A Reluctant and Worrisome Wife...

CoronaKid

I just started this whole caching thing, and I really enjoy the thrill of the hunt. My problem is that my wife gets paranoid everytime I take the kids on a geocache hunt. She reluctantly lets me go after she lectures me on all the possible dangers of caching. She doesn't want me to even touch the cache because she is afraid that it is a bomb or has some strange disease or chemical. I've tried to reassure her that I'll be careful, but she still seems overly worried.

I understand that it's important to let her know our exact coordinates and to bring all the necessary stuff (water, phone, map, compass, first aid kit, etc), but I just don't know why she is so concerned about the cache itself.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any advice for easing my wife's mind? icon_rolleyes.gif

--CoronaKid

Bring your wife with you on a couple so that she can realize that all the junk in the caches won't hurt you.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

My wife is 1/2 of our caching team and goes with me or I go with her almost every trip. We are careful when we cache to look for strange things that could be possible danger but we don't let the possiblity of harm stop our fun. This is true in most other activities in life, don't you think?

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.

15777_2200.gif

Well, I've never heard of a bomb, disease, etc being planted in a cache! If you don't try to take the kids to find difficult caches that are placed in difficult terrain, everything should be fun and safe. I think your wife is totally over-reacting. Have you taken her along on some hunts? Maybe that would help. I think it would be more dangerous to let your kids go climbing all over playground equipment at the local park(they could fall off, get abducted etc.) than to take them to find basic everyday caches! You could point that out to her. Also, the outdoor experiences are good for the kids!

pokeanim3.gif

I've never heard of a cache being booby-trapped. There's a whole thread devoted to this topic somewhere. Would she rather they sat on their butts and played Carmegeddon? My ex was like that. My son was so frightened by his mother's stupidity that he refused to walk three feet into the wooded area behind the apartment to retrieve a ball.

She's doing them harm by imputing her fears on the kids. They will get hurt growing up, that's life. Geocaching is really one of the safest outdoor activities going. Do they ride bikes? That's the worst, worse even than guns statistically. Most caches are hidden in nature, what’s wrong with nature?

At the minimum, have her sit with you and review all the cache pages as you decide which ones to go after. Once she reads the online logs of all the happy people, neat things left for kids, and sees that many of the caches are in parks, etc. she might change her mind. Maybe she has visions of ramboesque mercenary types (no offense to you ramboesque mercenary types!) suspending booby-trapped caches from precarious cliffs or something!

And MAYBE.... you could convince her to come on a hunt with you! Pack a picnic, make it more about being together in the great outdoors than caching. But careful.... more than ONE man on the forums here has lost his GPSr to his caching-crazy wife after this attempt!

Good luck!

My wife actually loves hiking and I'm hoping that once we all go on a few cache hunts together she'll lighten up a little bit. I was just concerned because I took the kids out for our first hunt and the wife went all nutty on me.

I might have a hard time convincing her to trade, but we'll work her up to that slowly. icon_razz.gif

I'll be sure and let you know how it goes.

--CoronaKid

So it's not that she dislikes the outdoors, she is worried about the cache itself?

I guess you can let her know that no one has ever found a bomb, etc in a cache. I doubt you would contract a disease or illness, too much time passes between leaving things for germs to stay alive. But I suppose you could always rub some anti-bacteria gel on the trade item. Frankly, a person is more likely to get sick from handling money..... lots of germs there!!!! Also, the kids are more likely to get sick and injured from playing with and touching other kids (more germs!)

pokeanim3.gif

Total number of geocaches: fast approaching 50,000.

Number of reported cases where a geocacher has been injured by a booby trapped cache container or intentionally harmful contents: zero.

Now, assume a huge stadium parking lot filled with 50,000 vehicles. Wouldn't it be a safe bet to say that ONE of those vehicles will be involved in a serious collision this year?

I hope she enjoys walking everywhere.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

true, true.... about the money. Germs, etc.

But realistically, no "terrorist" is going to waste their time and powder on a boom-boom that will only take out one to a few people. In fact, you and the kids are probably "safer" at a remote cache than she is at home. icon_biggrin.gif Tell her that and if she buys it, she'll be hooked and you all will get to do plenty of caches together! icon_wink.gif

I'm not sure if it's personal safety (from an assailant) or a booby-trapped cache she's worried about. But booby-trapped caches aren't signed and logged on the cache page by frequent cachers. icon_wink.gif Personal safety is thought of differently by everybody and everybody has their own way of protecting themselves, whether it be actual weaponry or just "not going" where there is an increased probability of harm.

Cover these issues with her, and hopefully she'll get on board that driving there is a much greater risk to you/the children than actually getting out and finding the cache. It's important that the better half be "cool" with ya going out caching so you don't have to hear the griping on the home front. icon_wink.gif Good luck.

