Garmin eTrex Camo

OK, who buys these and why? Personally, if I misplaced my GPS, I'd be very happy if was day-glo. I can't count the times I've placed my Legend, or Vista down on a rock, or stump and had a hard time finding it again. If the sucker were camo, it would make it a lot harder to spot.

So, unless you are a member of a Special Ops, or Ranger unit, why would you buy a camo unit?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 29, 2003 at 03:20 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

So, unless you are a member of a Special Ops, or Ranger unit, why would you buy a camo unit?

Being a non member, I agree. As bad as I am to drop stuff I like the yellow Meridian. Plus people shooting cachers around here is not all that common. icon_biggrin.gif

o

I was going to buy an eTrex Camo, I had the money and was on my way to the store, but stopped to hunt for a cache that was on the way. I found the cache, but I couldn't buy the eTrex because I dropped my camo wallet in the woods, during the cache hunt, and couldn't find it.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

I've got one. Being a poor college student it was pretty much all I could afford. I usually don't put it down while caching. When I'm signing the log it goes in my pocket.

Also, the thing came with a lanyard. How can I lose it if it is around my neck?

"Following animal paths may make the bushwacking a little easier, but probably won't pay off in the long run, since deer tend not to geocache much." - Geocacher Peeve on the Vaught Ranch Bushwackin Fun (B.D. #2) cache

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

OK, who buys these and why?

... unless you are a member of a Special Ops, or Ranger unit, why would you buy a camo unit?

I would imagine that they were made to appeal to folks that hunt. I know ... deer are colorblind. However; Turkeys have exceptional color vision. icon_smile.gif

*Side note* If you want to make your GPSr easy to find, place a small piece of reflectorized tape on each side. Shows up well in the day, and even better at night.

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif

quote:
What's it to you?

I'm a consumer design engineer and I make my living designing consumer friendly products, including selecting product color schemes.

Well either that, or I'm just curious. I saw one in the store and thought to myself, "I'd hate to drop that thing and have to look for it in a pile of leaves".

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
I'm a consumer design engineer and I make my living designing consumer friendly products, including selecting product color schemes.

Are you familiar with hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities? Camo is very consumer friendly to that demographic. That's why someone would buy a camo ETrex.

quote:

C'mon, you can't be serious. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
*Side note* If you want to make your GPSr easy to find, place a small piece of reflectorized tape on each side.

The case I bought for my Garmin has reflective side panels. All in all the case was a good investment.

On camo stuff in general, I live in the desert the typical green camo stands ouy. For stelthy operations, like trying to get a close up of an Antelope, I wear tan dockers and a biege shirt.

BTW photographers would be the other big market for camo stuff.

"No Matter where you go there you are." - Bucaroo Bonzai

quote:
Originally posted by rusty_tlc:

On camo stuff in general, I live in the desert the typical green camo stands ouy. For stelthy operations, like trying to get a close up of an Antelope, I wear tan dockers and a biege shirt.

BTW photographers would be the other big market for camo stuff.

Bucaroo Bonzai

One look at my avatar and you know where I live, and what I wear. The Texas Chihuahua is wearing his night stealth fur!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Being that I sell GPS gear. The camo means more chances to lose one and more chances for me to sell a new GPS. Believe or not I have sole two new ones to people who had lost there GPSr's in the field. THe ones they lost were not even camo ones.

As far as wearing Camo while caching, I don't I have plenty of camo clothing but I just wear a red shirt and take some binoculars. Then if some one sees you they just fugure you are a bird watcher. The only birds I know about come out of an oven.

well, im a hunter (deer, waterfowl and upland game birds), and i could care less about the color because gps is only a tool to get me home if i need it, infact most of the time it is off unless im guiding to a particular location.

i would think that the color scheme, as it is for everything else, is simply marketing. to me there isnt much pratical use or penalty to any color scheme other than esthetics.

and about the reflective tape, depending on the type, might that interfer with sat reception?

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

I lost my first GPS (black) in the hills. Though I know it was on the trail somewhere in about a 1/4 mile range, I could not locate it at all.

Got another GPS (black) and added lots of day-glo orange tape and white reflector tape dots to it. I'd not buy a camo model. I think it's good that they finally came out with a yellow one.

The Bigg Family "Delta-S"

quote:
Originally posted by OlyHippy:

Are you familiar with hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities? Camo is very consumer friendly to that demographic. That's why someone would buy a camo ETrex.

I´m an avid hiker, climber, mountainbiker and kayaker, so I fall into your "other outdoor activities", yet I wouldn´t even dream of buying camo-stuff (as do all the people I know in this demographic). In my opinion camo GPS are simply a marketing gag for people who think that, whenever they venture into the outdoors, they ought to "look the part". Just like mindblowingly stupid stuff like this, this, this and this.

quote:
I´m an avid hiker, climber, mountainbiker and kayaker, so I fall into your "other outdoor activities", yet I wouldn´t even dream of buying camo-stuff (as do all the people I know in this demographic). In my opinion camo GPS are simply a marketing gag for people who think that, whenever they venture into the outdoors, they ought to "look the part". Just like mindblowingly stupid stuff like

Yeah, your opinion. Which convinces me even more as I read posts on this website about what's hip and what's not, it screams elitism all over the place. That's my two cents and I think it's pretty accurate.

Something to ponder, if they made a fuc*ing rainbow GPS and I said on a f@g would buy something like that, would that make me any better than you?

Hey now, that's a pretty cool looking camo Dodge truck there...and the Goose Recliner would be rockin! Thanks for posting links to that, I think I will order those right now!

I guess if you do most of your caching in the city, you would dress "normally". I see by your profile you list your location as Austria. I honestly don't know what they wear while geocaching over there, but I have a pretty good visual on it... icon_rolleyes.gif... Camo is very popular here in the good old USA for us redneck Americans, and I am proud to say I am one of them. I do, however, have to say even though I couldn't order it in a camo pattern, I am very pleased with my Austrian-made Glock pistol I own. You're welcome.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on April 30, 2003 at 09:09 PM.]