www.geocaching.com Features Wish List

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest Muzikman

Jeremy, cool Idea... icon_smile.gif

As for everyone asking for live (real time) chat. Check out IRC. There is a #Geocaching channel on Dalnet. If you need more information on IRC, check out www.mirc.com

Remember...Dalnet servers and the channel is #geocaching

Hope to see more people there soon.

Thank you and good night...

------------------

---------------------

Jason "Muzikman" Beam

Pittsburgh, PA

-eTrex Summit-

Guest Muzikman

Jeremy, cool Idea... icon_smile.gif

As for everyone asking for live (real time) chat. Check out IRC. There is a #Geocaching channel on Dalnet. If you need more information on IRC, check out www.mirc.com

Remember...Dalnet servers and the channel is #geocaching

Hope to see more people there soon.

Thank you and good night...

------------------

---------------------

Jason "Muzikman" Beam

Pittsburgh, PA

-eTrex Summit-

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I've been thinking of a logging feature myself for caches...

Why not adapt an approach used by some virtual caches? Why not just assign a secret ID number to each cache, have the cache hider mark his cache with the secret ID number, and have the finder report the secret ID number when he logs a find? The ID never has to be published in the clear, so only true finders would ever know the ID. It's not hardware, but it works.

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Scout:

It's not hardware, but it works.

Well, since it was just an idea, and not something I was really going to do, it's kind of a moot point.

But since you ask, if you could have such a device, and have it increment a new file each time that can't be duplicated or reused, it's a true way of determining whether someone really visited a location. It's also a cool way of exchanging documents, getting a key to a second set of coordinates, etc. A code word can easily be emailed or transmitted electronically to another person who could also log the find without ever setting foot at the cache site.

If, say, there was a worldwide hunt with a huge prize, it would also be a good way of determining fair play. Also hypothetical.

Jeremy

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

But since you ask, if you could have such a device, and have it increment a new file each time that can't be duplicated or reused, it's a true way of determining whether someone really visited a location.

You're right. A static code word could get passed around by word of mouth.

You're right that it would take hardware to change the code word after each visitor.

But, even there, you'd need a delay feature, so that a finder doesn't just "find" the cache several times in a row, then forward the new code words to friends, who all record the find, each with a different code word.

I'm beginning to think that the only foolproof system is one with fingerprint or voice or retina recognition capabilities. As you say, it's moot with the cost of today's technology. But maybe someday...

Guest Peanuthead

Search, search, and more search, search for most caches found, who has found caches in the most states, who has placed the most caches, which caches have been found most often.

Search engine would add SOOOOOOOOO much to the site.

Guest Artful Dodger

How about an email notification or even a visual notification when you log on to notify you that there is X new caches in your search area. The search area can be a user definable distance radius from your initial Zip Code that you entered initially.

Guest chrome

I would like to be able to put a start and end date or even start and end time on a cache. I think it would be fun to have a holiday cache like on Halloween or something, but one that lasts just that day, and not have to maunually change or remove the cache from the listing.

Guest chrome

Display City and Zip Code of cache when looking at the list rather than just the state the cache is in. To get this now the only way I've found to do it is to go to the map and zoom out until you see what city it's in.

Guest tnunnery

distance is listed in the cache description, this really helps with scheduling a hunt. This may be too much information and could be part of the encrypted hint.

Thoughts? Feelings? Aspirations?

Guest ruttencutter

Interesting.

I just tossed Jeremy an email yesterday about assisting him with the coding of the website since he seems so busy.

My email is scott@ruttencutter.com if the moderator/originator of this post would like to contact me further.

Thanks,

-Scott

Guest Hard Slate

One thing I've thought about lately is an option to see what caches other cacheseekers have found(for those personal/regional rivalries).

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
I just tossed Jeremy an email yesterday about assisting him with the coding of the website since he seems so busy.

I've also offered my help to Jeremy before, but he has declined stating he is happy with the pace of progress.

He did ask for help with the mapping but the required load was more than I had available. Guess I was looking for easy (but important) stuff like 101 ways to search ...

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Ttepee

I just posted this as a new topic but then it occured to me maybe here is where this should be aired also. How about a gallery of pics with links to the cache pages.. like for people that are looking to plan a vacation.. pick the coolest place you see within your travel range and go for it. I'm also trying to encourage more people to actually post their pictures (digital or disposable)... seems I so rarely see them on the webpages and they add so much to sharing the hunt.

Guest Women) Group

Not at the moment. Interesting idea for a new feature though. In the meantime you can always create a second account with a zipcode.

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----

Subject: [T20010607000GZ23976]

Tracking Number : T20010607000GZ23976

Pool : Geocaching

Sent to : contact@geocaching.com, jeremy@geocaching.com

Date : 07-Jun-01 11:03 AM

---

Can a person monitor geocache placement in more than one zipcode? Is a certain format necessary for listing more than one zipcode? Commas,semicolons, or quotes to separate? Or maybe a boolean AND?

------------------

Guest Women) Group

Nearest Geocache(s)

Search for more caches

"We couldn't find your zip code in the database. This is probably because our zipcode database uses information freely available from the 1990 census. I would suggest subtracting 1 from your zipcode to get a close approximation of your location.

We'll try to get more up-to-date data soon!"

Note: we have been in this house for 7 years and the zip code has existed for six. Subtracting doesn't work. Sometimes we get a printout of nearest caches when we enter 20112 but most of the time we get the above message. Any idea about what is happening or when this will get fixed to be consistent? Thanks. You continue to do a great job.

