GC mentioned in TidBITS

Sorry if this has already been noted; I have been out of town and was wading through my email when this caught my eye. I have been a subscriber to this Mac-oriented ezine for several years and noticed this article in a recent issue. A bit long winded at times but I think it gives a pretty good introduction to caching. Who knows, maybe this'll bring more of us mac users to the site...

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

Wow, if it were not for the mistakes and errors and just plain bad information, it wouldn't be too bad of an article.

The part about having to pay for the hardcore premium website to hunt multicaches had me ROTFL.

The part concerning hiding your own cache was disturbing. The remark about finding 1 cache so you know what makes a good cache is obviously wrong based on the writer's own experience. We all know the part about requiring a camera in the cache is wrong. One of their 3 caches was hidden on NPS land (which they admit being too lazy to drive across town to actually retrieve after it was declined!) and another probably got carted off by critters since they started it full of candy!

I did get a good chuckle at least about the " amateurish" spin-off site that starts with Navi and ends with cache.com.icon_biggrin.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Yeah, I'm a Mac-head, but that is a terrible article. This person obviously didn't do much research on the subject. My wife is a writer and I know she spends hours if not days or weeks researching something before she even drafts an article.

Other than planting the idea of geocaching in the minds of others, this is misleading publicity.

====================================

Searching through the cave. Team VaxCave.

Couldn't figure out her username. Wonder how long it took for those 2 out of 3 hides to disappear...at least long enough for a number of finds if the camera filled up. Too bad it wasn't long enough for her to get all the facts straight. Yeah, I dont think it's terribly well written but it least it doesn't focus on all the issues that the media love to dredge up that cast caching in a bad light.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)