Traveling caches

Guest DanielBurton

Guest DanielBurton

I have a couple cameras I want to place in caches as travlers. The instructions on the camera would say something like, "Don't take a picture at this cache! Please take this camera to another geocache site and take a picture at the NEW geocache site."

My question is, is there any way to track traveling caches? It would be nice if I could enter it in as a cache that has for its coordinates the last known cache site. Then when it gets moved the coordinates would get updated, and people could log their "visits". Then when the camera is done taking pictures the images could be uploaded.

Guest k2dave

The way I see it is it better to instruct a pict at that cache and move it to the next - because the last person will have no pict to take or no insentive to return the cameria to you. I would put a note stating the instructions and include postage with the cameria (and box?) for the last person to send it back - or provide developing money and postage to send the picts back to you.

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

We set up a web site to track our nuts and traveling beanies. Our original idea was to call the game, "Where in the world are my nuts" icon_wink.gif But we thought that might offend someone. Anyway feel free to email us maybe we can help you track your camera's. Check our game out @ www.cachunuts.com

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

We set up a web site to track our nuts and traveling beanies. Our original idea was to call the game, "Where in the world are my nuts" icon_wink.gif But we thought that might offend someone. Anyway feel free to email us maybe we can help you track your camera's. Check our game out @ www.cachunuts.com

Guest Cisupete

I don't know what my advice would be on the best way to handle a traveling cache, but I have to tell you that I am SOOOO excited, because my first attempt proved successful today. Guido the Goat - placed in "Blasta from the Pasta" in rural Indiana is now on his way to VEGAS with a member of the Air Force !! I am so proud, I could cry. I miss him already. Godspeed Guido !!

PS. If anyone sees him, tell him to write home...........

Guest Guppy

I have a hitchiker in one of my caches. He's only a part of the cache not the whole thing. I want him to end up in a particular cache in Colorado and anyone who moves him West is asked to sign his own log book and/or e-mail me. It should be fun. Hope it works.

Guest Ginger
Originally posted by Cisupete:

Time will tell if my newest traveler is a success, or not. RUN JEREMY, RUN !! Celts and I worked hard on making this one a classic.

Cisupete - This looks great. icon_biggrin.gif I love the items he has in his "traveling case". Looks like you and Celts have put a lot of consideration into this one. I hope it all works out for Jeremy. You never know...Maybe, just maybe, he'll end up in Kentucky. icon_wink.gif

Guest Ginger
Originally posted by Cisupete:

Time will tell if my newest traveler is a success, or not. RUN JEREMY, RUN !! Celts and I worked hard on making this one a classic.

Cisupete - This looks great. icon_biggrin.gif I love the items he has in his "traveling case". Looks like you and Celts have put a lot of consideration into this one. I hope it all works out for Jeremy. You never know...Maybe, just maybe, he'll end up in Kentucky. icon_wink.gif

Guest Cisupete

Hey Markwell,

I know you are probably out dragging in the new Project APE, but a dumb question re: Scooby - are the cachers e-mailing you with new location, and you are editing original page? My Jeremy (see 2 posts up) was found today, and he is on his way to Bellevue, WA. Your site looks pretty cool, and I want to, well frankly, COPY YOUR METHOD....... icon_wink.gif

Guest Cisupete

Hey Markwell,

I know you are probably out dragging in the new Project APE, but a dumb question re: Scooby - are the cachers e-mailing you with new location, and you are editing original page? My Jeremy (see 2 posts up) was found today, and he is on his way to Bellevue, WA. Your site looks pretty cool, and I want to, well frankly, COPY YOUR METHOD....... icon_wink.gif

Guest Markwell

versions of the text saved in notepad on my computer - one for "Hidden" and one for "In Transit". I keep editing the cache page. I use mapblast's maps and MS Powerpoint to create the JPG map of their travels, but that's getting really geeky. I just keep editing the original page.

Also, let Ed Hall know that your cache is a travelling cache. He only downloads the coords once in each cache's lifetime (when it's first posted). If you want it to show up on someone else's map (Washington State), you need to let him know via e-mail when it's re-hidden.

Don't forget to also update Jeremy's hidden date, so it shows up as "new" in the destination area. I also always match Shaggy and Scooby's Difficulty and Terrain to the D/T of the cache in which they're hiding.

BTW - Shaggy and Scooby are APE Bound! Plan on hitting this weekend (can't tonight icon_frown.gif)

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 10 August 2001).]

Guest Markwell

versions of the text saved in notepad on my computer - one for "Hidden" and one for "In Transit". I keep editing the cache page. I use mapblast's maps and MS Powerpoint to create the JPG map of their travels, but that's getting really geeky. I just keep editing the original page.

Also, let Ed Hall know that your cache is a travelling cache. He only downloads the coords once in each cache's lifetime (when it's first posted). If you want it to show up on someone else's map (Washington State), you need to let him know via e-mail when it's re-hidden.

Don't forget to also update Jeremy's hidden date, so it shows up as "new" in the destination area. I also always match Shaggy and Scooby's Difficulty and Terrain to the D/T of the cache in which they're hiding.

BTW - Shaggy and Scooby are APE Bound! Plan on hitting this weekend (can't tonight icon_frown.gif)

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 10 August 2001).]