What kind of dog should I get?

Bilder

Well next spring we will get a dog.

I am looking for a breed that is good with kids, yet can stand up to a day out geocaching.

I want a Pug, but the wife thinks they are ugly and I doubt they are good hiking buddies.

Lets hear your favorite breeds and why.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Tor is a papillion. Extreemly good with people of all sizes. 2.5 years old. Weighs six lbs. And has accompanied me on every long geocaching hike I've done, including Shafer Meadows (2 days, 29 miles total) and Thunderbolt (1 day, 20+ miles), and always acts as if he was just getting warmed up when we finish and I'm about to pass out dead.

I highly recommended papillions as geocaching partners.

See a couple pics here.

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves --

what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

[This message was edited by skydiver on October 22, 2003 at 07:30 PM.]

I have a beagle and a hound/lab cross that looks like a big beagle. Both are very loving and affectionate -- great with kids and people. They have only been on two caches with me because they are older (13 and 11) and one suffers from arthritis. However, they both love the woods and when the beagle was younger he could walk for miles with no problem. I suspect the larger dog could too as he can go for quite a while, but I've only had him a few years.

However, as hounds, they follow their noses, so I have to keep them on lead, which is a pain on some caches, especially if bushwhacking is involved. Not to mention that they think when I'm opening the cache, it's to get them a treat!

Since one of my dogs is a rescue, I have learned quite a bit about dogs and their behaviours. Most dogs will reflect in some way the behaviour of their owners, so normally gentle dogs can be aggressive, and not all aggressive breeds are non-gentle.

My recommendation would be to really research the breed. You may find a dog that is good with kids or enjoys lots of exercise, but has tendencies in other directions (may be territorial, or anxious, or something as simple as sheds a great deal or requires lots of grooming; some also have tendencies to certain health problems).

Second, really research your breeder. You should see the kennels they run, get references (local vets, other customers), and get a sense of how they feel for the dogs. For instance, a reputable breeder will help place one of his/her dogs if there is a problem -- I'm not saying they will refund money, but they may help find another home for the dog if it isn't working out. A reputable breeder will care about the dogs.

If you've selected a breed, you might see if there is a respective rescue group. These groups help find homes for dogs that may not be acceptable to the Humane Society, not necessarily because they have behavioural problems, but because they are older than is popular or bigger than is popular. I got my hound/lab when he was 7 because they considered him too old to adopt out. Again, research is the key, and a rescue group will be concerned that the match works well both ways, so they won't be inclined to present you with an animal that has behavioural or health problems if you aren't prepared to accept it.

In general, I think working/sporting dogs would be better suited to caching -- labs, retrievers, spaniels, but like I said, that is a generality! My other generality is that people who enjoy the outdoors, tend to go toward breeds that do the same. I'm not sure how many pekinese dogs cache, but hey, I'm sure there are some!

Good luck!

My goal is to become as wonderful as my dogs think I am!

I'd highly recommend doing some research on the AKC website, paying more attention to each breed's personality rather than focusing on looks (asking advise here is a good step as well). Having a dog whose temprament fits your lifestyle is is the best way to insure you'll be happy with your choice.

I would also highly recommend crating any puppy until they are 1 to 1.5 years old at a minimum. Read about this on dog training websites for the best approach, but this will minimize the chances for bad incidents during the chewing stage that could adversely influence your relationship with your dog.

I've had a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie), a Border Collie, and an Australian Shepherd (Aussie). The Aussie is male, the other two were females. I'm sure it's partly the breed, but we have to constantly be aware of his dominant behavior and work to correct it, and we've never had these issues with the females. Considering that the sex is also a factor with this, I'd recommend a female around kids. It's just easier.

All three were/have been great dogs. The Sheltie had a lot of nervous energy. Her "chase/herd" instinct was very strong, and if she got extremely excited, she would bark and nip at our heels. While she had a great deal of energy, she didn't have the all-day endurance the two other dogs have.

