Traveling with a GPS ?

oldfred

I only travel once a year so I haven't had any experience since 9-11.

I have a Convention in Las Vegas in May and I would like to try some caching there.(Surely someone has cached a bunch of chips for us visitors !)

any VEGAS cachers can pass along any tips.

I guess trying to carry my StreetPilot in carry on luggage would not be advisable. But would It be O.K. in checked luggage since they now scan everything for bombs ?

Hmmmm..Perhaps I will send it to myself via U.P.S., Hell, they would probably lose it.

Perhaps some of you have some experience you can pass along.

This may have been addressed in previous posts but I have not found any.

Note to the forum police : this is my first topic so if I diddn't do it right.......be kind. icon_wink.gif

OLDFRED

copchase.gif

Oldfred,

I have traveled to Seattle, Chicago, and Europe with my gpsr in my carry-on with no problem. I even whipped it out and turned it on flying from Chicago to Atlanta. The flight attendant questioned me about it, but the pilot sitting behind me told her it was ok because it was no different than the system the airplane was using. However, she came back about 40 mins. later with an official memo her airline had circulated saying that gpsrs could not be on during the flight. But I had already turned it off by that time. I think I was flying Delta.

quote:
Originally posted by mrplug:

Oldfred,

I have traveled to Seattle, Chicago, and Europe with my gpsr in my carry-on with no problem. I even whipped it out and turned it on flying from Chicago to Atlanta. The flight attendant questioned me about it, but the pilot sitting behind me told her it was ok because it was no different than the system the airplane was using. However, she came back about 40 mins. later with an official memo her airline had circulated saying that gpsrs could not be on during the flight. But I had already turned it off by that time. I think I was flying Delta.

I don't think it would have been Delta. Delta lists GPSrs as an approved electronic item to use when in flight.

Byron

I always take my Legend on trips, paticularly any place in Europe. The Metroguide Europe is not the best but it definitely beats the maps that the rent car agencies hand out. As far as carrying it, it stays in my carry-on bags. So far, no one has ever ask.

Last month in Vegas, I was able to log a couple on the way from the hotel to dinner and back.

Hiemdahl

I travel by air about every other week, and have had no problems with a GPSr in my carry-on bag. They do tend to give it a good look, since I usually have two GPSrs, one camera, and two cell phones, all in the same bag. I wouldn't put them in my checked luggage, due to the new procedures that allow the checkers to handcheck the bags. No use in tempting a honest person.

Madog "Discover of America"

I'm an electronics junkie and often wander aboard with my Palm VII (wireless), laptop, DVD player, CD player, and assorted recorders including a digital one. I just show off my toys to the guys at the security checkpoint (run them through the xray machine first... it doesn't hurt them) and nobody seems to have a problem with them.

Will do the same with "Ferd", my new Magellan. Part of the reason I wanted it is those uploadable street maps!!!

It's no problem carrying the GPSr in your carry-on baggage.

It may be a problem if you try to use it during the flight, though. Many airlines prohibit their use. However, I recently flew cross country on Northwest and asked the captain while boarding if it was OK to use, he said "sure". It was fun to see speed, altitude, and our position on the map.

Have fun in Vegas...there are about a half dozen virtual caches on the strip. I did several when I was there a couple weeks ago.