Profanity in Log Entries!?!

KXMc

Hi all,

I went to my 3rd and 4th ever caches today, and noticed something disturbing... There was one entry in each log book that contained profanity. Just curious if this is normal, or if I should take any action in the future if I find this. icon_confused.gif One of the logs was not of a find really at all, but more of a taunt. The 2 caches were: GC323B & GC2C01. Thanks for reading, and for any helpful hints...

KXMc

Fly the friendly skies of the C-5... Club Fred Rules!

It's all a matter of style. I tend to swear and tend to think I should do it less. My writing though doesn't use much swearing in it at all. On the other hand, non swear words that are code for swearing used by people who don't swear are more annoying and stand out more than if they would just break down and use the real word for what they clearly intend. Logs are the cache owners business. They are either intrested enough to read the logs, or they don't care. In either case if you read swear words they have either accepted the log as is, or they don't care.

Thanks for the replies. I have emailed the cache owners, so they can take any action they feel necessary. I am not worried about the profanity for myself, but know there are many people who hunt with their children. I have also seen log entries made by children. I would assume that parents/guardians of these younger cachers wouldn't want them reading random profanity while logging their finds...

KXMc

I remember when those who frequently used profanity were looked upon as being vulgar low brow individuals, now it seems everyone wants to sound like they were raised by hell's angels or something. Still it is one thing to let some coarse words slip out durring a conversation but it is quite another to take the time to spell out some profanity in a post, that really speaks volumes about an individuals class....oh and as my grandfather used to say, class isn't a matter of how much money you have, it's a matter of how much character you have. Character seems to be in short supply these days.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by Pote:

...the public comes in...

Some kids plundered one of my caches last year. I went back to the site to pick up the trash and recover the container and found a nice little note from the hooligans. It was ripe with four letter words.

The concept of profanity baffles me. Fortunately or un, i've worked as a landscaper and in a warehouse. There was this one fellow who wouldn't listen to you if you didn't use 'f*ck' enough! The word quickly lost all meaning in that environment. My current job it's much more of a no-no, and I do my best to honor that. I don't get it though. It's just a word. The only power words have is what you give to them! If you are offended by something as inoccuous as a short series of sounds, that sounds like it's your choice, and thus problem, to me. How was it used? If the word is used with no anger/hatred behind it, it really doesn't have any power/meaning.

King Pellinore

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

The concept of profanity baffles me. Fortunately or un, i've worked as a landscaper and in a warehouse. There was this one fellow who wouldn't listen to you if you didn't use 'f*ck' enough! The word quickly lost all meaning in that environment. My current job it's much more of a no-no, and I do my best to honor that. I don't get it though. It's just a word. The only power words have is what you give to them! If you are offended by something as inoccuous as a short series of sounds, that sounds like it's your choice, and thus problem, to me. How was it used? If the word is used with no anger/hatred behind it, it really doesn't have any power/meaning.

King Pellinore

First of all, try saying the infamous "N" word around any black American even if you have no racist intent or even any anger and tell me it's no big deal. Words mean things, the language we use says a lot about ourselves, and our character. If you were at the hospital being treated by a doctor, and he came in using a swear word every other word, and every slang word for any part of the body he was examining, would you be inclined to trust him with your life, or would you want proof he was really a doctor? Words mean things, and they say a lot about a person.

I don't understand why it is that our society has become so vulgar. I used to swear a lot myself when I was a teenager, an awful lot, but only around my friends who also swore up and down. I didn't swear around my folks, especially not around my grandparents, I also didn't swear in conversation with strangers or customers at work (or in earshot of customers at work). Still as I grew up, I quit such juvinile behavior almost completely. Sure occasionally $hit slips out when I slam my finger in a door or get a big scare, but I immediately feel self concious and stupid for saying it, old habits die hard....but with effort, they will die out completely one day I'm sure. What ever happened to standards of polite society? What ever happened to polite society period? Now I can't go anywhere without seeing someone wearing a shirt with vulgarity on it, or a bumper sticker, I can't walk down the sidewalk with my little children without them being exposed to all kinds of vulgarity from others having casual conversations in public. People don't even seem to care about swearing around thier kids or other's kids anymore. Society has become harsh, vulgar, ugly, and everyone wants to flaunt thier ugly language, ugly behavior, and call it thier right. Well look around people, how people talk, and how people act in public is a barometer of what's going on in private, where things are probably even worse, and if you don't believe me, turn to your almanac, look up crime statistics, look at entertainment and other social indicaters of 30 years ago, and compare them all today. As vulgar language, coarse behavior, and other ugliness has become more open and more acceptable other levels of nastyness have also been on the rise, more kids killing kids, more rape,more child abuse, more drug abuse, more drop outs, more teen pregnancy, more vandalism, and on and on. All I'm asking, is what happened to polite society? The problems with vulgarity are just a scratch on the surface, but they are an indicator of our overall societal decay. Call me a nut, but those are my thoughts on the matter.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

If you are offended by something as inoccuous as a short series of sounds, that sounds like it's your choice, and thus problem, to me.

Again, I couldn't care less what words you use to me. The point of this thread is whether this is normal to see (as I'm a newbie), and my worry of other peoples children being exposed to this... Big difference whether I'm offended, and what a persons child is exposed to...