The Aussie is very smart and an extremely fast learner. His need to please the "alpha" even supercedes his desire to be the alpha. His hearding instinct is also barely submerged, and we have to make sure the kids never play chasing games with him. The breed herds by chasing and "gripping" (biting), and you'll probably never remove this instinct. We've worked long and hard with him, but when he's very excited and thinks he's herding them, he will sometimes "mouth" my wife's or my sons' hands without biting. He loves being with me, and would ride everywhere with me. If it weren't for the dominance thing, he'd be a great companion. As it is, we have to constantly stay on top of it. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't think it's that important, and my kids try some of the time, but not all the time. Therefore, he thinks he is the #2 dog.

Our Border Collie is the best dog we've ever had. We had some moments during her chewing stage (see above). Fortunately, I took her to obedience training when she reached 12 months, and we really bonded. She's extremely smart, but was slightly harder to train than the Aussie due to a slight tendancy to get distracted - there are times when I'm not as important to her as a squirrel, for example. Border Collies herd more from the front/sides than from the rear or by employing the "stare of death." Because of this, we haven't had any problem with biting/nipping from her. She will, however, stare at a cat for hours if necessary to try to get it to move. I've never seen her run out of energy. Both she and the Aussie can go all day.

Any of the herding breeds have the potential of being great family members. However, you have to keep in mind their needs and instincts. They have been bred to herd from sunrise to sunset. They have to have an outlet for their nearly endless energy and their owners have to understand that they should not entertain the dog's desire to play chasing games.

I probably wouldn't get another Sheltie (sentimental reasons), but wouldn't hesitate to get another female Border Collie or Aussie.

there is a topic about geocaching dogs...check it out...

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=94060967

I have a chick magnet. She is a teddy bear and super sweet.

You can see more at my home page.

136189_300.jpg

:smile:

[This message was edited by SuperAlpha on October 22, 2003 at 07:53 PM.]

[This message was edited by SuperAlpha on October 22, 2003 at 07:54 PM.]

I used to housesit for people who lived part-time in Florida. I'd watch their Golden Retrievers for a month or two each winter.

Lemme just say that Golden Retrievers are *DUMB AS A BRICK* (though trainable) but they will love you with their last breath. Which typically will be in your face while you are trying to sleep... They love attention, and should be in homes where they can get lots of it.

I'd like to reiterate what a poster above said about border collies as well - they NEED to be able to run. They are not a Chihuahua - they need to be outdoors at least part of the time blowing off steam.

Most of all - I love mutts. The Humane Society can help you out there.

Good luck, and post a pic of your new Squirrel Demotivating System when you get it!

---------------------

It wasn't me.

quote:
Our Border Collie is the best dog we've ever had. She's extremely smart, but was slightly harder to train than the Aussie due to a slight tendancy to get distracted

There was some research done a few years back that ranked Border collies and poodles as the smartest breeds, based on 5 different factors. I was insulted that my loveable beagle was 76th out of 79, with the bassett hound in last or near last place -- so just because he chooses to sit there for five minutes with a towel over his head before he does anything to remove it, loses him marks? Maybe he's on to something! There are many days I feel like that!

All to say, yes training is important -- as much for the owner as the dog! Smarter breeds likely train better or are more responsive. My beagle barely passed. He still can't heel. In the class where they taught us, they did a session where they put piece of meat on the floor...ha, no way on earth was my boy going to walk pretty right by that! Nearly ripped my arm out to get it and took off to keep it!

I have been looking at breeds and mutt characterisitcs for awhile, but I like to hear some real world reviews on certain dogs.

Thanks for the input, keep em coming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Add-on: MY favorite dog was a family pet. We found her and her siblings strewn throughout a bush on the side of hill, most of them were still in the trash bag that got thrown from the car as it sped by.

The one dog that survived the longest was ours. She was part collie part 'something' else. Wonderful, fun-loving dog. We had to put her down a few years back, but of all the dogs we have had, she was the greatest. *sniffle*

(so I'm endorsing a Collie type dog)

---------------------

It wasn't me.

I'd go with a Golden. they are great with kids and have all the energy in the world!!! oh and Cruzin! greman shepards are not good with kids inless you get them treaned and that costs a lot of money or you can buy/adopt them already treaned but that will cost a lot to and you would miss out on there puppy years don't think I am telling you what to get but to be on the safe side I would go with one of the following: golden, lab, beagle, there are more but I can't think of them right now I always thought that a goldenlab mix would be a great dog good luck with your doggy hunt here is a picture of my golden named Honey (the picture is poor colity)

d0491dcb-9995-4c42-a2f0-9022bd4450e2.jpg

God makes geocaching possible!!!

