Prepping For A Cache Hunt

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

Just curious what you all do.

Me, it's pretty straightforward.

At the caches on the website I print out the page sans log entries, then print out the Mapblast page at an appropriate size, staple together, and put in my caching backpack. Basic tools include my Garmin eTrex, a small compass, a digital camera, extra batteries (those rechargeable ones don't seem to hold their charge for long), a pen to work the cheater clue if it's too hard, and a bottle of water.

Oh, and my geocaching hat for those hot days under the sun. Preferred clothes are loose cotton shirt, shorts, and my Chaco hiking sandals, though I'm fast finding I would prefer a good pair of hiking boots for the bushwacking occasionally required.

I usually always grab any local maps available at the site.

How 'bout chall?

Here's my routine...

I read the coordinates and the description of a cache to see if I'm interested. I never read down the page to the logs or hints though. I then decrypt the hints and print out the page without looking.

I put the printed out cache page, trade items for the cache, and batteries into my Camelbak.

I'll then enter the cache coordinates (and trailhead coordinates if given) into my eTrex and set it to GoTo for navigation.

Since I'm new to this and have only "cached" in my local area, I use ADC street maps to get a general idea of where the area is located and plan my route (I don't really trust the accuracy of MapBlast although I'm sure it's correct most of the time).

At this point I gather my wife and kids and the following items and head to the truck:

GPS - Garmin eTrex Vista

Digital Camera - Kodak DC4800

Water/Inventory Storage - Camelbak M.U.L.E.

Map - ADC Countywide street map

Other - Hat, sunglasses if necessary.

What I have neglected to bring and need to add to the routine: a good pair of hiking boots (sneakers just don't cut it) and bug spray! (got really bit up last time out)

-exConn

Guest Markwell
  • Scope out (almost daily) for new caches in my area
  • Enter new ones into my own database that tracks distance and bearing from my home and links to several mapping systems on the web
  • Print off page of prospective cache(s) in "Cheat" mode, tape slip of paper coving up cheats
  • Print map blast maps in various zooms and topo map
  • Grab prepacked backpack, water, hiking boots, Geohat and son (with his Geohat)
  • Sit in driveway, and remember to load coords (and coords for parking) into eTrex
Guest bunkerdave

I have been caching since April, and during that time my process has evolved somewhat. I started out just printing off the postings and putting the data in my GPS. That quickly got old, however, and I began using my Mapsend software to input the coords for the caches I wanted to hunt, and printing out the listing. It then occurred to me that I was wasting a lot of paper, and even more printer toner, so I went paperless, and began copying cache postings, logs and all, into my Palm 3c. I must have over 300 listings in there now. I used to try and keep up my waypoints on my GPS, but now I just do it on the Palm. I set up a category in the MemoPad for "Unfound caches" and another for "found caches" It sorts alphabetically, but in searching for nearest caches, I just go to the website and see what is closest, and if there are any newer ones, which I will then put in the Palm as well. As far as sorting by proximity, I still can input Cache coords during "bored" meetings and such, and once a cache's coords are in the GPS, it sorts them automatically by proximity to current position or any city I choose.

The best thing about this system is the "paperless-ness." And always having the cache listings handy. My percentage of successful hunts would be MUCH lower without the Palm, no doubt. I also used AvantGo to download the Cache listings, but it proved to be a bit of a RAM pig, so I quit using it. The Palm MemoPad is quite easy to use and reliable, and automatically saves the database on my PC, in case anything were ever to happen to my Palm.

Hmmmm... I am new enough to this that I don't have a "system" down yet. I do seem to spend quite some time in research mode though. I pay close attention to the cache description and logs. Many times the logs indicate the cache has been trashed or is missing. If the hiding spot is rural, I consult a topo map to get an idea of terrain.

I usually take with me the GPS, compass, and water if there is any distance to the hike.

Do not yet have a digital camera or I would definitely take one.

