Geocacher Trading Cards. Thoughts?

Greetings,

I heard about PeopleCards on NPR last week and contacted the president of the company regarding customized geocaching cards for geocachers. I've been thinking about trading cards for a while, but really haven't been able to justify the cost for it.

The concept is this: Each geocacher creates his/her own family, group, or individual trading card. That card design would have a unique serial number. If you found a card you could prove you found it and "add" it to your virtual collection online. Others could see who you collected and where. It would function similar to Travel Bugs, except for the fact that they would all have the same tracking number (and would not show a movement history).

Unfortunately the major issue is cost. To make it cost effective it would be around $150 to create 500 cards, which for most is a pretty penny. The result, however, would be an actual trading card quality card (gloss, colors, etc).

The second idea is to generate an Adobe Acrobat file of a card and allow individuals to laminate their cards and put them in caches. Some kind of design tool would be created on the site to do this.

The last possibility is to contact Enteractive and work with them to create a Geocaching specific template. Unfortunately that is pretty expensive too (though much less than the professional way).

Whatever way we go, I believe it adds a neat element to the game. Please respond with your opinion of cost and how interested you would be in doing something like this.

You're also free to sign up on the PeopleCards site to see if they'll add you to the collection. There's also a new Group card being created for those Geocaching organizations out there.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

This seems like a spin-off of the personalized 'cache cards' that some players place in the caches. I know that many people like to see these and collect them. It doesn't interest me, however.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on July 15, 2002 at 12:38 PM.]

There were several thoughts for trading cards:

1. You could create custom containers to trade them (if everyone started using them). It is possible you could mount a card sized container that we may be able to get parks involved with.

2. For the folks who worry about equal trading, a card for a card is pretty straightforward.

3. It'd be nice to have a card traded with folks who you "meet" through caches. Kids could collect them and learn geography, etc.

I dunno. What else?

Jeremy Irish

I create numbered custom cache cards for all the caches that I put out. I have had a great response to these and some of the cachers in this area make extra efforts to go after them. I also created a card that we leave in caches as we find them. I probably would stick with the system that I'm using now unless the cost was really low.

It's a great idea though.

A182pilot

He who angers you, controls you.

I would be interested in seeing this as an item to be letf "in addition to" as opposed to "in lou of" a trade item. Kinda a "Kilroy was here" kind of thing. That way 'cachers could see who had been there before them and/or trade one of their cards for someone elses.

Bottom line: I like the idea but I don't think the $150 option would get far...

I like the template idea. Each person would just fill in the appropriate info and provide a picture and then they could print as many cards as then need/want.

I made up some geocards to leave in caches. But I always forget to leave them.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
Originally posted by gratefulmike:

Why couldn't one signature item be submitted to Geocaching.com and a serial number be assigned to the cacher to place on their signature item - be it a key chain, button, card etc...

I can't see why someone couldn't upload an image of their signature item for a card and attach the card to each signature item.

Jeremy Irish

I think it's a great idea!

Check around though, there are many sites that offer the trading cards. I see them around the office all them time for kids Little Leauge pictures. I'm sure their parents didn't have to buy them in lots of 500. It may cost more per card but if you could order in smaller qtys more people might be interested.

I'd like to see it set up so that we could order them through Groundspeak. I'd rather give you my money than some other company I don't know. icon_smile.gif

I can see it now...Kid's huddled around, card's in hand. "I'll trade you two VentureForth's for one Markwell" icon_biggrin.gif

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

I think it's a great idea!

Check around though, there are many sites that offer the trading cards. I see them around the office all them time for kids Little Leauge pictures. I'm sure their parents didn't have to buy them in lots of 500. It may cost more per card but if you could order in smaller qtys more people might be interested.

I'd like to see it set up so that we could order them through Groundspeak. I'd rather give you my money than some other company I don't know. icon_smile.gif

I can see it now...Kid's huddled around, card's in hand. "I'll trade you two VentureForth's for one Markwell" icon_biggrin.gif

The first thing I look for in a cache is to see if there are any signature items present from cachers I know. Unfortunately there are not a lot of people that have signature Items in my neck of the woods so its not often that I find something. Having a standardized geocacher trading card would definitely increase the pool of signature items so I'm all for it.