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

A couple of suggestions, first stop letting your wife watch so much television, especially the local news. Based on their story lead-ins we'd should already be dead of something. icon_biggrin.gif

As someone above suggested, filter through the local caches and look for ones in parks you both know, are low on the difficulty scale, and even look for the comments of your local regulars. If there's any question you can go out and find the cache and then if it's OK, don't tell the kids and come back letting them find it. If you take the time to e-mail one of the local regulars if you have a questionable one, they will probably be more helpful then you expect.

Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaKid:

She reluctantly lets me go after she lectures me on all the possible dangers of caching. She doesn't want me to even touch the cache because she is afraid that it is a bomb or has some strange disease or chemical.

--CoronaKid

Almost sounds like Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I know someone with OCD, and it's a terrible disease. As long as it's just caches she's worried about, consider yourself lucky, some people actually worry like that about everything.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

If its not OCD or some other serious problem, try getting the kids on your side. Your wife might be more inclined to go on a cache hunt with you and the kids if the kids asked her to go. I wouldn't go beyond this with the kids, but if she sees how much fun you and the kids are having, she will likely lighten up. She might even fight you for the GPS unit on the next hunt.

This is a great family activity. I would steer away from dangerous terrain with kids as was mentioned earlier, but otherwise, its alot of fun for the little ones.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

......I suppose you could always rub some anti-bacteria gel on the trade item. Frankly, a person is more likely to get sick from handling money..... lots of germs there!!!!

This is very true, so many germs everywhere.... *ick* We always carry a big bottle of anti-bacterial gel when we're caching. As soon as we finish handling the cache, we clean our hands and our trade items (if we traded and if the items are gel-proof icon_wink.gif ). So far, so good....

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

...But I take my kids anyway. Out there in the woods we've come into conact with dangerous plants (poison ivy, thorns), dangerous animals (yellow jackets, skeeters), dangerous situations (back roads, cold weather boating), and well, you get the picture.

The kids love it. My wife even enjoys it, too. Caching gives us a reason to go somewhere, it makes the trip interesting all the while teaching the kids (and the wife) about navigation, planning, the outdoors, and ethics (e.g. trade-up!), and safety. Because we try to be good parents we keep it safe as possible by carrying first aid kits in our packs, first aid training in our heads, wear our seatbelts, our PFDs, identify and avoid dangerous plants and animals, and generally being watchful for dangerous situations.

I can't think of a better way for you to spend an afternoon with your kids. My wife won't *let* me go caching *without* my kids in tow. She recognizes how good it is for them and me.

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

......I suppose you could always rub some anti-bacteria gel on the trade item. Frankly, a person is more likely to get sick from handling money..... lots of germs there!!!!

This is very true, so many germs everywhere.... *ick* We always carry a big bottle of anti-bacterial gel when we're caching. As soon as we finish handling the cache, we clean our hands and our trade items (if we traded and if the items are gel-proof icon_wink.gif ). So far, so good....

I have a different take on germs. I don't worry about them. So far, so good.... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Odds of something happening are higher by staying home. We have 3 boys ages 9-15. Our friends all joke around that we have our own coffee cups at the emergency room. broken collar bones from bike riding, broken wrists from roller blading, stitches above eye from playing hockey with rocks, stitches across forehead from jumping from top of couch then landing on your butt on the cushions and seeing how far it will propel you across the room. Not to mention football injuries....blah blah blah. Welcome to the world of boys!

Number of accidents we've had so far in the woods?......zero!

Chances are, if your wife loves to hike, she'll be hooked on the first one. Geocaching is like Heroine.......try it once and you're a junky. icon_biggrin.gif

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaKid:

My problem is that my wife gets paranoid everytime I take the kids on a geocache hunt. She reluctantly lets me go after she lectures me on all the possible dangers of caching. She doesn't want me to even touch the cache because she is afraid that it is a bomb or has some strange disease or chemical. I've tried to reassure her that I'll be careful, but she still seems overly worried.

Someone might have left an AOL CD in one! If you put it in your computer the virus will be unleashed. Beware of these otherwise innocuous-looking coasters/mini-frisbees.

Well you have a foot, if you do then its time

to put it down and draw some lines in the sand. icon_rolleyes.gif

Take the kids anyway, be nice but use a cold shoulder. Stick to your principles.

Take her on several nice Caches, then eat Humble Pie at the local Mall. icon_razz.gif

If you really want to freak her out take her on this Cache.http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43977

icon_eek.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

Your wife is paranoid because WE'RE UNDER TERRORISM ALERTS. Arrrrrrrrgggggggggg! Run for cover!

She's letting it affect her life, so in essence, the terrorists win.

Tell her that the Geocaching community is far too small to be a terrorist target. Remember, they want exposure to the widest possible audience, so they want to make a BIG splash.

Wow, that's sounding more and more like the "We made a clone, but you can't see her! nanny, nanny, booboo!" freakos.

