Yearbook

Dru Morgan

OK, several people have talked about making a book for geocaching, ala geocaching for dummies. But others have rightly mentioned that there is not much a book can offer that actually getting out and experiencing geocaching wouldn't show you better.

How about this though? A geocaching yearbook. I am picturing it mostly done with photos like a coffee table book. I really like the cache camera photos of finders that are really out of frame like this one...

25710_1200.jpg found at this cache.

I would love a nice photo book of some great pictures like this. But, maybe it could be more. How about some nice scenic photos from the great photographers we have in our group. Maybe it needs more, like stories from the trail from caching contributors. The Rennaisance Faire, here in CA, publishes a pretty nice softbound yearbook every faire and it sells for $5.00 when finished. We could use that format. Also, they 'pass the torch' every year to a new editor so that the style for each one is unique. I would love to edit the first one, and then 'pass the torch'.

Anyone else like this idea? Any better ideas? Anyone want to contribute their photos? High quality scans would be required rather than the jpgs on the site.

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

All of the pictures I post to logs start out as 4 megapixel images that I use photoshop to bring them down to the 100k filesize limit. Here is a recent one of my niece:

721939_200.JPG

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Start collecting your submissions, photos, stories, articles, and such. I'll post back when I get the format that they should be in. This will be a great way for us all to express ourself, show off our photos and have a hardcopy record of the progression of our sport.

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

Hey!

Sounds like a really good project. Any idea on the format yet? I mean like the different sections it would have?

You could make it something like this

Chapter 1: In the Beginning

(Detailed information about how the sport came about and the beginning of the sport)

Chapter 2: The Old Timers

(Pictures, caches and interesting stories from some of the oldest cachers in the sport)

Chapter 3: A Day in the Life

(A day is designated say like December 31, 2002 or some other day when everybody goes geocaching and takes pictures of their day, all pictures get submitted and the best ones make it into the book)

Chapter 4: The Best Laid Plans

(Stories about the time everything went wrong on the hunt...humor)

Chapter 5: Memory Everlasting

(Stories about truly memorable times while out on the hunt)

Chapter 6: Looking Foreword

(Predictions and analysis of where the sport has been and where it is going)

Appendix A: You and you GPS

(Tips and information about data points, waypoints, and good things to remember about your special friend)

Appendix B: Hide and Seek

(Information and tips about how to package hide and locate caches)

Appendix C: First Aid

(Basic first aid)

Appendix D: Survival 101

(Tips and tricks while out in the while, how to find north, what water is good, etc)

Feel free to use some of none of what's here, just throwing out ideas. I would definitely buy a book when they become available.

Great Idea

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

Keep 'em coming. I am picturing a low cost book that we could compile and print twice a year. Spring and Fall editions. The format would be somewhat consistant, if not so rigid, but would definitely be seasonal. I mean, the book would not go over the whole history of geocaching each time but would feature stuff from the current season.

I would prefer Annual yearbook rather than a bi-Annual periodical, because with anything more frequent the specialness of it tends to ware off. Also, now you have to worry about ordering the darn thing every six months or you have to worry about distribution and subscription.

Also, I would prefer something tangible and in my hands, not PDF. Maybe Jeremy could sell it though the site ?

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

OK, several people have talked about making a book for geocaching, ala geocaching for dummies.

I think we might be able to add your new stories to our upcoming 3rd edition of Geocaching for Dummies. :-)

http://www.geocoins.ca/images/dummies.gif

Very funny!

And hey! That reflections picture is one of the first pictures I ever came across on this site. So that was you, eh?

We could use your hand in that picture with the glove for the winter edition of "the hand".

Cache you later,

Planet

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

Maybe a PDF add on, but a bound version is what I am picturing.

I do like the idea of annually. Either twice a year, or once. No more frequent than that.

I want to oversee the distribution, but I would like to pass the baton after editing the first one so we can have different people put their personal touch on the issue they edit.

For submissions of articles, original stories, original comics/humor, pictures and even ads (we could decide not to use them) you can use my http://www.theheavenlyhost.com domain. dru@theheavenlyhost.com is fine. I do have some anti spam software running, but it is not hard for legitimate emails to get past.

If we stick with the format of the books that I am familiar with, the end cost is $5.00 If we deviate from that format for some reason we can adjust the price accordingly. I don't really see this as a way to make a profit, but a way that we can memorialize our collective journey.

Now, who wants to nominate some names for this geomag?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

Chapter 18. You will eventually come across women's panties in the woods while geocaching

As opposed to... _men's_ panties?? icon_biggrin.gif

Anything is possible(I'm a jockey's man myself). Then there's the Underoos Funderwear that Anders sports.

"Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape."

Bought the digital camera today. Learning how to use the software tomorrow, and the next day and the next....

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

see this thread (at the risk of flaunting Super Genius' and my own talents)http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=8470905835&r=2600925835#2600925835

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

... and this is the wife in me speaking (my wife's a paralegal) but is there any possible issues with Groundspeak over this concept? i don't think we want a problem like there was with the coins. Could he claim that stuff here is the property of Groundspeak, i.e the stories, logs, stats, etc? Just a thought.

otherwise I think it'd be cool. where do i send a cd to? I'll burn one this week.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Any chance we could just mail pics to whoever is setting this up? We take pictures at most of our cache finds (have forgotten a few times even when toting the camera the whole way!). The thought is to put together a geocaching scrap book but we always get double prints because we often cache with friends.

One thing that might be interesting is to also include some of the more intriguing log entries. These could be accompanied by pics or stand alone. I love reading log entries (online and in physical log books) and really enjoy some of the mental images they present. Perhaps this could be a separate project but I think it would combine well with a photo-journal type publication.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

Two things.

First, yes, mail them to me, if that is your favorite option.

Second, I don't want any content from this site. We have all seen that. I want original stories, art and such sent directly to me to be included. If I wanted to just make a hard copy of the content already here that might be an issue. My idea is to have people contribute original material for the yearbook.

BTW, I do like the name, "Waypoint". Should we start thinking of a deadline for material submission?

Carry on.

I love the idea of a yearbook! I would buy one. I've got some pictures... I think... I'll look icon_smile.gif.

Oh and Dru I was wondering, I've been a Deadhead for a large percentage (very large, larger than I'll admit icon_wink.gif) of my life and was wondering do other Deadheads really queastion your Christianity? Just curious icon_biggrin.gif

Boogidy

Visualize Whirled Peas