Considering the amount of flak we see on the forums about the price for charter memberships I can't imagine the $150 for 500 card package being workable. The ones who don't want to spend that much would complain alot and make life miserable on the forums. Even though I like this option the best I don't think it should be the ONLY option offered.

Having a site tool that would create a geocacher card that the user would print and laminate at home sounds like it would keep more people happy. A service could be provided where Groundspeak, for a price, could print & laminate cards for those without the tools at home to do so.

Which ever option is picked, I'll be an enthusiastic participant!

--- yrium ---

I think this idea will be very well received once people start seeing other people's cards in caches.

When I first ran across peoplecards.net, the first thing I did was look for information on how to sign up.

They sell these cards at various stores in Berkeley and I've been fighting the urge to go pick up a few packs as cache bait.

There is something very appealing in cards about regular people. Finding a cachers card would be a really sweet surprise.

I'm game, but I agree that the price might be out of reach for some.

It's unfortunate that setup fees are the biggest slice of the card-printing pie since most cachers could get by with 200 cards or less.

If we can figure out a way to have smaller run sizes, maybe people could fight over a ClayJar "rookie" card.

This has been a fairly hot thread in alt.rec.geocaching for about a week now. I wrote:

"Pretty cool! I've been trying to think of a way to create pokemon or digimon like cards for caching. I figure you could have different types, Cache's, Cachers, Travelers. The different cards would have details and stats of the person/thing and you would collect them."

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

My husband creates his own cache cards for each cache he hides (plus his virtual). When a cacher finds his cache they can take one to keep to show that they've been there. You can only get them if you go to the cache (or email him the virtual cache answer) and that makes them harder to come by. He has had positive responses from them. There is no personal information on there, but each cache is pictured in it's hiding spot and with the coords.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I knew I had come across site's with these before so I did a quick google search. This one might be worth looking into. They have a much lower initial buy-in quantity and they do indicate they will work with custom desgins.

It is more per card but that is to be expected.

Yes, there are ways to get down the price on trading cards. The folks have contacts in the biz that can get the costs down much lower than that.

Let's just stick to the trading card concept and move away from the cost for now.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Great Idea!

I've seen quite a few people mention in the forums that they've left a personalized card of one sort or another but it would be great to actually see a standardized template with a glossy pic on the front and stats/info etc on the back. Along the same lines one could also immortalize a special or unique cache with it's own card...much the same way sport cards not only show players but have team photos/trophy winners etc.

A most excellent idea!...Count me inicon_smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

Great Idea!

I've seen quite a few people mention in the forums that they've left a personalized card of one sort or another but it would be great to actually see a standardized template with a glossy pic on the front and stats/info etc on the back. Along the same lines one could also immortalize a special or unique cache with it's own card...much the same way sport cards not only show players but have team photos/trophy winners etc.

A most excellent idea!...Count me in:)

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

I like the idea of cards. I usually staple a custom-made business type card in the logbook of caches I find. As a die-hard cheapskate I favor the least costly option.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

There was a lot of discussion about (and pictures of) different types of cache/cacher trading cards in this topic from the old forums.

I created my own rookie year cacher trading card and left a few in some local caches. To my knowlege only one was ever retrieved. Recently, while caching in Pennsylvania, I came across a cache that included trading cards of the local park rangers, very cool.

I guess I'd like to see a form on the website that one could fill out, add a picture to, and then print and laminate at home. Kind of like those electronic greeting card sites.

Barring that possibility I'd like to see the minimum quantity get down below a hundred or so... that way you could update your cards every year or after a given milestone or something.

Regards,

Tedoca

mdgps11.gif

We have a geocaching "calling" card that we leave in the caches we visit. I've heard of folks taking our cards as something in trade, though we think of them as part of the logbook.

I would love to have "trading" cards, though. The only problem I see is this: folks so far are mentioning stats. If one were to purchase a 500 quantity of cards with their "stats" on them, the stats would be obsolete by the time the cards returned from the printer. If there were a spot to handwrite that information in, that would be cool.

