How many caches does it take?

I cam across this cache yesterday that was of questionable worth. Well, the fact of the matter, I didn't come across it all. As it turns out the person that hid the cahe had never found one. After searching for 30 minutes in a briar patch, I decided to let someone else claim the FTF. Later, when I logged the "not found", I noticed that the person had never found a single cache! I am not one to follow all rules but it would seem that caches hidden by virgin newbies should be avoided. Anybody have anything to add or their own comments? I know that from now on, I will think twice about going out of my way for such caches.

"the future is no place to place your better days"- dmb

quote:
Originally posted by 2LukNF8:

I am not one to follow all rules but it would seem that caches hidden by virgin newbies should be avoided.

So just how are caches going to placed in areas that currently don't have any?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Of questionable worth is relative if you exclude the hunt. What I was commenting upon was the lack of exposure of this newbie to how other caches are placed and the myriad ways to make it both challengin and enjoyable. The seleted park was a good choice but the placement and the description were misleading. As noted, my current experience will insure that I will take note in the future of the person placing the cache before I go out of my way to attempt.

Y'know, the discussion goes both ways, with me seeing each side of the issue. Some newbies should wait to place a cache until some finds are made, others don't need to. Who is to say when any particular team should place a cache, and what number should be the threshhold for getting blanket permission from the community to do so?

I seem to remember a 'team' in Canada that had few or no finds, yet placed some of the most complex caches this sport has seen. The bounty was pretty significant too for a first finder.

It just appears that sometimes caches fail to meet up to the expectation of the finder, and looking for something to blame said disappointment on, they look to the number of finds for the cacher who placed it.

This is going to be a vicious cycle that will continue to generate new threads, despite the fact that the horse has been beaten/stabbed/drawn n quartered/hanged/etc...

[/vent]

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:

Of questionable worth is relative if you exclude the hunt. What I was commenting upon was the lack of exposure of this newbie to how other caches are placed and the myriad ways to make it both challengin and enjoyable. The seleted park was a good choice but the placement and the description were misleading. As noted, my current experience will insure that I will take note in the future of the person placing the cache before I go out of my way to attempt.

Well, if you ever come to NJ, you might want to check out this cache of questionable worth:

Alluvial Material placed byTeam Epitome 0 finds and 2 hides. I'm sure since they show zero finds, you will find the cache neither challenging, nor enjoyable.

Yes, I agree people SHOULD find some caches before hiding them. Just looking at a person's profile doesn't always tell the full story though. Since you didn't actually FIND the cache, it's pretty hard to pass judgement on how good it is or isnt.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
I noticed that the person had never found a single cache! I am not one to follow all rules but it would seem that caches hidden by virgin newbies should be avoided.

First off, you never found the cache, so how can you denigrate it? And to answer your question, some of the best caches I ever found were placed by so-called newbies. See this cache, which was nominated as one of the the best caches in the northeast and this cache which is among the most challenging hunts in my area. Look at the cache owner's hide and find counts and at the logs.

The point is that it doesn't take a lot of finds to place a good cache. My first cache was placed with only one find under my belt and its still one of my best. The only thing I've learned since was that I didn't have to put so much effort into choosing the container, contents and location.

Y'know, something on the MagellanGPS hunt page should sum this up in short order...

quote:

Moroccan Treasure

Please disregard the previously posted coordinates for this treasure. We apologize for any inconvenience to those of you who attempted to locate it. Below are the correct coordinates. We are pleased to announce that this treasure location has been confirmed, verified, double-checked and is indeed at these coordinates.

The moral of the story: Even the big dogs make mistakes.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
The moral of the story: Even the big dogs make mistakes.

Not that I'm a big dog, but I posted a cache and woke up the next morning to see if it was approved. I noticed on the map that it was somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

That set a few bells off, so I checked the coordinates and found a really big error.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
My first cache was placed with only one find under my belt and its still one of my best. The only thing I've learned since was that I didn't have to put so much effort into choosing the container, contents and location.

This isn't directed at the individual who made the statement, who has done a consistently fine job on placing caches, but the second sentence of that quote would tend to explain, and practically guarantee, the first.

My daughter had found 100 caches before she placed her first. She logged her first cache right around her 200th.

Give or take.

The ONLY thing that worries me about Newbie caches is the LL errors. Most "Big Dogs" know to double check the topo map link etc. to check their coordinates. Newbies may not.

And to this day I've been on more goose chases caused by big dogs than newbies.

I've placed 5 caches so far. A few were difficult based on area (finding legal parking), while others were simple in every aspect. My most recent cache consumed 20+ hours of time over the course of 2 days planning the cache locations, and finding the clues to ask questions on. I'm sure there are a few that just think some of my caches are a waste of time, while others will choose not to waste their time solving my puzzle cache. I could care less if I please everyone or noone. If you want to find my cache(s), go for it. If not, there's 1800 others in this state for you to seek.

The bottom line is that I enjoyed placing the caches, and enjoy reading the logs on them.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

My daughter had found 100 caches before she placed her first. She logged her first cache right around her 200th.

She found 200 caches before she logged one? I'm confused. icon_confused.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

First Online Log. Log book is different entirely. The online log is all you can look at when checking out a cache placer.

quote:

I just happened to notice that even an experienced geocacher, with 87 finds and 17 hides under his belt, can still screw up hiding a new cache

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I think a person with a bunch of hides and no finds has a better potential of having better hides than a seasoned finder. They think solely on one thing like hiding it. Where as the rest think about finding and then hiding...

Well said, because my preference is for the hide rather than the find. And I have more on the drawing boards which will stay in the harder to navigate and find category. Just did a 3x5 yesterday, now I wait and see what they are going to do on the 4th of July.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.