www.geocaching.com Features Wish List

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest 300mag

I think a live chat room would be nice.But it would reduce the different forum postings.I feel these forum's are essential.You can get very good info and come back to the postings for updated info or links.A chat room would be a nice place to chat and know other geocachers and get some experience or tips on the game.

Guest GuyMcBeerdrinker

I would like to be able to modify or edit a post on a cache page. It seems that the only choices we have are encrypt and erase.

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by GuyMcBeerdrinker:

I would like to be able to modify or edit a post on a cache page...

Ditto here.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Silver

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

Part of the reason for starting a wish list is that I would like Jeremy to consider publishing the Geocache.com ASP source code so that other Geocachers that can code ASP can assist him.

My opinion is that this would just add another task to Jeremy's already hectic schedule. He already maintains the web site, monitors these forums, reads the 30+ messages on the mailing list each day, helps shape the direction the sport is moving, helps promote geocaching in a positive light, and still tries to find a cache or two on the weekends. Monitoring an open source project on Sourceforge is another large task. Have you ever tried to write a program by committee? icon_smile.gif

He would have to review all the additions that everyone wanted ("Hey, just add it! I already coded it for you!") Republish the source code every time he made an improvement, tell everyone what items he wanted coded that he couldn't do or didn't have time for, and keep the Sourceforge site up to date as well.

I haven't seen very many suggestions that either weren't quickly added, or Jeremy decided he didn't think would add to the sport. One of the items in question was statistics. He has said that he didn't like the idea of people clicking on a user's name to get a "found/hidden" ratio. (The issue has been well discussed in another topic.)

I'm sure Jeremy is monitoring this 'Wish list' and will add the items he thinks will benefit the web site. I have seen more improvements to the site than there have been suggestions. He's coding like a mad man. icon_smile.gif

Another item that Jeremy has to consider is the web site affects the preception of the entire sport of geocaching. Every feature he adds can impact how the sport is viewed by local officals, National Park Service personnel, reporters doing geocaching stories, etc. He has to be both a politician AND a programmer.

Anyway, like I said, just my opinion.

(Jeremy - If I have mis-paraphrased your intents or ideas, my apologies.)

Silver

[This message has been edited by Silver (edited 12 May 2001).]

Guest Silver

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

Part of the reason for starting a wish list is that I would like Jeremy to consider publishing the Geocache.com ASP source code so that other Geocachers that can code ASP can assist him.

My opinion is that this would just add another task to Jeremy's already hectic schedule. He already maintains the web site, monitors these forums, reads the 30+ messages on the mailing list each day, helps shape the direction the sport is moving, helps promote geocaching in a positive light, and still tries to find a cache or two on the weekends. Monitoring an open source project on Sourceforge is another large task. Have you ever tried to write a program by committee? icon_smile.gif

He would have to review all the additions that everyone wanted ("Hey, just add it! I already coded it for you!") Republish the source code every time he made an improvement, tell everyone what items he wanted coded that he couldn't do or didn't have time for, and keep the Sourceforge site up to date as well.

I haven't seen very many suggestions that either weren't quickly added, or Jeremy decided he didn't think would add to the sport. One of the items in question was statistics. He has said that he didn't like the idea of people clicking on a user's name to get a "found/hidden" ratio. (The issue has been well discussed in another topic.)

I'm sure Jeremy is monitoring this 'Wish list' and will add the items he thinks will benefit the web site. I have seen more improvements to the site than there have been suggestions. He's coding like a mad man. icon_smile.gif

Another item that Jeremy has to consider is the web site affects the preception of the entire sport of geocaching. Every feature he adds can impact how the sport is viewed by local officals, National Park Service personnel, reporters doing geocaching stories, etc. He has to be both a politician AND a programmer.

Anyway, like I said, just my opinion.

(Jeremy - If I have mis-paraphrased your intents or ideas, my apologies.)

Silver

[This message has been edited by Silver (edited 12 May 2001).]