Another idea is to borrow a couple of books from the library for her. They are both by Gavin de Becker. "The Gift of Fear" and "Protecting the Gift." de Becker is the head of a corporation that protects high-profile people. He has studied crimes against people for many years, including crimes against children. He has a compelling and interesting style. I think your wife will be glad she read the books.

One thing she will learn from the books is how low the actual risk your children are in from other people when you're out Geocaching, which might be useful.

I don't worry about my kids being harmed by another Geocacher. I worry about them driving another Geocacher bananas, particularly at the picnics, but that's a different matter entirely. icon_smile.gif

I also agree with those who have suggested you take her with you. I'm a mom, and my perspective has changed since I've been taking my kids caching. On some things they have a shorter leash, and on others they have a longer leash, but it's all based on experience, not conjecture.

Shannah

What....?

We must be exposed to germs to be healthy, else we would have no immune system. The the first strong bacteria/virus to come along would take us off the geocaching list for ever.

I have met the nicest people geocaching than anywhere else. ... even church

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

His wife is falling victim to the same paranoia that many land managers are. The requirement of clear containers foisted upon us by many agencies is proof of this.

In reality (OK I've said this in other threads) there are over 40,000 caches out there. Figure, conservatively, 10 finds per cache. That's nearly a half million finds without a known instance of a booby trapped geocache. You're more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to the cache.

I read in today's local paper that a 10 year old boy died while skiing with his father at Mountain Creek (here in NJ). According to witnesses, he was skiing very slowly on a green trail (and green trails here are very flat) and wearing a helmet. He simply fell. Didn't hit a tree. Wasn't creamed by another skier, he wasn't out of control. He just fell and died.

When it's yer time, its yer time. I'll take my chances with Geocaches.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

LOL, my wife has finally came to the conclusion she is never getting that insurance money. I am too stubborn to die or listen.

I did get talked to icon_biggrin.gif for going out in the middle of no where, after dark, to go caching with someone I had never met before. LOL. Yeah well if you don't talk to strangers then how do you make friends. Too many people live their lives all worked up and scared. Me I know that I will not go until my time to go, and when it is time there is not a thing I can do to stop it no matter what I am doing. So by golly I will have my happy ars right out there in the woods looking for that next cache. I have been in some really uncomfortable places and through some uncomfortable times, but I love the woods and I enjoy geocaching. Actually I am more scared to go to the grocery store than the middle of no where after dark with a stranger. LOL I am a big boy now and I don't have but one boss.

What.... yes dear. LOL.

Really, I have talked to a bunch of cachers in my short time on these boards and all seem to be really nice people and the rules behind the cache sites are very clearly stated that they are to be child proof. I don't believe that anyone here would ever do anything to get another cacher hurt. There are sick people out there in the World, but all of them eat (grocery store) not all of the cache. LOL

Stay happy and give the wifey a chill pill. icon_wink.gif

The Important Things Are Always Simple and The Simple Things Are Always Hard.

<>

Okay. Here’s what you need to do.

Late one night, after your wife is asleep, you need to very carefully pick the lock on her bedside table. Next, very, very quietly, slide open that cursed drawer, remove your genitalia, and return it to its rightful position. Once you’ve accomplished this task, your other problems will seem more manageable.

I've been going in circles my whole life. May as well make a hobby of it.

ROTFLMAO Aristocracker!!! I know that was probably "ultra offensive" to one cause or another, but I thought that was hilarious. I had a friend who did just what you suggested after years of being a doormat... his wife stood there like an overthrown dictator... That actually probably saved their marriage.

Anyway, a good laugh is always enjoyable - and I did a double-take on that one! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

The reply from Criminal really hit home. I have been afraid of every milestone during our caching. Hubby going on; hunts with strangers, out of town hunts with strangers, My first impulse is always to say no, it's too dangerous. Then he always says, "You're right, I'm being silly." then I change my mind and give in. He's had LOTS of years of practice dealing with me and knows what works. I just need that initial panicking time (to get used to the idea) then I'm ok.

It took me 9 months to go on my first hunt by myself. I've learned to let the kids do and experience so much more than I ever thought I would, due to caching. It's been great medicine for me! icon_biggrin.gif

Take her on a hunt, she'll see everythings ok. then she'll realize how uncomfortable it is to be WAY too covered up (and hot in the summer) and things will be peachy. I hope.

I hope I haven't gotten this thread mixed up with the markwelled one. ( Good Call Jamie Z )

ntga_button.gif

get her to go with you.

or get a new wife. icon_wink.gif

And Mountain Mudbug, it is the anti-bacterial products that are helping us lose the battle against bacteria. These products are making bacteria more resistant. They get in the water supply too (dish soaps etc...) Don't use them. Don't worry so much. If my hands get dirty, I can wash them in a stream, or in the snow. If you think your hands are dirty and can't get to water, just don't touch your face, nose, mouth until you can. Carry baby wipes, just not the anti-bacterial kind.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"