All the above, EXCEPT I substitute long pants for shorts no matter how hot it is. Also since I got a terrible case of chiggers, I take a can of repellant for clothing, as well as my 100% DEET bug lotion. And if I am going into a rugged or swampy area, my 9 shot long-barrelled 22 cal pistol with plastic bullets for snakes and rats.

I'm very new to this but I also use a "paperless" method. I use EasyGPS to load the coordinates for the caches I'm interested in finding into my eMap and a free program called Avantgo to load the entire web page - logs and all - for the closest 50 caches to my house into my palm pilot.

Gotta get me a camelbak, though. I usually have 2 teenage sons with me that are my pack mules but a camel pack will come in handy when going solo. Made the mistake of going out once without water and thought I'd die before I got back. (Being 40, 300 lbs, having bad knees, and it being very hot and humid that day all took it's toll) That's when I saw a camel backpack for the first time and decided than that I had to have one.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Enter new ones into my own database that tracks distance and bearing from my home and links to several mapping systems on the web

Yes, I've been thinking about the best way to do this. Can you expound on this at all? Is the database you use homebrewed or do you use something readily available? And what mapping systems are you utilizing? I was thinking about using mapping software, but are there decent web based solutions?

-exConn

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 07 September 2001).]

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by exConn:

I've been thinking about the best way to do this. Can you expound on this at all? Is the database you use homebrewed or do you use something readily available? And what mapping systems are you utilizing? I was thinking about using mapping software, but are there decent web based solutions?

I'm a Microsoft Access Geek at work (and at play). So a while back I created a simple database to keep track of the caches near me. Through "creeping featurism" this database has become incredibly complex, including a separate list of fixed locations and their lat/lon (Interstate intersections, etc.) that I can readily visualize in my immediate area. Once I input the Lat/Lon of a cache, the database calculates the bearing and distance to each of these fixed locations and displays them in a subform of the main display.

I also used a query to concatenate the lat/lon and desired zoom to give me a url that displays a cache's spot on a 600x800 map from Mapblast. In other words, I take the coords from a cache (example: Hobo's Hideaway at N 41° 42.084 W 088° 20.826) and the system generates a url that I can copy and paste onto IE to give me various standard zooms:

State Zoom

Regional Zoom

County Zoom

all the way down to a Street Level Zoom. I can then right click and save these images as GIF files on my hard drive, printing them out as part of a Powerpoint presentation at a later time.

The database can also do a radial search based on the fixed locations (I can find the closest active cache to the intersection of I-80 and I-55 - Mission 12: Blind Canal is 7.21 miles, bearing 201°, SSW). I can also do a criteria search (caches within 20 miles of my home that I have not found that are close to my home with a level 3 or less terrain - 3.0: Hobo's Hideaway, Fossilized Cache and Prairie View Cache).

Not to pat myself too hard on the back, so far there hasn't been a feature that I've conceived of that I haven't been able to implement into this database. The only problem is that I have to monitor the existing caches in my area to make sure that none are archived (once archived I have a check box on my database) and I have to watch for new ones.

Admittedly, it was an awful lot of work initially, but now I just sit back and watch for new caches or caches to archive. If Jeremy just would have implemented a more robust search engine for the caches, I wouldn't have had to do all the work for myself icon_wink.gif)

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by exConn:

I've been thinking about the best way to do this. Can you expound on this at all? Is the database you use homebrewed or do you use something readily available? And what mapping systems are you utilizing? I was thinking about using mapping software, but are there decent web based solutions?

I'm a Microsoft Access Geek at work (and at play). So a while back I created a simple database to keep track of the caches near me. Through "creeping featurism" this database has become incredibly complex, including a separate list of fixed locations and their lat/lon (Interstate intersections, etc.) that I can readily visualize in my immediate area. Once I input the Lat/Lon of a cache, the database calculates the bearing and distance to each of these fixed locations and displays them in a subform of the main display.