Guest bigmancam2

In another thread, LilDevil suggested that regional maps would help show rural caches, (like Ed Hall's maps.)

quote:
Another issue is how would someone find the cache listing since they won't be near any zip codes anyone is likely to check. Maybe we need a site to show a map of an entire state or region with markers for all the caches...

Additionally, I suggest that areas with large cache populations have a zoom feature, with cache "dots" appearing on the map. Current MapBlast maps display too small of a window and involve rather lengthy zoom out processes to discover the cache's actual vicinity and surrounding area. I support the aforementioned incorporation of Ed Hall-style maps into cache details pages.

Haven't really looked at the forums for a year or so but since I just switched from a Garmin GPSR to a Magellan I wanted to do some searches. This place is still a treasure trove of information although I'm still looking for the least bizarre way to do the "Magellan Hula" to unlock averaging without looking like a total whack-nut.

In my searches I find my first post in May, 2001 which was adding to a geocaching wish-list. Reading my three wishes I now find that all my wishes havee been answered. I have the site send me an email with my nearest 500 caches in a form that my GPSR easily digests. Very nice. But what is this? 500 caches gets me only 80 miles out and my GPS screen is wall to wall GChex code!. Yeow, soemone has been busy. When I started there were 2,000 caches in the database. Looks like there are a few more now. icon_razz.gif

A cruise through the forums looks about the same as a year ago except I don't recognize the names. I hope Bunkerdave and Clayjar etc. are just lurking while a new batch of users answer all the questions. The flaming threads all have a familiar ring to them. Except maybe the "cachepolice" one. Don't really know what to make of that one except people might be taking the game and themselves too seriously (not to negate the fact that cheaters should never prosper). It was IronChef in this thread that said "most people here have SA still enabled when it comes to the viewpoint that they don't agree with". He might have been speaking of that type of thread.

When I first ran into this game I thought it had a good chance to crash and burn. Too many ways for dumb people to screw it up. I am glad to see that hasn't been the case and the game seems to be alive and well. I did run into a forum message that implied that if you mentioned another caching site the message would be deleted. This I think would be an unhealthy situation but hopefully it isn't the case.

And now I see that "becnhmarks" have been added to my seek page. Back in the "old days" these were a royal pain to dig up info on. Maybe I'll try a few of those today.

Happy hunting. icon_razz.gif

Haven't really looked at the forums for a year or so but since I just switched from a Garmin GPSR to a Magellan I wanted to do some searches. This place is still a treasure trove of information although I'm still looking for the least bizarre way to do the "Magellan Hula" to unlock averaging without looking like a total whack-nut.

In my searches I find my first post in May, 2001 which was adding to a geocaching wish-list. Reading my three wishes I now find that all my wishes havee been answered. I have the site send me an email with my nearest 500 caches in a form that my GPSR easily digests. Very nice. But what is this? 500 caches gets me only 80 miles out and my GPS screen is wall to wall GChex code!. Yeow, soemone has been busy. When I started there were 2,000 caches in the database. Looks like there are a few more now. icon_razz.gif

A cruise through the forums looks about the same as a year ago except I don't recognize the names. I hope Bunkerdave and Clayjar etc. are just lurking while a new batch of users answer all the questions. The flaming threads all have a familiar ring to them. Except maybe the "cachepolice" one. Don't really know what to make of that one except people might be taking the game and themselves too seriously (not to negate the fact that cheaters should never prosper). It was IronChef in this thread that said "most people here have SA still enabled when it comes to the viewpoint that they don't agree with". He might have been speaking of that type of thread.

When I first ran into this game I thought it had a good chance to crash and burn. Too many ways for dumb people to screw it up. I am glad to see that hasn't been the case and the game seems to be alive and well. I did run into a forum message that implied that if you mentioned another caching site the message would be deleted. This I think would be an unhealthy situation but hopefully it isn't the case.

And now I see that "becnhmarks" have been added to my seek page. Back in the "old days" these were a royal pain to dig up info on. Maybe I'll try a few of those today.

Happy hunting. icon_razz.gif

Well I suppose when everyone knows what the hex code meant and used the search it would get boring around here. I bopped into "getting started" and the top one one was, "how do I put a wapoint into my etrex. Before I could pass on a nugget of wisdom it was answered already.

I'm feeling like a newbie with this Magellan Sport Trac Pro. What did I learn today? If you have 500 GC waypoints in it then Boston cannot been seen at certain mag resolutions because it is wall to wall GCXXXX.

So that brings up a thread that never has a good answer, why don't we rate caches so I can download just the "good" ones? (Just kidding, I know this ain't happening).

Tomorrow I do a couple of benchmarks. Today I got to drive a Shelby Cobra. (My GPS recorded 101mph) Bummer the Magellan doesn't have a max speed like the Etrex. icon_razz.gif

Well I suppose when everyone knows what the hex code meant and used the search it would get boring around here. I bopped into "getting started" and the top one one was, "how do I put a wapoint into my etrex. Before I could pass on a nugget of wisdom it was answered already.

I'm feeling like a newbie with this Magellan Sport Trac Pro. What did I learn today? If you have 500 GC waypoints in it then Boston cannot been seen at certain mag resolutions because it is wall to wall GCXXXX.

So that brings up a thread that never has a good answer, why don't we rate caches so I can download just the "good" ones? (Just kidding, I know this ain't happening).

Tomorrow I do a couple of benchmarks. Today I got to drive a Shelby Cobra. (My GPS recorded 101mph) Bummer the Magellan doesn't have a max speed like the Etrex. icon_razz.gif