Cache's Names...

I was wondering what do some of you go thru when you choose a name? do you let a family member pick it out, go by the surroundings, a special meaning... what??? I was sitting here with my next 5 cache's i have yet to hide... and thinking of a cahe name for them... I have where i wanna hide them already picked but I'm coming up stimped on 3 of there names. Any pointers or tips would be helpfull icon_biggrin.gif!!

My cache names have all been based on the location. King Tut's Tomb (now archived) was the nickname of the lava formation where the cache was placed. Ochoco Viewpoint was the name of the park where anouther was placed. Obsidian was named for the natural glass found at its location. Not Quote Powell Butte was named as such because we couldn't place on our desired spot (private land), so we got pretty close instead icon_smile.gif

snazzsig.jpg

Anybody have any suggestions for the name of a night only cache that requires you to follow a trail marked by reflective tape in the woods?

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

[This message was edited by MTBguy on July 18, 2002 at 12:31 PM.]

My names usually have something to do with the cache. For instance, my cache named 'Little Brown Bottle' is in ,uh, a little brown bottle. 'Tie One On' is a theme cache containing tacky neckties. 'Legion of Caches' was a double-play on words. Not only is it a nine-phase multi-cache, but it's also located inside Legion State Park. Be creative. Be original. Be corny if necessary!

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by MTBguy:

Anybody have any suggestions for the name of a night only cache that requires you to follow a trail marked by feflective tape in the woods?

The Mountain Bike Guy.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

....you can count on somebody making it into a challenge by doing it in broad daylight!

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

....you can count on somebody making it into a challenge by doing it in broad daylight!

I actually had that in mind when I was stapling the tape, I was thinking "Where could I put it so that it would be hard to see during the day?" It would still be possable, but very difficlut!

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

Thats great! Hadn't thought of that yet, I may use it! Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Nocturnal Reflections

Nocturnal Luminescence

In the Still of the Night

Afterdark Afterglow

Angle of Incidence (a more obtuse reference to the law of physics where the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection)

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

Hehe. icon_razz.gif .. okay ... maybe I was hinting that she should slow down and get a good idea for what makes a cache good or bad but that does not reflect my opinion on cache placing at all. If she's a creative and energetic person, I'm sure they will all be excellent caches.

I usually use some sort of reference to the location of the cache. I'll name it after the park it's in, or perhaps a nearby historical or geological feature. Other times I'll just make something up out of the blue, or having to do with my experience placing it.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I like to use names that either give a hint about, or are a play on words for, the location of the cache.

Here are a few examples:

LAX (Abbreviation for Leila Aboretum Xpress cache.)

1600 Pennsylvania Ave. (Hidden in the Whitehouse Nature Center)

Cache Me If You Keehne! (Hidden in the Keehne Environmental Area)

Grandmother's House (You have to go over the 'river' and through the woods to get to this cache.)

Baker's Quarter Dozen (A three stage multi-cache hidden in the Baker Sanctuary.)

Ellis Island (A play on "L.S." Island...short for Leroy Schmidt.)

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

sometimes it is nice if a cache is going to be special to place a keyword in the name because it can be looked up that way. For instance if a cache is wheelchair friendly it may want the word wheelchair in the cache name. Or if it is a night cache some word like night or dark could be in the name. I use the keyword feature to look up stuff like that. Sometimes I don't have the location or zip for an area I plan on being in so I just type a keyword in and get a cache in that area.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Are you the forum police?

Yes, I am! Bow before me, or face the wrath of my amazing pessimistic assumptions! icon_biggrin.gif

http://geo.mrsnazz.com/snazzsig.jpg

HEY!

I though I was the only self-appointed forum police! (And you'd better not use the term PHRGS, either!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)