I got a Black Lab Retriever and I can definitely tell you that she is the best with kids and of course adults. Don't know about border collies though. My dog and I have never met any unfriendly lab or golden retrievers on the trail, but I have for sure encountered border collies that should be kept in their homes and away from other dogs and people. From what I have read before, border collies would have a tendency to herd kids like sheeps.

Whatever breed you end up, make sure you go to at least one obedience class. I took my dog to 2 classes. The second one was an advanced class. Well worth the money at the end.

I'll third the behavior on Border Collies. Very smart dog. They will work hard to please you. Do not get the dog though if you are not going to work them or keep up with them by playing. They are smart enough to entertain themselves by using their heads to cause 'trouble' if you leave them to their own devices.

They do have a semi tough early stage but you can work though it to a good end result. Our dogs difficult stage was far better than a sheppard we had.

A border collies is not a dog that will laze at your feet (unless exausted) but you could train them pretty easily to chase all the cats out of your yard (they are clueless when a cat actually stands its ground).

If I was going to do it again I'd probably go for a Border Collie mutt. Maybe a Sheppard Mix.

A Golden Retriever Chow mix got ours while she was in heat by breaking down our fence. The puppies were dang fine mutts.

My mom put her sheppard down when she started showing bad behavior towards my kids.

I call J.C. the puppymonster for a reason. J.C. is a border collie and a sheltie mix. He is extremely active and loves to play and to hike. We play with a frisbee literally everyday. He has done well in light snow and actually enjoyed playing in it. He likes the cooler weather and stays out for more frisbee play when it is cool. He is indeed smart and obeys voice commands and hand signals. I would think our next dog would be a border collie or a mix once again. He has been the best dog that I have had.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

I'm currently without a dog mainly because my wife and I both still work and a pet dog would have to be home alone all day. I have had good luck however in the past with the Heinz 57 variety, as well as a Black Lab and a Golden Retriever. My next "trail dog" however is going to be an English Springer Spaniel. I ran across a young one recently while out caching and it was love at first site.

Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

One thing I did notice while caching with my two hounds, was that they have a great sense of finding the trail back out. Last weekend we were in a spot where many trails intersected, my hound/lab cross was at the head of the pack and made all the turns to get us back to the car. Of course, I reflected later that between the two dogs, they'd probably peed on every third plant, so they followed their own scent...but nonetheless it was comforting, and while he's only 65lbs, he's big enough to make me feel safe.

Lots of good replies here. Definitely a female or a fixed male for a family dog. I also agree with the idea of crating a dog for training... I don't know how I ever did without one once we tried it. Obedience class is also a must in my book for a new pup. Not only does it teach them and you some basics getting you off on the right foot it helps to create a bond with your dog that I've found irreplaceable.

If I lived in your neck of the woods I'd get the dog I've been wanting for years which is a Bernese Mtn Dog. They'd acclimate well to your climate, are very smart and are good family dogs. The breed comes from switzerland and was used to haul milk carts up and down the mtns.. you could also hang a keg of whiskey off on his neck and have your own personal geocaching rescue dog icon_smile.gif

I've had mostly mixed breeds all my life and they make great pets. Breed characteristics do hold true even in mixed breeds so it's a good idea to do your homework first to get an idea of what to expect. Good luck.. with your decision and keep us posted.

I have volenteered at a shelter and rescued both of my dogs. A rescued dog seems to know what it's fate would have been without your intervention. They tend to be very loyal and loving. I strongly urge you to visit a shelter and adopt. DO NOT buy from a pet store. If you decide on a breed and will not/can not adopt from a shelter, use a respected breeder.

HERE is a link that will help you find a breed that matches your lifestyle. As earlier posters have said, some breeds need lots of room to run and should have a fenced in yard, others are more relaxed and can be kept in an apartment. Some are good around children, others are not. It may help you avoid getting a pet that is not compatible with you and your family.

