Geo-Muggles a real word?!

A few years ago my father subscribed me to A Word A Day <http://wordsmith.org/awad/index.html> -- an email service that sends out a word each day, complete with definition, example of usage, and pronunciation. Usually I just quickly glance at the email and hit the delete button.

Today's word (06-23-03) was MUGGLE. Not too surprising due to the fact that the latest Harry Potter book came out this weekend. Much to my delight however, was the second example they used -- "If a muggle stumbles on a cache, they sometimes take all the contents of the cache since they are uninformed on geocacher etiquette." (taken from an article in the Baltimore Sun (MD) 04-17-1-03).

I've been using the word geo-muggle for some time in both my cache descriptions and logs. Now I feel fully justified! :-)

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

quote:
muggle (MUHG-uhl) noun

1. An ordinary person, one with no magical powers.

2. A clumsy or unskilled person.

[From a series of children's novels by JK Rowling.]

"Of course, the team has had less magic than a muggle this year, with a

3-9 record, even with its new star player."

Lloyd Grove; The Reliable Source; The Washington Post; Nov 27, 2001.

"If a muggle stumbles on a cache, they sometimes take all the contents of

the cache since they are uninformed on geocacher etiquette."

Jessica Valdez; Players Try to Unearth Hidden Treasures in Game of

Geocache; The Sun (Baltimore, Maryland); Apr 17, 2003.

I'm on the word a day list too and I was surprised when they used geocaching as one of the example usages of the word.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast!:

If we throw some syllables together and agree on the meaning, then it's a word no matter if the 'authorities' agree or not.

We are the master of words, not Webster, therefore, geo-muggle is a word! JMHO

Ah reckon that whatcha say ain'ta crammer.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by coralgeo:

I've been using the word geo-muggle for some time in both my cache descriptions and logs.

Me too, and also in Finnish: geojästi, which I've derived from the Finnish translations of JK Rowling books.

In my opinion though, it should be written without hyphen: geomuggle. After all, we don't talk about geo-caching or geo-cachers either. Nor about geo-centrics, geo-scopes, geo-stationary orbits etc.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast!:

If we throw some syllables together and agree on the meaning, then it's a word no matter if the 'authorities' agree or not.

We are the master of words, not Webster, therefore, geo-muggle is a word! JMHO

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

Actually, Webster's is good about picking up new usage words for the very reason RK mentioned. This is the reason why slang words are added in and identified as slang. Eventually, dependant upon the usage, they may lose the slang denominator.

On the flipside, they are also known for dropping words when they are no longer used. Those are rare, but I read somewhere two or three years ago where they did just that.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by blindleader:

The word muggle actually predates Harry Potter by enough centuries that it's origin and exact meaning are no longer known.

Paraphrased from the OED...

1200s to the 1700s: A tail like that of a fish

1600s: A young woman or a sweetheart.

1920s-1980s: Marijuana.

1997-2000: The J.K. Rowlings definition.

The OED also has some etymolological information on the older words...

IT Ninja for Hire