KXMc

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

FFirst of all, try saying the infamous "N" word around any black American even if you have no racist intent or even any anger and tell me it's no big deal. Words mean things, the language we use says a lot about ourselves, and our character. If you were at the hospital being treated by a doctor, and he came in using a swear word every other word, and every slang word for any part of the body he was examining, would you be inclined to trust him with your life, or would you want proof he was really a doctor? Words mean things, and they say a lot about a person.

I don't understand why it is that our society has become so vulgar. I used to swear a lot myself when I was a teenager, an awful lot, but only around my friends who also swore up and down. I didn't swear around my folks, especially not around my grandparents, I also didn't swear in conversation with strangers or customers at work (or in earshot of customers at work). Still as I grew up, I quit such juvinile behavior almost completely. Sure occasionally $hit slips out when I slam my finger in a door or get a big scare, but I immediately feel self concious and stupid for saying it, old habits die hard....but with effort, they will die out completely one day I'm sure. What ever happened to standards of polite society? What ever happened to polite society period? Now I can't go anywhere without seeing someone wearing a shirt with vulgarity on it, or a bumper sticker, I can't walk down the sidewalk with my little children without them being exposed to all kinds of vulgarity from others having casual conversations in public. People don't even seem to care about swearing around thier kids or other's kids anymore. Society has become harsh, vulgar, ugly, and everyone wants to flaunt thier ugly language, ugly behavior, and call it thier right. Well look around people, how people talk, and how people act in public is a barometer of what's going on in private, where things are probably even worse, and if you don't believe me, turn to your almanac, look up crime statistics, look at entertainment and other social indicaters of 30 years ago, and compare them all today. As vulgar language, coarse behavior, and other ugliness has become more open and more acceptable other levels of nastyness have also been on the rise, more kids killing kids, more rape,more child abuse, more drug abuse, more drop outs, more teen pregnancy, more vandalism, and on and on. All I'm asking, is what happened to polite society? The problems with vulgarity are just a scratch on the surface, but they are an indicator of our overall societal decay. Call me a nut, but those are my thoughts on the matter.

Amen to that..

Is it just me, or did anyone else start to see these kind of problems shortly after the popularity of things like Day Care, two income families, divorce, time outs instead of spankings, rap music, MTV, Snowboards(sorry, I couldn't resist), video games, etc. etc.? I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for this, but I wonder how many people actually sit down to a family dinner every night like we did when I was a kid.

Personally I think that profanity shows how ignorant a person is and a lack of respect for others.

quote:
Originally posted by KXMc:

Just curious if this is normal, or if I should take any action in the future if I find this.

__

I had one plundered by some type of offensive words (according to the next cache visitor) & he emailed me saying he'd torn the page out. I was very grateful. This isn't the place for it.

Some people just need to use a little common sense.

I think it's only okay to use curse-words if you REALLY mean it. If you say them all the time, then it turns into a kind of "boy who cried wolf" thing.

I did once rip a page out of a physical logbook because it all it said was "f*** yuo pigs" (my astericks). i guess i should've left it there for the cache owner to decide what to do with it.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by niskibum:

...did anyone else start to see these kind of problems shortly after the popularity of things like Day Care, two income families, divorce, time outs instead of spankings, rap music, MTV, Snowboards(sorry, I couldn't resist), video games, etc. etc.? ...how many people actually sit down to a family dinner every night like we did when I was a kid.

Niski...

I'd like to agree with this, but I'm afraid it's not an accurate observation, although it appears that way from the perspective of one person. People have written about the the decline of society for centuries. This is not a new phenomenon. Every generation thinks the next generation has gone to pot. If that were actually the case, humanity would now be something akin to "Escape from L.A."

Obviously, things change. Earth's increasing population and increasing ability to communicate and travel have shaken things up little by little as technology increases, generating new problems. Overall, though, I think things are (generally) how they've always been, and they will always be--just different.

Jamie

I seem to remember from history class something about how society tends to swing back and forth like a pendulum-sometimes being more tolerant and sometimes prudish, so I guess what I meant to say was that this latest swing seems to have been started in great deal by the break up of the nuclear family along with a few other things. However, I don't ever recall the extremes that we are seeing at this point until you go back to Sodom and Gamora(spelling?) unless it is just more apparent due to the media coverage we have now. In any case I am sorry to have taken this thread off its original course, my aplogies.

Wow it sounds like many folks have some pretty fragile children. My recomendation is maybe YOU read the logbook first and if it contains anything you don't want them to read, then either you read the log to them or just don't let them read it. It's not that difficult really and chances are, if they are old enough to go romping through the woods, more than likely they have already heard the words at school, from their parents or on television. I am in total support of protecting your kids, they learn way too much at a much too early age. I just think that since you are there supervising them, which I applaud, just make sure they don't read it first. icon_smile.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

I'm generally not troubled by cursing, but I certainly wouldn't write it in a logbook. Or anywhere else for that matter. If I found a log entry with expletives, I would cross out the words to the point they were illegible. If somebody finds an inappropriate log in one of my caches, I hope they would do the same.

rdw

Originally posted by EraSeek:

"What ever happened to standards of polite society?"

They are kept alive by those like RAD Dad. Thumbs up, and thanks!

I agree. I have not cronologically been a child for quite a while and I personally would not care to read something that sounded like a Richard Pryor concert. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys