Need your opinion - Steps vs Paces

Big E

Starting with your right foot, a pace is counted everytime your left foot hits the deck, So it is two steps. Walk a 100 meter flat straight course to get your pace count. Then walk a 100 meter rough terrain course to get your rough pace count. You need to know them both because you never know where you'll be going. My rough pace count is 85.

Although the original definition of a pace was two steps, I think most cachers would interpret the meaning to be one-step, as that is generally the currently accepted definition. I have always done measurements by walking of my paces by measuring each step as one pace. On level ground I have developed a sense of pacing that allows me to measure each pace as three feet. This make it easy to quantify distances.

moon3-1.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Navdog:

Although the original definition of a pace was two steps, I think most cachers would interpret the meaning to be one-step, as that is generally the currently accepted definition. I have always done measurements by walking of my paces by measuring each step as one pace. On level ground I have developed a sense of pacing that allows me to measure each pace as three feet. This make it easy to quantify distances.

http://www.moondog3.com

Just did a box up by Monroe, Washington. The final bit required 15 paces...I went with the one step/one pace definition and there was the ammo box!

yes, the official def is 2 steps/pace, but in general, when dealing with geocaching, the person probably means one step/pace. I got screwed up last summer doing Donman007's cache pby franklin Falls with the official definition...wasn't till after two hours of searching, I decided to see if it was just one step per pace and there was the peanut butter jar hide!

Like making sure you say "magnetic" when compass bearing, it is equally important for clue givers to define "pace" as how many footfalls and to have a calibration leg.

From as a kid, I always thought a pace was the same as a step which is a footfall. But being from the South all soda were called "Coke," as well. Whenever I saw someone "pace off" a length of ground they counted each footfall. Then as I get older, and especially when I started LBing, I started hearing "pace" of every left foot fall.

Not everyone has the same background so their thinking might be different than yours. Most certainly, everyone's stride is slightly different. By putting in a calibration leg--"from the sign it's 85 paces to the oak tree at 315ºm"--thus you define what a "pace" is and let the hunter know if you've got a longer or shorter stride than him or her.

If there isn't a calibration leg or out-and-out saying what they were thinking a "pace" is, you're pretty much on your own. I'd count footfalls and then if you can't find it, continue on the same number of footfalls.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Big E:

Does one pace equal one step?

I have various opinions on this; do you have one? Please list your reference or source. Many Thanks

It doesn't appear that this question will be answered here. The distance of a pace seems funny, considering all the forum space taken up on the accuracy of GPS. I don't have a GPSr, so I've worked out a method that works well for me. I convert all distances needed to feet, and feet to yards. One of my steps is about 18 inches. That means one of my paces is one yard. The yard concept is easy for me to visualize. The 100 yd distance is familiar to many from shooting and football. frog.gif

It's a personal thing -- pacing is a way for you to measure distances.

Paces/steps vary from person to person.

I once did a cache and the instructions were 'go 80 paces from the trail intersection" -- I tried on 3 different occasions to find the cache but couldn't. I e-mailed the cache owner and the reply I got was "sounds like it's closer from where you are looking, my wife placed it so try using women's paces". The cache was located about a third of the way from where I was looking.

Please people, when placing caches, DON'T USE PACES AS A MEASUREMENT. Instead, use real measurements. Feet, yards, meters -- these are real measurements of distance.

If you want to learn how to measure distances using paces (a very useful caching skill), try reading the first section of this page:

RANGER JACK'S MATH (metric users, use 15 meters instead of 50 feet).

In answer to your question: "Does one pace equal one step?", in the context of roughly measuring distances, I have always thought those words were interchangeable synonyms (1 step = 1 pace). The Cambridge online dictionary (here) agrees with me, but Dictionary.com (here) recogonizes that the term “pace” can mean both one OR two steps. (Or 30 inches or 5 feet!)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Surveying:THEORY AND PRACTICE.

Davis,Foote & Kelly.

Methods of Measurement.

7-2.PACING.Pacing furnishes a rapid means of approximately checking more precise measurements of distance,used in recconnaissance surveys,and in small scale mapping.Pacing = to a precision of 1/200;under average conditions.or 1/100 in optimal conditions.

Natural Pace=(about 2 3/4 ft.),a 2 1/2 or 3 ft. pace may be employed.,the authors favor 2 1/2 ft..Since it is a little less than the natural step,allowance can be made for unlevel ground.

40 paces = 100ft.

Each 2 paces is called a stride,thus a stride would be 5 ft. or there would roughly be 1,000 strides to 1 mile.

Paces or strides are usally controlled by means of a tally register operated by hand or by means of a pedometer which is attached to the leg.In hilly areas,rough correction can be made for slope.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com