THIS is a nice site that has listings for dogs/cats at shelters all over the US. Put in your ZIP code and some breed/age/gender info and it will give you a listing of shelters in your area with animals that might be a match for you. Be carefull, though. If you look at the pictures you might want all of them!

Good luck with your search!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. - Homer Simpson

ChiTown Cachers * Keenpeople.com Stats

A friend gave me a dachshund puppy almost three years ago. I was supposed to "just keep it for the weekend". Impossible. The instant the trembling little thing went to sleep in my lap, I was hooked. He's grown up to be a playful, intelligent, fur-covered friend. It wouldn't have been my first choice of breeds, but now that I have lived with him these many months, I can't imagine ever getting another dog that wasn't a dachshund.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

Hi, first of all congratulations on THINKING about getting a dog before just running out and getting one. Remember they are a commitment and will rely on you for all of their needs and care. Owning a dog can be extremely rewarding if you are willing to put in the time it takes to develop a good relationship.

A website that I found helpful for many prospective dog owners are the AKC website, also this one : www.dogbreedinfo.com

It raises good questions that should help guide you to your decision.

Different breeds do have different tendencies based on body structure and other things. Choosing a breed that fits your lifestyle is a very good place to begin, but you can not base your decision solely on bred choice since all dogs (like people) have their own personalities. Sunsister and Stunod made very good points. Being a Vet Tech I have a ton of insight and info I can share and would be more than happy to. If you'd like I can mail to you some awesome info all about breed choice, training and things to know before and after getting a dog. Just let me know. : )

We currently have a Golden Retriever mix (a shelter rescue) who has been FANTASTIC. Smart, loving, loyal and very willing to please.

Grew up with a German Shepherd. We had him since I was 18 months old until I was 14. He was loyal, protective, great with the whole family. Two of my favorites. I personally love mixed breeds the best. You tend to get less medical issues that are indicative to particular breeds and can be adorable as well. Hope that helps!

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

If you or your wife are allergic to dander, go with "hair" dogs rather than fur. Hair don't shed, they just keep growing their hair like humans. Poodles,bishons,terriers, fit that category; check google for a full list.

Our poodle is the sweetest with everyone but poops out on the trail! Might be because he likes to eat! He's also a small poodle. The standard breed probably would be better for caching yet they have the same great personality and don't shed.

Alan icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

Personally, I think a healthy mutt from the human society isn't a bad bet. If it socializes well with your kids, and the kids like it, you've got a strong bond, regardless of its heritage.

george

Yup.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by spunsister:

There was some research done a few years back that ranked Border collies and poodles as the smartest breeds, based on 5 different factors. I was insulted that my loveable beagle was 76th out of 79, with the bassett hound in last or near last place

I wonder what they based 'smartest' on. Beagles are stubborn, but smart. We have a beagle/cocker mix... when Sparkie was only a few months old, and with us for about 2 months, she had learned that when she went to the door that we would take her out to do her job. One day when we were eating dinner she went to the door, Beersnob got up to take her out, but couldn't find her.... she had snuck around the furniture, and was happily eating off of Beersnob's plate! Don't tell me beagles are dumb! icon_wink.gif

She's sweet, loveable, stubborn, barks at ANYTHING outside the front window regardless if it's friend or foe, eats anything and will beg with super-sorrowful eyes, is a bed hog, loves hiking with us (we usually don't take her caching, because the leash gets tangled in brush). She's good with kids (if they don't throw stuff at her), we have a 5 year old niece that she slept with (and loves to be around) when we left her at 'grandmas' while we were off on vacation.

I'd like to second (or is it 3rd or 4th by now?) crate training. We hadn't tried it until she was 2, but it made a great difference... before we would have to distract her with dog treats, then quick-lock her in the bedroom when we left for work. Now, she'll go and wait inside her crate when we get her dogfood ready in the morning before we leave. I think dogs need their own 'personal' space.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Oh-

and if you get baby gates to keep them out of specific areas DO NOT get the lattice-type ones.

When we 1st got Sparkie, we baby-gated her in the kitchen, then left for a half hour to acclimate her to being without us. When we returned, she had CLIMBED the gate, and was hanging on at the top for dear life.

