What's your favorite cache?

Guest jeremy

Guest jeremy

I will (eventually) have a rating system for caches, whatever that will be, but in the meantime -- what is your favorite cache and why?

Mine was the Interurban bike cache, the first multi-cache I found. Unfortunately it has now been archived.

Jeremy

Guest Scout

A site for rating caches has been set up.

As more and more caches are hidden, it has become impossible to review them all to identify those really top-notch caches to either add to your must-visit list or just to study for ways to improve your own caches. Now, there's a way for cache hunters and hiders to rate each other's caches (and their own!) to better share information about what makes a really top-notch cache, and what doesn't.

The site is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GlitterOrLitter .

You will have to register to view the database. Once you have registered, you can go directly to the database with this bookmark: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GlitterOrLitter/database?method=reportRows&tbl=1 .

Once on the database page, you can click on "Add record" to add your own ratings. You can sort the records by clicking on any field name. You can filter the records by typing in any search term in the box in the upper right of the screen and clicking on "This table."

Note: some people may not care to have their caches rated in this fashion. We will make every effort to comply with individual wishes in this regard.

Guest jeremy

This is exactly NOT what I'm talking about. I would hope people don't confuse my request with the idea of a ismycachehotornot.com kind of rating.

Jeremy

Guest Hawk-eye

There are two types I like ... the first is what my son & I refer to as "quickies" ... not to be confused with other "sports". Those are the ones that are relatively quick to get to from car to cache and back ... but are creatively hidden or have a puzzle to them. Sort of spur of the moment hunts ... say ... if you just passing through an area. The second is the long drawn out versions with a good hike associated with it ... in a great area with something to see. Of course creative placement ... is a must ... don't want to walk all that way just to trip over the cache. The Elvis Confluence was a great hike and tough one to get to ... although the placement and the cache itself left a little to be desired. By the way ... as of today ... no one else had reached it again.

Well there's our two cents worth ...

Guest Paul Lamble

Well, so far . . .

The Katy Trail 174 has been head and shoulders above all of the other caches I've found. We drove more than 100 miles to get close. Then we rented bikes at a small historic town. Then we cycled five miles along the bike trail by the Missouri River and had to find the cache somewhere in the face of a 200 foot limestone cliff!

It was a hanging-by-my-fingertips find. Really worth the effort.

It's near the town of Columbia in Missouri, which now has a half dozen caches, so it might be worthy of a visit to make a day of it.

Paul Lamble

Guest Moun10Bike

e history included with the cache, and the fact that it introduced me to a very beautiful area that for whatever reason I had never visited. Other caches were also very memorable for a variety of reasons, such as "London's First Cache," "Eggcellent," "Key Peninsula Cache," and "Dandelion Cache."

Great topic!

Guest Artful Dodger

I think a cool cache would be a multi-cache type system where there are clues, puzzles, riddles and rhymes to clue one to the waypoint of the next cache in the sequence - but with a twist...there should be a few red herrings type of caches out there stating "SORRY! You're on the wrong track - Try again!".

Ideally, this should be a real puzzler that would take some clever detective work.

..and wouldn't it be nice if it included a corporate sponsor like Budweiser or NASCAR or McDonald's. A group of clever marketing gurus could conjure up something..!! icon_biggrin.gif

...anyway, I ramble on...just a thought! I want credit for this idea Jeremy if it ever happens one day.!! tongue.gif

In the meantime, I will try and figure out a great one over summer.

Dodger

Guest Artful Dodger

I think a cool cache would be a multi-cache type system where there are clues, puzzles, riddles and rhymes to clue one to the waypoint of the next cache in the sequence - but with a twist...there should be a few red herrings type of caches out there stating "SORRY! You're on the wrong track - Try again!".

Ideally, this should be a real puzzler that would take some clever detective work.

..and wouldn't it be nice if it included a corporate sponsor like Budweiser or NASCAR or McDonald's. A group of clever marketing gurus could conjure up something..!! icon_biggrin.gif

...anyway, I ramble on...just a thought! I want credit for this idea Jeremy if it ever happens one day.!! tongue.gif

In the meantime, I will try and figure out a great one over summer.

Dodger

Guest robamy

Well besides my own (in Illinois GC28 and GC85B) because I put a lot of thought into them. icon_wink.gif I would have to say GC57 in AZ because it was very quiet and semi-remote. I just felt like I was out in the middle of nowhere with great views.

Guest robamy

Well besides my own (in Illinois GC28 and GC85B) because I put a lot of thought into them. icon_wink.gif I would have to say GC57 in AZ because it was very quiet and semi-remote. I just felt like I was out in the middle of nowhere with great views.

Guest Hawk-eye

...forgot one ... "The Treasure Trove" ... one of the quickie types ... not a great location, but when you opened the stash and a "Billy Bass" starts singing "Rolling on the river" ... it's hilarious. I can imagine the laughter heard in that little gully everytime someone opens that stash .... Really enjoyed the laugh after crawling through the briars!

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

what is your favorite cache and why?

South Africa lacks many caches, but so far the tougher, the better!