I also used a query to concatenate the lat/lon and desired zoom to give me a url that displays a cache's spot on a 600x800 map from Mapblast. In other words, I take the coords from a cache (example: Hobo's Hideaway at N 41° 42.084 W 088° 20.826) and the system generates a url that I can copy and paste onto IE to give me various standard zooms:

State Zoom

Regional Zoom

County Zoom

all the way down to a Street Level Zoom. I can then right click and save these images as GIF files on my hard drive, printing them out as part of a Powerpoint presentation at a later time.

The database can also do a radial search based on the fixed locations (I can find the closest active cache to the intersection of I-80 and I-55 - Mission 12: Blind Canal is 7.21 miles, bearing 201°, SSW). I can also do a criteria search (caches within 20 miles of my home that I have not found that are close to my home with a level 3 or less terrain - 3.0: Hobo's Hideaway, Fossilized Cache and Prairie View Cache).

Not to pat myself too hard on the back, so far there hasn't been a feature that I've conceived of that I haven't been able to implement into this database. The only problem is that I have to monitor the existing caches in my area to make sure that none are archived (once archived I have a check box on my database) and I have to watch for new ones.

Admittedly, it was an awful lot of work initially, but now I just sit back and watch for new caches or caches to archive. If Jeremy just would have implemented a more robust search engine for the caches, I wouldn't have had to do all the work for myself icon_wink.gif)

l it scrolled up on the gps as I was on my way elsewhere. You can't count on finding a cache without reading the listing however; I try to take the printed listing with me. In my part of the country, you can often skip the bug repellent, but sometimes need a tide table. I always take a pack, but the contents vary. Been known to cary at various times: first aid Kit, compass, flashlight, camera, warm clothes, swimming trunks, batteries, cache items, Pencil & paper, cell phone, trash bags, ziploc bags, FRS radios, food, water, gloves, and books.

Sometimes, you don't need any of it. Sometimes the research clues you in on what to bring or not bring.

The method I use has evolved considerably since I started. Here?s what I do now. Please note that the caches in my area are spread out over many miles and proper preparation is essential. In fact the last three hunts were 294 miles (4 caches), 424 miles (2 caches) and 307 miles (2 caches).

I check the listings daily (or nearly daily). When I find a likely candidate, I print it out and place it in my Geocaches Waiting book (hereafter referred to as ?the book?. I have the cache printouts separated by tabbed pages with the Waypoint and distance on the tab (white label) the pages are arranged by distance from home. I usually print out the street map from the MapBlast link at a scale that shows me the general area it is in. I then slap a ?Cache Hunt Notes? page behind it and there it sits until I do the SERIOUS research needed to hunt it.

When I get time, I choose the most likely candidate (usually the closest cache) and start researching. I go back to MapBlast and print out as many scales as are useful. Sometimes this is none and sometimes it is three or four. If it is in WA, I use MapTech to print out (mighty fine) topo maps. (With checkpoints and routes, if needed, more about this later). If it isn?t in WA, I print out (barely useful) topo maps from TopoZone. In many cases I scan the applicable area from a Triple-A road map or the Atlas & Gazetteer. Now, here is the new part?. I use USA PhotoMaps to produce a new Satellite Photo map file of the area. I then study this photomap and determine how to approach the cache (a life saver in the case of logscaler?s ?One Way? cache). I mark the proper approach with waypoints created on the satellite photo (don?t know the coordinates, don?t care about the coordinates). I then download these waypoints to my GPSR and convert them to a route. If the cache is in WA, I upload the route into the MapTech topo map (usually at a large scale) and place them in the book in a section that is for the current hunt routes. Sometimes, I even get on the Internet and look up anything I can find about where we are going, this really adds to the enjoyment. I print out and place in the book any info I would like to take on the hunt. At this time I take a yellow highlighter and color the tab. The yellow tab signifies that the cache is ready to hunt.