Check out this site for more beagle pup antics:

http://www.brewbeagles.org/camp.php

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Be very careful with the dog rescue route. We tried to adopt two dogs from a rescue and had problems. Our first was a female English Bulldog - she loved all of us except for our 7 year old daughter. The dog was viscious when it came to her and we sent her back packing (of course, after we got all her shots). Then we got a male English Bulldog, but only kept him one day. Our other daughter was crawling and starting to walk at the time. The dog had rump roast leakage. He just couldn't hold it in. So, he is no longer with us either.

But, now we have a MinPin named Mollie Mae. She is a great dog. We got her as a pup - which I highly recommend if you have small children. That way they are able to get used to each other. MinPin's become very possessive of their family. They think they are bigger than everything and will try to get rid of intruders. We haven't tried her on the geocaching trail yet because she is only 8 months old and is in heat (getting fixed on the 10th of Nov). After that, we are going to start getting her out there.

Oh, the picture on our avatar is Mollie Mae. It just so happened that I was able to snap the picture of her while she looked viscious, but she is nothing like that. We just thought it was a funny picture.

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

I've always been partial to Brittanies. They are a good size (not too big or small), playful, smart and don't bark a real lot.

When we were considering getting a dog a few years ago, we found a website where you answered a dozen or so questions about dog size, coat, child tolerance, home size, amount of exercise it would get and similar stuff. The answer the website gave us was a King Charles Spaniel. Never heard of the thing, but upon investigation, they look like pretty cool dogs.

And they're not like labs and Jack Russells, where everybody and their mother owns one.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by fly_tier:

greman shepards are not good with kids inless you get them treaned

I disagree. Males can be (not always or even often) territorial and a potential risk to children, but females are very protective of their "litter". I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a case where a female german shepard intentionally harmed a family member that wasn't threatening it in some way.

I also suggest a mutt, as others have. Some of the best dogs I've had were mutts.

--

perl -MMIME::Base64 -e "print decode_base64('SU1BR0VTIFJFTU9WRUQgQlkgT1ZFUkJFQVJJTkcgQURNSU5T')"

My mutt lab mix has been great. I don't have kids but do have cats. The shelter let me test the dog out with a cat before I adopted. As a bonus, I found out when I got home that the dog was already housebroken! That was a pleasent surprise.

Regardless, as long as you carefully think through your decision and don't just get the first cute puppy or dog you see, you will do fine!

pika waving

Get a Labrador, the world's best dog. Daisy has done nearly all my 190 caches with me and I wouldn't be without her.

If your terrain is anything like the UK you may have to lift your dog over stiles, walls etc.. At about 65 pounds Daisy is close to my limit.

----------------

Dog be with you.

Good with kids? Hearty enough to take a day of geocaching? Able to take cold weather as if it's no big deal?

My friend, you NEED a Labrador Retriever. No doubt about it! icon_biggrin.gif

I have a 4-year-old black Lab and she's the sweetest dog I've ever met. Great with kids, obedient as the day is long and has been to many a geocache in the last year. Labs are troopers! I'm sure other breeds are great too, but when it comes to the "perfect" breed of dog for companionship, loyalty, love and stoutness, God made Labs for just that.

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Well next spring we will get a dog.

I am looking for a breed that is good with kids, yet can stand up to a day out geocaching.

I want a Pug, but the wife thinks they are ugly and I doubt they are good hiking buddies.

Lets hear your favorite breeds and why.

My favorite breed without a doubt are the ones found at the local Humane Societies.

Seriously... mutts are the best. Usually no congenital problems from close breeding, and are very, VERY glad to have a home & the love that goes with it. Our dog Ellie was a pound puppy.

elliepeek.jpg

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

To me it is obvious... I have an Alaskan Malamute named Chief. He is the smartest dog I have ever known, other than the fact he thinks he is human and doesn't know he could jump the fence, thinks he has to go through the gate like everyone else and knows how to open it.

Malamutes are the smartest, family oriented dogs I have owned,they are protective, communicate well, playful... I think if I trained him he would find all the caches before me, that is why I don't take him along... well that, and the fact that he is stronger than I am, and if he wanted to take off with me, with a bum leg, he would be dragging me in two seconds flat...