Guest makaio

On the most recent logs page, logs are currently sorted by most recently added log first (top). It would be nice if there were radio buttons allowing us to sort the list by state or by the login of the person who posted it. Not a big deal, though, as it can be done using the browsers Find feature.

Guest turken

a few other suggested options for the cache search page:

select a distance value to search within, and return all caches within range, not just nearest 25-30 caches.

sort options for all searches (ie. date stashed, date last found, number of logged finds, distance to nearest cache, direction of cache, etc)

search by hider

[This message has been edited by turken (edited 19 May 2001).]

Guest bob_renner

On the search results page that lists caches, show a tally of the logs recorded for each cache. Show a smiley face with a number, a frown with a number, and a note icon with a number. That way you can see which caches have been logged a lot and which ones haven't been logged at all. This information could be added on the second line right after the state name.

Guest Markwell

Search based on other criteria - difficulty/terrain, type category, size, etc.

Also, showing the approximate coordinates on the results of a search?

Guest Lux Lucid

And Jeremy, when you run out of things to do icon_wink.gif , could you add the _name_ of the cache to the body of the little "[LOG] Watch List Notification" e-mails? (Yes, sometimes I'm to lazy to click on the link. :P )

Much thanks for all the stuff you've done already. The site is wonderful, and getting better all the time. I love the "upload images" feature that works even AFTER I log a cache. It's nice 'cause I can log right away and wait for film to get developed.

Guest Lux Lucid

And Jeremy, when you run out of things to do icon_wink.gif , could you add the _name_ of the cache to the body of the little "[LOG] Watch List Notification" e-mails? (Yes, sometimes I'm to lazy to click on the link. :P )

Much thanks for all the stuff you've done already. The site is wonderful, and getting better all the time. I love the "upload images" feature that works even AFTER I log a cache. It's nice 'cause I can log right away and wait for film to get developed.

Guest Hard Slate

The site is fantasic as it is! But of course ther will allways be room for improvemens.I personally would like to see a realtime chat room, maybe even several different topic lines.I like the idea of a more direct cache search( I'm going to Virginia in a couple weeks and had to search thru all of them to find the ones in the region I'll be).

A site like this is an enormous task, keep up the good work J!

We all greatly appreciate your efforts!

Hard Slate

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 23 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 23 May 2001).]

Guest pfred

I'd like to see an option to password-protect the logbook on a cache page. The cache owner could specify a password that the seeker could only learn if s/he actually found the cache. You would need to know the password if you wanted to add a "found it!" entry to the log. This would be especially usefull for virtual caches.

[This message has been edited by pfred (edited 23 May 2001).]

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by pfred:

I'd like to see an option to password-protect the logbook on a cache page.

That would be a neat solution to a complaint some have had about spoilers in the logs. Cache hiders who object to loggers including spoilers could password protect the log, so the only readers would be people who have already found the log. Successful hunters could feel free to talk about all the details of the hunt without fear of spoiling it for others who haven't hunted that cache yet.

Make this feature optional and those who like things just the way they are can continue to do logs the old way. To each his own.

Guest Peter Scholtz

Summary of the wishes stated so far in this forum topic:

1. Maps outside the USA

2. Statistics

3. Chat

4. Edit cache logs

5. Search

5.1 Cache types

5.2 Keyword search to include cache details

5.3 Distance

5.4 Date hidden

5.5 Date found

5.6 Number of logs

5.7 Direction

5.8 Difficulty

5.9 Terrain

5.10 Size

6. Search results

6.1 Show total cache logs (for each type)

6.2 Show coordinates

7. Recent cache logs, sort by state or user

8. Email notification to show cache name

9. Logbook password protect

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest pfred

quote:
Originally posted by Scout:

Cache hiders who object to loggers including spoilers could password protect the log, so the only readers would be people who have already found the log.

The general idea is to have some portion of the cache page be accessable to only people who have found the cache. Some people are trying to do this already in a variety of ways. Look at GC7ED, GC6CD, GC38C and GC5D6.

