to your family situation. And you must be willing to adapt to your dog as much as he adapts to your home. Whichever breed you decide on DO NOT take your kids when you first go looking. They will in all likelihood fall in love with the first one they see whether suitable or not. Then you have a problem when you tell them no. Take your kids only after you have narrowed your choice down to a few dogs and you can accept any of them.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

Three years ago picked up an Australian Shepherd. I got a female so my bushes wouldn't die. She does tend to herd my young children, but as a single mom, I find this helpful when getting my kids to bed; I just jump up from my chair at 8pm and the dog does the rest. The kids scream with laughter but run to bed! This is the sweetest dog I've ever known. Generally, the females of this breed get to around 45 lbs, but mine is over 70. This makes her safe when hiking off-leash in the Arizona mountains - the coyotes won't have her as a snack, like they would some of the smaller, pfoo-pfoo dogs. She is friendly to hikers, horses, and other dogs, and has developed hiking-etiquette. A great geo-cache dog! Anyway, my two-cents says you should consider the Aussie!

I have a rough Collie (Katie the Collie) and while she is a great dog, brushing her and removing the burr's etc... after a day of geocaching is a reall pain in the something.

And while Katie's true calling is herding sheep, marking her territorry her second most favourite thing to do, maybe her third most favourite thing, eating is second.

Ciao

RooBoy

I have a Lab/Shepherd mix.

It's a neutered male, very gentle with kids, not territorial, not very protective, gets along well with other dogs. Loves kids, cats, and making friends with other dogs, and virtually anyone that will pet him or throw a ball.

I often walk in areas where there are only a few mountain bikers, equestrians, and walkers & joggers. Technically dogs are probably supposed to be on a leash, but everyone lets their dogs run free, except for those who have dogs that are not entirely sociable or that might get lost.

My dog being friendly, non-protective, and non-territorial means that he can be off-leash w/o worries.

He's smart enough to always find his way back to the car, or to find us on trail. He has run over 100 Hash Runs with me, and usually gets to the finish ahead of me (the other hashers know him, and sometimes even rely on him to find the correct trail). When he gets to the finish he just lies down and waits for me to get there (sometimes other hashers give him water).

Anyway, he has been a fantastic dog. Easy to train, and (mostly) obedient. He loves to walk and/or run with us, and enjoys geocaching. He hasn't actually found a cache yet, but if he does, we will reinforce that behavior with praise!

Anyway, I would recommend a dog that is a Lab mix. German Shepherd and Black lab has worked out great for us.

He's a handsome one too...

146103_800.jpg

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

I have a gordon setter. I am amazed at how tolerant she is with the kids. She will accept anything that they do and if it gets too rough she will just leave. She is very chewy, but I hope she will out grow this when she gets older. My dogs have all been crate trained. They look on this as their "cave." In fact, my dog is in hers right now.

"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me."

With out a doubt...Yellow Lab. Awesome with kids, very protective, loyal, decent nose and a great hunting dog! Very smart, easy to train and likes water too... I could tell you some cool stories about my lab, but I won't bore you unless you ask. Let's just say that they have an uncanny knack of knowing who is a threat and who is a friend! GREAT DOG!! Btw, I bought him at the local pound for $5. Best investment I ever made! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Spzzmoose on October 24, 2003 at 09:06 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

The dog becomes part of the family, so do not buy one just to go geocaching or to take outdoors. It must be suited to your family situation. And you must be willing to adapt to your dog as much as he adapts to your home. Whichever breed you decide on DO NOT take your kids when you first go looking. They will in all likelihood fall in love with the first one they see whether suitable or not. Then you have a problem when you tell them no. Take your kids only after you have narrowed your choice down to a few dogs and you can accept any of them.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

Very good advice, Dave.

A little more info.

Pound Puppies (and older dogs) do seem to make the best pets. I have had a few other dogs before when I lived with my parents and would have had one sooner but I lived in condos and apartments and I like larger breed dogs. I don’t think that works well unless someone is home most of the time (24/7) and can get them outside frequently. I now have a house with a yard and more time to spend with him.