My best would be my first attempt. I had planned it some time before, but finally got around to try it some time later - attempting it from the wrong side of the mountain!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=389

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by Artful Dodger:

I think a cool cache would be a multi-cache type system where there are clues, puzzles, riddles and rhymes ...

Take a look at GC911. It doesn't take the concept as far as you would like, but it's a start. Even led both successful finders down a few false trails, but there was no "Sorry" cache there like you would like.

My favorite was GC742, a really clever three-stage cache by depthfinder that caused almost every seeker to scratch his head once or twice before he caught on to the game.

[This message has been edited by Scout (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest Iron Chef

I haven't been to too many caches, but I would have to say that Raygun and Coralgeo's "Shake Your Booty" is my favorite so far. Great neck of the woods and it's a pretty signifigant historical site in a way I guess. My second favorite is Buxley's "B is for Beachhead" just because I like that kind of beach and it was one of those "fun for the whole family" kinda caches.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest bcbpbob

My favorite cache is my 1st one. I took my two kids, 9 & 5 out to find Lime Green by Ron Streeter. Its not that the cache itself was so great. It was a cold and drizzely day. The kids and I hiked for 7 miles round trip. Up steep hills (Bushwacking) and on trails with sticky mudd. We made it to the cache, and my daughter was 1st to spot it. She pulled a really nice mirror from the stash and my son took a light up YO-YO. It was a great time, I was so proud of my kids for hanging tough through the hike. We have been hooked ever since. But definetly my favorite to date..

Guest Artful Dodger
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

South Africa lacks many caches, but so far the tougher, the better!

Hey Peter!

I will be in South Africa in July/August to visit family. Since I am originally from Durban and Johannesburg, I will sprinkle a few caches around there.

I also intend to visit Mozambique for some scuba diving - I'll put a couple there, too. tongue.gif

Guest 300mag

uestion.

I like them all for different reason's.I think my "King of the mountain"gc78f is somewhat special.Everytime i go up there i am amazed of the superb view of the area.It is a nice place and so relaxing.It is a bit of a hike depending from the starting point but well worth it.(I think) icon_smile.gif

Guest 300mag

uestion.

I like them all for different reason's.I think my "King of the mountain"gc78f is somewhat special.Everytime i go up there i am amazed of the superb view of the area.It is a nice place and so relaxing.It is a bit of a hike depending from the starting point but well worth it.(I think) icon_smile.gif

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

I think my "King of the mountain"gc78f is somewhat special.Everytime i go up there i am amazed of the superb view of the area.It is a nice place and so relaxing.

I agree 300Mag.......So far that one is my favorite in this area. Can't beat that view! icon_smile.gif

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

I think my "King of the mountain"gc78f is somewhat special.Everytime i go up there i am amazed of the superb view of the area.It is a nice place and so relaxing.

I agree 300Mag.......So far that one is my favorite in this area. Can't beat that view! icon_smile.gif

Guest Farqhuarson

quote:
Originally posted by Artful Dodger:

..and wouldn't it be nice if it included a corporate sponsor like Budweiser or NASCAR or McDonald's. A group of clever marketing gurus could conjure up something..!! cool.gif The Project APE is definitely on the right track.

the less any commercial entities have to do with this the better as far as i'm concerned.

but in response to the original question, my favorite one so far has been the first one i did while i was out near Big Bend in west Texas. "Texas Mountain" if i'm not mistaken. Didn't find it while i was there, but that was my own dumb fault. But i loved the hike to it.

[This message has been edited by Farqhuarson (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest wtmrn

I don't know whch one is my favorite. When I've been to them all I'll let everyone know. Until then 95 down and a couple thousand to go.

wtmrn

Guest EraSeek

I agree with Moun10Bike. The Tie Mill Cache might always remain my favorite because it was my first TOUGH find. Plus it was high on a mountain, in a deep and foggy forest! My kinda place. I have had many since then though that could be rated just as high.

Guest chipper

I'd have to say mine was Black Hornet Mine Cache (gc780).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1920

I guess the reason I would choose it was because of the unexpected. I went after it on the spur of the moment. Didn't have any topos just a set of coordinates. Later, I found that there was a dirt road that led most of the way back to the site. The path I took brought me across two mountain ranges with over 6000 feet of altitude change. A mile and a half walk takes a lot longer when its straight up hill! The trek would not have been half as much fun if I had known that I could drive almost directly to the site. I had the oportunity to see a lot of country than nothing but deer and quail had ever seen.

Guest barefoot

I'd have to say that my favorites to date are CityCache3 and End Of The Road.

CityCache3 is stashed at one of the most beautiful and historically interesting locations of San Francisco. The location is moderately dangerous (don't bring the kids) but well worth the risk. On a clear day, the view could distract you for hours.

End Of The Road is tucked away on a levee down in south SF Bay at the point where it emerges from the sloughs and backwaters and heads out into open waters. It's extremely windy out there, but otherwise quiet and peaceful. The slough is usually occupied with all sorts of interesting marsh birds and the view is spectacular here as well.

I'm looking forward to NEW favorites, but thanks to Jim and Black Francis for placing these near me.