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by pfred:

Look at GC7ED, GC6CD, GC38C and GC5D6.

Coincidentally, I am familiar with GC7ED, not from having visited it, but from a search I did of puzzle caches before placing one of my own. GC7ED may be a good example of why the requested feature of password-protecting parts of the cache page may be needed. I was able to crack its password protection scheme with little trouble (first word on the secret page is "Yeah"). Rather than having more and more people put time and effort into sub-optimal home-grown solutions, a robust built-in solution would be good.

My opinion, FWIW.

Guest cleenjeep

I love the site, I am only annoyed by one thing. My session expires so quickly. I would like the cookie to expire after, I dunno, say two days, or something like that. Or maybe a year. I dont like that it expires when I leave the site. Maybe it could offer some options to set it to expire when you want it to, with the default expiring when you leave the site.

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest WaylandersMA

Such a great site with so much stuff it's hard to come up with additions..

But since I've been reading it for three days and actually have gone out and found my first cache I'm now an expert. icon_smile.gif

1)Type in zip code. Get the list of 25 caches nearby. Then Avant-Go the "printer friendly no logs" of the 25 into my Palm Pilot.

2) Type in zip code. Get list of 25 caches nearby. Then click a button and the coordinates of the 25 magically become waypoints on my Etrex.

Then again, Forget it. For the first time since college I'm wandering in the woods with a notebook and writing stuff down with a pencil. Next thing I know I'll be buying some Dylan LP's. (Happy BD Bob).

Guest WaylandersMA

Such a great site with so much stuff it's hard to come up with additions..

But since I've been reading it for three days and actually have gone out and found my first cache I'm now an expert. icon_smile.gif

1)Type in zip code. Get the list of 25 caches nearby. Then Avant-Go the "printer friendly no logs" of the 25 into my Palm Pilot.

2) Type in zip code. Get list of 25 caches nearby. Then click a button and the coordinates of the 25 magically become waypoints on my Etrex.

Then again, Forget it. For the first time since college I'm wandering in the woods with a notebook and writing stuff down with a pencil. Next thing I know I'll be buying some Dylan LP's. (Happy BD Bob).

Guest Peter Scholtz

Optional spelling checker/preview of cache report, cache logging and forum posts.

Guess I'm to lazy to copy & paste between Word and the web site.

So a low priority request.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest guerroloco

It would be nice if we could view and/or download a database file of all caches for a given state or country. This file could then be imported into Excel, Access, SQL Server, ArcView or whatever, & could then be manipulated to produce maps or automatic waypoint lists for data-cable transfer direct to GPS. Coding such an output would be extremely easy; it could simply be a delimited text file including cache name, number, state, latitude, longitude. That way, if I want cache information in a certain format (for example, all caches within a 75-mile radius of cache __, or all caches in a specific lat/lon range), I could just use spreadsheet, database, or GIS functions to get that info, instead of having to pester Jeremy to add that functionality to his site.

Guest Peter Scholtz

Another very minor one:

If you start a message and request notifications, when you post another message to the thread you started, you are notified of it though you just posted it.

For those that haven't started a new thread, you have the option to be notified of new posts to the thread. Very nice feature, since it's obviously a topic of interest to you and it's less of an effort than checking for new posts.

That reminds me, I'd like the ability to select the notify option even if I didn't start the thread.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Peter Scholtz

Silver: "Two features I wonder if you could incorporate:

Breaking the long topics into pages. Some of the topics have gotten over 200K in length and waiting for the entire thread to display to read the last post is frustrating. Any way to set it so anything over, say, 60-70K gets broken into two pages with the second page displayed first?

Automatically shortening long URL links. Some of the links that get posted are over 130 characters in length. Will the software let you filter them and replace long links with a generic 'LINK' or "Click Here' message? Scrolling sideways for two screens to read a topic with a long URL in one post is a little tiring."

Enough! (Had to page down through the last 30 of 140 messages of the "Pin Map" topic)

As I've done in this topic, I'd like to see a summary:

1. It's wonderful that this has happened now. If the legal issues popped up a year from now then things would be even more complex.

