Might make a good cache container...

Roger, I was impressed with the time capsule device. But because it is not clear plastic, I will choose not to use it. We have had some problem with nut cases planting booby traps inside sealed objects resembling cache containers. So far the cops have not made any connection, but I'm sure they could. The booby traps have been acid/soda type which blow up when tipped or handled carelessly. One person was hospitalized.

For my own standard, I will use biscotti containers which I get for free from the local book & coffee shop. The clear plastic allows the finder to see most of the contents at a quick glance. I do recomend washing it out to eliminate any scent that would attract critters who would ruin the whole thing. Also the biscotti container is a wide mouth, 1 gal. affair that can accomodate larger travel bugs, etc. I pack 'em full.

See ya round, play fair, keep geoing.

Captain Walker, Frodo & the gang

Dark River Rangers, Florida Company.

quote:
The clear plastic allows the finder to see most of the contents at a quick glance.

If someone is intent on causing harm, a clear container won't mean diddley-squat. Just gives you a false sense of security. How can one determine if the contents are harmful "at a quick glance"?

I think these are great containers and will probably buy a few.

BTW, where is this spate of booby trapped geocaches occurring? First I've heard of it.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

quote:
New DOritos' COntainers look like they would make a good Micro cache

You have to be very careful using old food containers for geocaches. It's very difficult to get the food smell out of them and animls might find the container very interesting. I had a Rubbermaid cache that was chewn through. The container had held food in the past. I ran it through the dishwasher several times, then soaked it in bleach and it aparently still smelled like food to some rodent.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Found this this today.

Check out the time capsile at the top of the page. (Be sure to click on the photo link).

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=3

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I saw these in a discount bookstore and thought they looked good at first. After playing with it a bit in the store though, they didnt seem to seal very well. I don't think the ones I saw (and they came with all that stuff too) would last long outside without getting damp inside.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

They haven't hit our area yet....but those New DOritos' COntainers look like they would make a good Micro cache. Has anyone seen them? are they Plastic? and would they make a good mini?

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

Well, those doritos containera make fantastic paintball ammo tubes (what i use em for) but for caches? I dunno, they dont seal very well at all.

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[http://enos.deviantart.com]

quote:
Originally posted by Enos Shenk, KSC:

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

They haven't hit our area yet....but those New DOritos' COntainers look like they would make a good Micro cache. Has anyone seen them? are they Plastic? and would they make a good mini?

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

Well, those doritos containera make fantastic paintball ammo tubes (what i use em for) but for caches? I dunno, they dont seal very well at all.

Not only does the lid not fit tightly, but there are actually holes in it.

warm.gif

Also from American Science & Surplus:

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=8&category=89

Might make for an interesting larger micro or underwater cache--gasketed so watertight... Since they have a $10 minimum order, one of each container and some cache goodies would round it out--you know what, we should get a geocaching discount from them!

The only catch is you don't get to pick color, although hot pink would make for a challenging hide!

Randy