I have been looking for about six months and only started GEO Caching for about 1 ½. I didn’t mean to imply that I got him for caching but when he gets a little older he should be able to keep up with me and enjoy it without tiring out and having to be carried out like some smaller breeds.

He was abandoned along with 3 other pups and the mother. He is 3 months old and when I spent about 40 minutes in a pen with him he did very well. He will be altered and microchipped before I can bring him home which is a good thing. I spent the afternoon puppy proofing the yard and house. I am looking forward to bringing him home.

Next step training him not to eat my Cockatiel.

I'm the good kind of pirate... if there is such a thing

We got our Lab mix at a shelter, you do need to make sure it is the right kind of dog for your family. And also, be sure you give a dog enough time to adjust. Our dog was 7 years old when we got him and had only been neutered about 6 monthes. So, he still had a few behaviors from his bachelor days I guess, but we love him like crazy, and wouldn't be without him. He just knows when you need love or comfort! I think that is the coolest thing.

I love beagles (we have 5 of 'em, all rescued!)and are active in the local beagle rescue group. Beagles are great, BUT very food-oriented and are scent hounds who may follow a scent and not you when you are out geocaching. They'd have to be on leash, I'd think. And many are very independent-minded (stubborn)

I don't know how Jeremy caches with two beags!! maybe if you carry a pork chop or something, it would work. icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta cast my vote for any of the retrievers. I'm definitely partial to Goldens, but I think that the black or yellow labs are also very good dogs (never cared much for chocolate labs, they seem to have a different personality). They are bred for being out in the woods and hunting, and you would be hard pressed to find a better family dog. Our golden retriever, as well as our black lab mix, are as much a part of our family as I am. Another opinion: I will never again own a male dog. My experience has been that females make much better pets and are generally easier to train (they seem to have a better "attention span").

One final note - Every minute you spend with a dog when it is a pup will pay off 10 fold when that dog is grown. I wouldn't say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but it is a lot easier to teach new tricks to a new dog. Good luck with your new puppy.

I would suggest finding a breed that likes to exercise as much or as little as you do. One thing that I have noticed is that people get frustrated when their dog is hyper. Normally if you exercise a dog well, they won't be jumping off the walls driving you crazy! Of course, puppies will always have a lot of energy.

I would also suggest training your puppy. One of my greatest pleasures is to go to a cache, dog park, or large social event and know my dog is going to be well behaved. I also like to show off a little icon_smile.gif The other day I was at Petsmart and forgot something. I put Sage in a “Stay” at the register and walked all the way across the store. When I came back she was right where I left her. The cashier was impressed because many dogs had come by in my absence and did the sniff test icon_smile.gif

Finally, I chose an American Bulldog. Sage has a great temperament and loves the entire family dearly. She even loves the three cats… I might add, they don’t return the love. Although the AKC still doesn’t recognize the American Bulldog they are recognized by the NKC. There is an interesting history behind this.

BTW: Sage loves playgrounds, particularly slides... go figure

ColtinandSage.jpg

Mutts are the best. My dog is a beagle/lab/chihuahua/dachshund mix, female, and she is both amazing with kids and can handle a day of caching. The only time it was ever an issue was when it was REALLY cold and rainy... she was fine while caching but a little unhappy when we were just driving.

Going to your local humane shelter is the best idea, there are many puppies without homes and you can go look and play with them to see which fits you.

Mine is not from the humane shelter -- my friends' dog got out of their house and got pregnant and I picked one of the pups. I don't see the point in buying a dog unless you need a specific type for breeding, showing or work.

Part hound is helpful. And I wouldn't go with a bichon or any of those little lap dogs. Mugsy is on the small size, but she LOVES the woods and knows to stay nearby. She used to stay right under my feet, but now she stays close enough so that she can hear me and usually see me. She runs ahead on the trail but looks back to make sure it's okay. I think alot of that is the beagle.

Good luck.

Me and you and a dog named Boo...