Why does everybody leave such detailed directions to the cache ?

Guest BIGED

Guest BIGED

I'm a new guy so I'm not sure why they are so detailed. I thought you where supposed to leave it up to the GPS and a compass to do the work for you. Please help me understand a little more.

Thanks,BIGED

Guest Scout

A range of information is posted because geocachers are a diverse group of people with a diverse range of needs and wants.

If all you want are the GPS coordinates, don't read the descriptions. If you want a description of the cache surroundings or journey to it, perhaps to decide which caches to seek, read the descriptions. If you want to check on others' experiences to make darn sure the cache is where the hider says it is and there are no unpleasant surprises, then read the spoilers (aka logs).

To each his own. That's what great about the geocaching.com cache pages.

Guest rijn

On our first cache hunt my Husband and I meandered around for good while trying in vane to find the cache. Finally we decided to decipher the cheat only to find out that it had no information what so ever on the location of the cache only where to park to get to it. Granted we were very inexperienced and eventually figured out we put the coordinates in wrong. My point is that on the cache we placed I have left exact directions to the actual cache in the encrypted cheat. I don?t imagine people will look at it until they there and if they can?t find the cache and since is out in the boonies I would hate to have a such a long drive and not find the cache. Of course this is our first so I am hoping to get some tips in the found logs or via email about things we can do to improve our next one.