-barefoot

Guest Steveonne

Jeremy placed a cache up on Snoqualmie Pass named, "Iron Horse". If you want an incredibly exhilarating walk thru a tunnel that is over 2 miles long, then give this one a try. Evenergy and I never even found the cache, but this one is, so far, is may favorite cache hunt.

Steveonne

Guest Silver

I have agree that the Tie Mill cache was my current favorite, though the Interurban cache is a very close second.

I also have to put the 'For the love of geocaching' in there because it was such a fun puzzle cache.

(Can I vote 3 times for a favorite? No? Didn't think so)

Silver

Guest bearboy

The best one that I have placed so far has been my Haymarsh Site.It is a cool multi stage cache that would have you believe you can just walk from 1 stage to the next.However ,There is a little water in the way.I will never forget my first cache the one that got me hooked.It is Matt Stumms Acorns cache.That was great fun and I didnt know what to expect.I also like one called Covered Crossing here in Michigan.That was really great .I found that one at night .

Guest rusty

quote:
Originally posted by bearboy:

I also like one called Covered Crossing here in Michigan.That was really great .I found that one at night .

I liked the Covered Crossing one also, it is a great example of hiding something in plain sight. You can drive right to it but it can still be a bugger to find.

My favorite so far is Cleenjeep's Puttin on the Fitz, we had lousy weather that day and I think that just made it better. I can't believe no one else has logged it yet. If you want a unique hunt in the Michigan area check out any of Cleenjeep's caches.

Rusty...

Guest cleenjeep

* I am blushing now * Quite flattered, thank you very much Rusty! I dropped one out in the woods near you a couple of weeks ago, in a game area, but I lost the coordinates. Oops. I guess I will have to come back out there! It was near old Denton Road, I was doing some wheeling with a friend out there, and there were some nice areas where odd openings in the woods appeared, and were quite rocky. There isn't any terrain like that around my part of MI, so I placed a cache nearby, since I thought it was interesting. I might just have to pitch a tent out there sometime, and have a little campout.

I also enjoyed the Covered Crossing cache, it took me two trips to find it! He he he.. I will always remember that one! Plus, my dog had a great time swimming in the Flat River, and I luckily had her long leash attached, else she might have floated away!

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest bunkerdave

I think my favorite so far is the "Potter's Pond Cache" in Central Utah. The drive is spectacular, the setting serene and unspoiled, and the cache itself is unique. This was the first one In Utah, and would be a good one after which other Cachers could model their own caches.

Another cache I enjoyed was the "Spring Canyon Point" cache near Moab, Utah. I found it at almost midnight by a full moon, and the view was still spectacular.

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 18 June 2001).]

Guest DrewG

I'd have to say my favorites so far have been The Truth Behind Flowerland by cleenjeep(although I can't explain why without ruining half the fun icon_smile.gif) and Dunetop by B&C for its sheer beauty. Not that I've found that many yet... It's been awhile since I've gone hunting due to some ugly work hours, but I fully intend to start up once again! (The New and Improved Puttin' on the Fitz will be my next conquest, I think... Tried the original a few times before it was declared dead and I hate leaving a challenge unfinished.)

Just as an Awww moment, I met a great girl by hunting for geocaching buddies and catching her interest. She seems to think that both the sport and I are pretty cool. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by DrewG (edited 18 June 2001).]

Guest DrewG

I'd have to say my favorites so far have been The Truth Behind Flowerland by cleenjeep(although I can't explain why without ruining half the fun icon_smile.gif) and Dunetop by B&C for its sheer beauty. Not that I've found that many yet... It's been awhile since I've gone hunting due to some ugly work hours, but I fully intend to start up once again! (The New and Improved Puttin' on the Fitz will be my next conquest, I think... Tried the original a few times before it was declared dead and I hate leaving a challenge unfinished.)

Just as an Awww moment, I met a great girl by hunting for geocaching buddies and catching her interest. She seems to think that both the sport and I are pretty cool. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by DrewG (edited 18 June 2001).]

Guest brownbag

the last time we were cleaning the house.

That is not to say they are all in bad locations. I have found more in really interesting locations than hidden under a pile of concrete in a field next to an office building or behind someone's house. Fortunately, my goal is to see interesting places and get some exercise rather than find a cache with anything worth finding. I'm just going to make sure that my caches are both in interesting places and have something worth finding. :-)

Guest Markwell

Favorite Find away from home: "Hawg" (GC1D0)

Favorite Find near home: "Saw Wee Kee" (GC778)

Favorite Hide near home: "Hard as Pi" (GCC9D)

Hiding one next month away from home...

Guest lhbadman

I went to the "Incredible Loot" cache, it was mind boggling! I had an easy walk in, gorgeous women were handing out beer and donuts at the trailhead. After a while, my feet were getting tired, so I stopped at the message shack for a workover. After the shapely masseause tipped me $50, I pressed on. When I found the glittering golden bottomless ammo can, the card inside said "no one can stop at just one- take as many as you want!" I took the large emerald and the keys to the Lexus...

Huh? Wha- dadgum it... must of been day dreaming. What was the topic?