Bicycling Multi-cache Distance

bykenut

I am thinking of putting together a multi-cache that involves bicycle riding on paved multi-use trails and flat residential streets in order to get to each stage of the cache. About what mileage would someone who is a non-cyclist but reasonably fit could cover?

I know I can make it whatever distance I want, but would like to it to be within reach of many geocachers.

I have a series of 3 caches (Bike the BPA Trail #1,#2, and #3) that are around 4 miles round trip total on reasonably hilly paved trails but it can also be walked pretty easily if you're into sunburn.

There's a nearby 10-mile round trip cache (Soos Creek Trail) on very flat terrain that is actually easier to pedal, with lots of strategically placed shade.

Anything in that range is reasonable.

Hey, thanks for asking this! I've been meaning to post this exact question. I'm in Michigan, though, so I'd better get on it soon, or wait until spring.

The distance really throws off he clayjar system, IMHO. A two-mile loop touring historical markers (ie multi-leg) results in a 3/3. If you say the bike is "required specialized equipment", it becomes a 3/5. So adjust accordingly if you use it.

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on August 15, 2002 at 07:36 AM.]

I'm terribly out of shape, but I agree that 3 to 5 miles would be something I could do on a bike. My husband, who is a better cycler and in good shape, could probably do 10 miles on the flat without stressing about it.

If there are any benches or picnic tables along the route where one could rest, that increases th e distance. I'd love a route where I could bicycle for 2 or 3 miles, have a picnic lunch with the family, then do another 2 or 3 miles.

Shannah