On the night before the hunt (our hunts start at 07:30 sharp), I pack the famous black backpack with all the necessities for the hunt based on the research. I?ll not go into any detail there, I think we all do about the same thing.

On the hunt, Sugar acts as navigator (notice she doesn?t care for the research part). She opens the book to the routes pages and helps me find my way to the general area. Once in the area we use the routes loaded in the GPSR, the topo maps, and the satellite photos to find the cache. She logs everything that happens on the ?Cache Hunt Notes? pages.

When we get home (usually after dark), I take the info Sugar logged and use it to create the virtual log on geocaching.com. Then, I move the ?just hunted? caches into a Caches Found Book and the process begins again.

- - Sluggo

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I do the good hiking stuff, make sure I can do a night or 2. Water and a bit of xtra chow is cool, local discount has MREs, might buy a 12 pack. Now to get serious....

PAPERLESS ? Get a clue !. GPS is NOT a primary means of navigation. I'm a licensed Captain, I move boats for rich,fat,lazy owners... I won't move a boat until I have propper, up-to-date charts. I have chartplotters tied in with radar,sonar, etc.

I still have a paper chart. and a hand-held compass when you lose power.

Ozzy-Boxes are great, but you better have a clue beforehand.

My rant.....

Pick the cache we want to hunt (like the challenging ones) print the coordinates, etc...I bought a palm recently and was just reading about the software to link it to the GPS...hmmmmmmm...

We don't peek at the cheats, we do like most here and decrypt and print without looking. Seal them up and pack 'em away for if we get desparate.

We bring the obvious. At least for us it is, we make a day of it.

GPS

Road maps to find starting point (have found Mapblast to be a bit unreliable though)

Check out what else is going on in the area (found a food fest/live music, etc)

Compass

Camera

Binoculars

Water for us and Dogs

beer (maybe not so obvious)

bug spray

snacks

trash bag

bottle opener

leishes

dog treats

sunglasses

hat

sweatshirt (if chilly)

T-paper (reality man)

handi wipes

ID

$$

Pack up the husband, dogs, and any friends that want to tag along and head out for an adventure!

What do we leave?

Other than the trade in the cache contents,

just our footprints and all the stress from the work week. Love this sport icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Caching All!

Maxxer (aka - Onamission)

P.S. Oops! Almost forgot to mention packing the cache prizes! We keep a variety bag with us and decide what to leave based on the theme/contents already in the cache.

[This message has been edited by maxxer (edited 08 September 2001).]

Pick the cache we want to hunt (like the challenging ones) print the coordinates, etc...I bought a palm recently and was just reading about the software to link it to the GPS...hmmmmmmm...

We don't peek at the cheats, we do like most here and decrypt and print without looking. Seal them up and pack 'em away for if we get desparate.

We bring the obvious. At least for us it is, we make a day of it.

GPS

Road maps to find starting point (have found Mapblast to be a bit unreliable though)

Check out what else is going on in the area (found a food fest/live music, etc)

Compass

Camera

Binoculars

Water for us and Dogs

beer (maybe not so obvious)

bug spray

snacks

trash bag

bottle opener

leishes

dog treats

sunglasses

hat

sweatshirt (if chilly)

T-paper (reality man)

handi wipes

ID

$$

Pack up the husband, dogs, and any friends that want to tag along and head out for an adventure!

What do we leave?

Other than the trade in the cache contents,

just our footprints and all the stress from the work week. Love this sport icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Caching All!

Maxxer (aka - Onamission)

P.S. Oops! Almost forgot to mention packing the cache prizes! We keep a variety bag with us and decide what to leave based on the theme/contents already in the cache.

[This message has been edited by maxxer (edited 08 September 2001).]

t not bad for a simple setup. Perhaps I'll someday get around to customizing my own, but it seems that when I weigh "Should I go after some caches?" vs. "Should I write some code to track caches?" the former usually wins rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the info and ideas...

-exConn