I did visit the peoplecards site and thought that the layout was very attractive and just like calling cards or what one can find on collectible card game cards.

I would like to see them bigger than business card-size, but not by much. Count my family (team) in. We could put a group of them in each cache and each cacher who visits (and is into trading or collecting cards) can have one. Neat idea.

Thanks, Jeremy.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

I actually looked into one of those online free business card deals. They had several pre-constructed formats and would give you 250 cards for cost of shipping. Struck me as a bit of a bait and switch outfit as they kept trying to get me to buy additional features or card numbers. I might look into one of the printer packages that makes business cards on your inkjet. Pro print shops may not be all that expensive either as long as you keep them simple. This way I could get many of them for the caches I find.

I think the idea is cool, and I like that they would all be standardized into one format. I can see it now ... gotta collect them all!!

Anyway, what happens when your card becomes out of date? Ie your occupation changes, or somethingn else on the card like location?

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

This sounds like a great idea!!!

I was kicking this idea around as an alterntive to a GEOCOIN,GEO POKER CHIP, GEO DOGTAGS, and GEO WODDEN NICKELS.

I would prefer the PDF termplate thing though that way you could change it every season/year.

or make the cards reflect not only the cacher but a cache. Ponyboy came up with a design I like Ponyboy's geocard

So Jermey Please keep considering the idea!!!!

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I haven't had any for year but we Ham Radio operators often exchange post cards we have printed special called QSL cards. I had a custom design made, glossy and went through hundreds of them. It would be more interesting than a simple business type card,

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I'd like to see a standard template available in business card and trading card sizes that could be customized either online by dowloading to the PC in a widely-available format (MS Publisher?). Being able to submit the completed template to a printing/laminating company via the web would also be a plus, but the cost should be way less than initially suggested. Otherwise I'd find someone else to handle the service or just do it myself.

Worldtraveler

Why not make a download availeble generated by the geocaching website that geocachers can print and or laminate to use.. some that may not want to use the trading cards just dont have to make them..

I'm living in thailand and think the trading card is a good thing.. but since i'm in thailand i maybe out of reach to get the trading cards..

Just a thought,,

greetings fellow cachers

Don't mather how far you get from home, you will always get back there to get out again

Great idea in what ever fashion ya'll come up with I'm game. I already have a Pepper sticker I place in the log books when I find a cache. I also look for those sort of items first when I dig in.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

If they were made about Bussiness card size..

I was thinking how folks love to use Altoids tins for micros. You would easly be able to fit about 2 dozen cards in a cache of this type.

HMMM....all caches could become micros?? Up go the diff rattings!!!

Just a thought.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I think this is a great idea! I really liked the one that Ponyboy designed and would love to get one from every cache that I log.

Cards of individual cachers would be less interesting to me, but still a neat idea. I would probably pitch in if it weren't too expensive.

I bought 60 business cards at Kinko's that I had desgined. Kept it simple with just text, but wound up with a 15 dollar onetime set-up fee and a $6.50 fee for the duplicating. Now that the template is set, I can get more later for the lower amount. Put a dozen or so in my first cache. Hopefully, I'll get that many visitors...

(One thing I didn't expect was the anticipation of finding a log on the website....I wish someone would hurry up and log it.)

Probably should be posted in the T.B. forum, but this is a good topic. I recently sent out a T.B. whos goal is to collect peoples Geo-Business cards. I wanted to collect a whole bunch and post them online when I retrieve the bug.

Here is the T.B. Stolen Wallet!

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

It is hard enough to maintain a cache with interesting items and now you want to introduce geocards? Have you guys seen pictures posted by geocachers? We are not an attractive group. Who wants a box full of pictures of ugly people?

Could this be why you "hike solo"? icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry ... couldn't resist!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

It is hard enough to maintain a cache with interesting items and now you want to introduce geocards? Have you guys seen pictures posted by geocachers? We are not an attractive group. Who wants a box full of pictures of ugly people?

Could this be why you "hike solo"? icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry ... couldn't resist!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!