(he only weighs 125, and yes he is larger than your normal mal, his daddy was a Giant Mal)

Not all who wander are lost

Well, I can shed some ligt on this. I DO have a pug. I was lucky enough to get her at the pound, and yes she is a purebread. Her previous owners were really ritzie and didn't mind throwing 600.00 away. I gladly payed the 85.00 for her. I love her to death, but with the little legs and the HUGE bulging eyes, I would never take her caching. It is took risky for her catching a stick or something in the eye going through the weeds. I usually take my other dog along. He is part Austrailian Shepard part Border collie. If you want a pug, they make great inside city house dogs.

quote:
I wonder what they based 'smartest' on. Beagles are stubborn, but smart. We have a beagle/cocker mix... when Sparkie was only a few months old, and with us for about 2 months, she had learned that when she went to the door that we would take her out to do her job. One day when we were eating dinner she went to the door, Beersnob got up to take her out, but couldn't find her.... she had snuck around the furniture, and was happily eating off of Beersnob's plate! Don't tell me beagles are dumb!

HA! I have many, many stories like this, and this is exactly what my dog Bean tried. We had to put child-proof locks on all the cupboards as well. These beagle-antics are why I was "offended" (in a fun way) that they aren't considered smart. When it comes to getting food, they are brilliant!

The research used a few different tests -- long term memory, responsiveness. I've always thought the research seemed to equate trainability with intelligence -- so I'm not sure I wouldn't be at the bottom of the list either!!

Beagles are great on the trail, but get so absorbed in smells they may not hear you call them (ok, maybe they ignore you!). I've also noticed that if the forest is very dense it's hard for them to get through it, and even more difficult with the leash on. This may be true of many smaller breeds. I've had more than one "are you crazy?" looks from mine. However, my hound/lab cross has the best traits of both!

Doesn't Jeremy have beagles?

quote:
Originally posted by The Weasel:

He is part Austrailian Shepard part Border collie. If you want a pug, they make great inside city house dogs.

Mine is half Border Collie as well -- some sort of terrier other half. See above pic!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Chloe is a mostly lab mix we got from the SPCA. She is the BEST DOG IN THE WORLD! She is great with kids and adults love her too. She loves to get out and hike but is good around the house also, as long as you don't give her a ball. She will then proceed to drive you nuts to get you to throw it.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

I have two beagles. They're great, I love them, but they are more than a handful while geocaching. Usually one of us has to be a handler and watch them while we hunt. Or, we wrap the leashes around a tree and spend 5-10 minutes untangling them after we're done signing the logbook and putting the cache back.

We go to Marymoor Dog Park in Redmond, WA several times a week. If I were to do it again, I would have gone to a dog park several times on a weekend and checked out all the different breeds before deciding on one. That way you can ask the owners what they think about their particular breeds. Books don't hack it sometimes.

My wife wanted a small dog and I wanted a big one, so we settled on a small dog with a big attitude (Beagle). Doing it over I probably would have picked a French Bulldog instead, though the beagles with their soulful eyes will capture your heart easily.

I've had two schnauzers, a west highland terrier, an irish setter, and a lab while growing up. I would deter anyone from getting a terrier, and be prepared for a lot of training if you get a lab or irish setter. Also I agree that mutts don't have all the baggage of inbreeding, and they can be great choices. Beagle-basset mixes are especially cool.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Hmm..

I think we can boil the thread down to 'working/hunting' based breeds/mixes, -those who physically can be on the trail for the periods of time you are, and are most likely medium-to-large breeds. Preferably adopted from a humane society as a younger dog, or at the very least from a reputable breeder.

Other than that, if you choose wisely based on personality of the dog itself and can arrange a foster-to-adopt situation, I don't think you can go wrong with any dog, really. Every human with a dog companion that truly cares about dogs will claim their's is the best icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

I have two beagles. They're great,

Why settle for a beagle or a pug? Ever seen a PUGGLE? LOL.. I'm not kidding... they show both traits of beagles & pugs... here's what a quick google search turned up:

buzz1.jpg

bailey1.jpg

Gotta admit, those are strangely cute!

Joel (joefrog)