Is It Really That Bad?

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

It's time for a friendly whisper from the referee in this thread. Solohiker, your comments to Cache Couple were out of line. They have their opinion and you have yours. They were fairly polite in their posting. You can bash the admins a bit but please be polite to the rest of the community. I would refer you to Fizzymagic's post for an example of a respectful argument on the merits of Cache Couple's post, but for one or two sentences that were a bit over the line. Everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how long they've been a member here.

Brian Snat, I'd much rather see you debate Solohiker on the merits than to continue observing that he hikes alone. That joke's been made, it is directed at the person rather than the ideas, and it's getting old.

Thanks everyone and please play nicely in the sandbox.

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

Maybe I have sand in my eyes. Which comment did I address to the cache couple that was out of line?

quote:
Maybe I have sand in my eyes. Which comment did I address to the cache couple that was out of line?

Perhaps it was where you essentially told them they don't know what the flock they were talking about.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

solohiker,

As you have seen by my example concerning administration and forums, it is a moot point.

You are only going to dig yourself in deeper.

People are going to hate you for your continuous attacks and personal "strive" to be the new bad guy.

Please show some respect, Solohiker has been a bad guy for awhile now.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

Perhaps if you wish folks to understand where you are coming from, you should give specifics instead of talking in generalities and telling people to 'research'.

So far, my experiences are at odds with yours and it appears I'm not the only one saying so, so if you wish to be taken seriously, you might want to give us something to work with.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

[This message was edited by yumitori on September 18, 2003 at 12:29 PM.]

This is a thread to discuss whether "things are really that bad" and I do not wish for it to become either a thread to pick on solohiker or a thread where solohiker's previous situations are debated again. If solohiker would like to provide a quick link to another thread or two, that'd be fine. Other participants in this thread could also search for topics he's posted to, if so inclined.

That being said, Cache Couple or other forum posters are not required to "do research" on solohiker's previous posts in order to participate in the topic being discussed in this thread. And by not doing such research that does not mean that "assumptions" are being made. Just opinions being expressed. Cache Couple's posts demonstrate their ability to "understand" what is being discussed.

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on September 18, 2003 at 12:16 PM.]

I'm not going to comment on anything, with the exception of this:

quote:
Originally posted by The Cache Couple:

As far as the lecturing point, with all due respect, this is a farce. It is my opinion and thats all, an opinion. Anyone can either take the opinion or not, it's totally up to them.

The "it's just my opinion" argument is completely fallacious. Surely you can do better than this. It's just a weak attempt to avoid responsibility for your words. After all, flames are "just opinions," too. So are the posts to which your original message objected.

The fact of the matter is that you undertook to lecture us all on how we should behave in the forums. You chose to say:

quote:
Use this forum for what it is intended, for fun and enjoyment for all! If you have an idea or suggestion that you feel is worthy of the sport, by all means share it in the forums as well as with TPTB. But please do so in the right way.

That looks a lot more like a lecture than an opinion to me. Opinions are usually prefaced by words like "I think..." or "In my opinion..." and are about facts and ideas. Lectures usually consist of admonitions, such as "do so in the right way."

'nuff said.

Dear fizzymagic,

Thanks again for posting on this thread. Although I probably should not reply to your last posting I will do so just to say a few words.

quote:
The "it's just my opinion" argument is completely fallacious. Surely you can do better than this. It's just a weak attempt to avoid responsibility for your words. After all, flames are "just opinions," too. So are the posts to which your original message objected.

I hereby pronounce to you and all others that have visited this topic that the comments in which I have made regarding it is of my responsibility and I regret nothing that I have said. I still do believe what I have said to be the facts and beliefs as I see it. There may be some instances in which to vent but the way one chooses to do this is what I am challenging and asking folks to use tact when doing so. And also to address it to the ones that can make a difference.

quote:
That looks a lot more like a lecture than an opinion to me. Opinions are usually prefaced by words like "I think..." or "In my opinion..." and are about facts and ideas. Lectures usually consist of admonitions, such as "do so in the right way."

Again, no lecture was intended in this but if you choose to feel it as such then so be it as I can't change ones beliefs.

If you have any other concerns or comments regarding my posts or this post itself I ask that you email me or invite me to a private topic. In my opinion the forum is not a place to debate ones intentions or try to put words in ones mouth. If it comes to that then it is between the two parties and not for the forums. I will be glad to discuss this with you in private if you choose.

Thanks again for your post on this topic and again I hope you have a great day and happy cachin'! icon_smile.gif

I have to post something here. Iam fairly new at this (111 finds) I have recently begun reading the forums and have just one thing to say. IT IS JUST A MESSAGE BOARD!!!! LIGHTEN UP A LITTLE PEOPLE!!!!!! This is not specific to this thread. It seems there is a lot of bickering that goes on around here.

Jason

SO THAT ONE MAY WALK IN PEACE.......

There is bickering on every message board.

It is nature of the beast. People disagree and a forum usually offers an opportunity to argue differences. Name calling and slurs are common. I catch a lot of flack for voicing my opinon, but I also receive support from posters who agree. I find expressing emotion and honesty very refreshing.

Not everyone agrees.

quote:

Maybe, but as I sort of said here, most people who do these argumentative post do it on purpose to incite in the fashion of a troll. Also, like I said there, it has been nice to see the bickering on our local board go away. It was short lived, it was brought on by one person and it eventually ended with him leaving the boards because no one wanted to have any discussions with him. We also added Forums Posting Guidelines after his episode and to date we have not had to moderate a single post. Our guidelines have been there for almost a year.

Yes, it can be done with productive discussion and without petty bickering.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

quote:

Maybe, but as I sort of said http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&s=5726007311&a=tpc&f=4016058331&m=15560068&r=58160478#58160478, most people who do these argumentative post do it on purpose to incite in the fashion of a http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll. Also, like I said there, it has been nice to see the bickering on our local board go away. It was short lived, it was brought on by one person and it eventually ended with him leaving the boards because no one wanted to have any discussions with him. We also added Forums Posting Guidelines after his episode and to date we have not had to moderate a single post. Our guidelines have been there for almost a year.

Yes, it can be done with productive discussion and without petty bickering.

So if I understand correctly, you had a solo cacher that was complaining and causing disention among the ranks. When this solo cacher left your boards they were pleasant again. Do I understand that correctly?

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

cache_new.jpg