2. The Geocaching game/sport/adventure is unique when compared to any game/sport/adventure until now.

3. Jeremy owns the copyright to his source code.

4. Geocachers own their caches and data.

So my initial conclusion:

1. Jeremy apologise to Ed for being blunt.

2. Ed apologises to Jeremy for taking it personal.

3. Ed's map code merged with Jeremey's code.

4. Everyone, say yay!

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest MikeLINY

I think the search options would be a great idea!

Living on Long Island, when I seach, I get many caches in CT. Only problem is that two hours away even though it's only 10 miles. (Unfortuantely my car still hasn't learned to float on the water). Also I'd like to be able to avoid going throught all the New York City listings. Sometimes it's to big a hassle to go into the city. If I could just seach for Nassau, and Suffolk Counties (true long island) It would save lots of frustration, what if the town, or county the cache is in were also listed on the search results? I don't think that would be too big a hint.

Guest Scout

Grounded Inc needs to post a statement similar to this one from the Yahoo terms of service: "Yahoo does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service."

Guest Lazyboy

A feature I would enjoy on this site is the ability to search a single user, to see where they've placed caches. I think this would be fun. I've placed some out of state caches myself and travel so it might be fun to see if others do that.

Guest Dan Bollinger

This has been mentioned, but I'm puttin in for my vote, too. I'd like to see on the home page a running total of caches. Something like:

There are now XX,XXX caches in the world.

Guest placeman

How about having a field in your personal account information to enter the cooridinates of your house, so that you can click on a "from your location" link to see which caches are really closest to your home, as well as the exact distance. I believe that if you click on your zip code it uses the coordinates of that particular post office, or possibly the geographical center of the city. I, like others, live in an unincorporated area of the county, outside of the city that holds the post office that serves my area.

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

we will aggressively attempt to prevent any attempt to steal the data contained on the geocaching.com web site if it is being used to create other sites, without the express permission of each and every cache owner that posts a cache to the web site.

I commend your interest in protecting the interests of geocachers. I'd like to see an option on the cache submission form that allows the geocacher to expressly give permission to allow others to refer to one's geocache coordinates on another Web site. I'd hate to see others scared off from sharing with the world the fun they had hunting my geocaches. Others might too. I'd like us all to be able to easily make known to them that they are free to post records of which caches of mine they hunted, to document the great time they had hunting my cache, etc.

[This message has been edited by Scout (edited 01 June 2001).]

Guest jeremy

quote:

I'd like to see an option on the cache submission form that allows the geocacher to expressly give permission to allow others to refer to one's geocache coordinates on another Web site[This message has been edited by Scout (edited 01 June 2001).]

That's a good idea! I'll see what I can do.

Jeremy

Guest Scout

quote:

That's a good idea! I'll see what I can do.

Thanks. Be sure to add it to the form one uses to edit your cache page, so we can go back and correct any misperceptions on any old caches, too.

Guest Scout

quote:

Definitely. What you can add to the cache report you'll certainly be able to update.

Jeremy

Fantastic. Ed Hall map fans, help is on the way. Soon, geocachers will be able to mark their caches as being accessible to Ed Hall to put on his maps.

It's probably also a good way to find out which caches are still being maintained by their owners. Caches that don't show up on Ed's maps have a good chance of being ones that have been abandoned.

Guest jeremy

quote:

It's probably also a good way to find out which caches are still being maintained by their owners. Caches that don't show up on Ed's maps have a good chance of being ones that have been abandoned.

I don't follow. So you're assuming that everyone will want to allow people to take their cache information and do whatever they want with it? If so, you're missing the point.

Jeremy

Guest Iron Chef

take their cache information and do whatever they want with it? If so, you're missing the point.

Jeremy

I don't know about everyone else here, but I kinda think that when it comes to actually seeing the point (as opposed to missing it), most people here have SA still enabled when it comes to the viewpoint that they don't agree with. ;~) Then again, that's just me and my opposable thumbs.

-Iron Chef

"What good is a democracy if you vote wrong?" -Dick Soloman

Guest Peter Scholtz

This seems like the best possible middle ground. It allows Geocachers to add value and allows Jeremy to remove caches.

Let's give it a rest now.

Jeremy, how about those maps? Any chance for world wide maps?

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Peter Scholtz

Summary of the wishes stated so far in this forum topic:

1. Maps outside the USA

2. Statistics

3. Chat

4. Edit cache logs

5. Search

5.1 Cache types

5.2 Keyword search to include cache details

5.3 Distance

5.4 Date hidden

5.5 Date found

5.6 Number of logs

5.7 Direction

5.8 Difficulty

5.9 Terrain

5.10 Size

5.11 Town/County

5.12 Geocacher

5.13 From my home location

6. Search results

6.1 Show total cache logs (for each type)

6.2 Show coordinates

6.3 Distance by road

7. Recent cache logs, sort by state or user

8. Email notification to show cache name

9. Logbook password protect

10. Longer cookie expiry date

11. Optional spelling checker/preview of cache report, cache logging and forum posts

12. Download a database file

13. Able to select notification option for forum topics

14. Ed's code merged with Jeremy's

15. Copyright 2000-2001 notice

16. Updated terms of service

17. Totals on home page

18. Public-domain cache-status-field

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Scout

quote:

I don't follow. So you're assuming that everyone will want to allow people to take their cache information and do whatever they want with it? If so, you're missing the point.

Ed Hall's maps were good. I have not read a single criticism of them. I assume most people agree. "Everyone" is another matter.

This probably deserves a completely separate thread, but I am concerned about what the database will look like in, say, 5 years. What happens when there are, not 2000 caches in the database, but 20,000 or 200,000? What happens when tens of thousands of them have not been visited in years. Maybe it won't be a problem to wade through and ignore the leftover litter, so to speak. Or maybe today's geocachers don't care about the future, so long as it's fun today.

Like I said, maybe such strategic thinking deserves its own thread. The reason I bring it up at all is because I was thinking along those lines when I realized that any historic caches that owners go back and mark as being open to Ed Hall to map, are probably caches that are still being taken care of by their owners. That's good. It doesn't prove anything about the caches not so marked. But, personally, if I had a choice of which to search out, I would pick the ones that I have some evidence are being taken care of.

There, does that long-winded explanation make you sorry you asked?

Guest Artful Dodger

I just want to emphasize the wish for the feature to view all caches by hider (similar to Ebay's View all Auctions by Seller)

Guest IronHelix

Cookies are good. Esp. Chocolate chip.

I'd like an option to have a permanent Geocaching cookie, so whenever I visit the site I am automatically logged in. Easy way to do this is have a button on the login page (Login Permanently) that will set the cookie.

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by IronHelix:

... so whenever I visit the site I am automatically logged in.

What would be nice is a Geocache hardware product that does auto logging with pictures when a cache is opened ...

Something like a dedicated/firmware (i.e. no windoze) based system with GPS, cellular modem, web cam, tamper-switch, battery and solar cells attached ... not technically a challenge as it can be done right now, the challenge would be to make it a small compact unit.

So when a cacher opens a newly found cache the system would take pictures and upload to the Geocaching.com site, all automatically.

So when the seeker logs the cache they can select which pictures look ok and discard the rest.

A wild estimate of the cost of such a "black box" would be: (I start in Rand and end in Dollars)

dedicated/firmware = R2,000

GPS = R1,000

cellular modem = R1,000

web cam = R400

tamper-switch = 0

battery = R50

solar cells = R500 ?

Total is R4,950 / 8 = $620

Times two since I'm a programmer and times that by two for profit and we end up with $2,480.

I'd buy one! Well, only one I guess. And it will be very well hidden!

Ok ok, so I'm forgetting (ignoring) many issues, but still a nice thought ...

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za