I don't want to find other cachers while I'm hunting.

Rubbertoe

I have nothing personal against anyone - but I'm not interested in running into other geocachers while I'm hunting. I've got no problem with hooking up at a picnic or some other function - but when I'm out in the woods somewhere, the last thing I'm gonna do is go to the official FRS channel to look for others. icon_smile.gif

I'm naturally anti-social, so that is the main reason probably... but seriously, doesn't it take some of the fun out of it for you if you find someone already at the cache, or if you get on your radio and hear that someone is 1/2 a mile ahead of you and already on their way to find it?

Hehe... hope I don't offend anyone with this post - I just had to comment, after seeing the large amount of posts that were made during the selection of the "official geocaching FRS channel" and since then. icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't mind meeting any of you guys - I just don't want it to be at a cache. Hoping maybe someone else feels the same way, so I am not alone in my reclusiveness. icon_razz.gif

(Look at my avatar on the left... would you really wanna run into that out in the woods some evening?)

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

That's why I usually cache early in the morning, and also wait for any new caches in the area to be found. I figure if I wait a month or so there's less traffic (sometimes).

I'm not really anti-social per se, but I do like being alone when I'm on a cache hike, or on any hike in gerneral. And yeah, I can relate to knowing that a cacher is 1/2 mile ahead and has just found the cache. Kind of a downer in a way. No big deal though. I certainly wouldn't mind it if I bumped into somebody, but there's something about the solitude of the hike and the find that I really enjoy.

...don't sweat the small stuff.

If you're that concerned about not wanting to run into other GeoCachers on the trail to actually start a forum on the subject(?!), chances are you probably won't anyway ...so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. However, if the volume of positive feedback in the GeoCaching FRS forums are any indication, there's social extroverts a'plenty among the ranks of GeoCachers who would welcome such an occasion.

(...and am I missing something, or isn't your having submitted close to 500 forum posts and using what is presumably your own photo as an avatar a contradiction to your claim of being an anti-social recluse? icon_wink.gif )

I've only met people once. We wouldn't have found it if not for them. This was "early in our careers", and the posted coordinates were about 100 feet off. The other team had more experience.

Why do I bring up this story? Where I live, in central-ish NJ (I'm the most southern part of northern NJ, but that sounds confusing), there are a large number of hunters, and it somewhat amazes me that we're not stumbling over each other.

Some of the more prolific cachers in our area apperently do stumble upon each other fairly regularly, but I'm nowhere in their class (over 500 finds).

----------

Chickenfoot! Come back! You're not a freak! You're just stupid!

After you get more finds under your belt you won't worry about the few times you run into someone already at a cache. Just this week I've met two other cachers at two of the caches I went to. At one we teamed up to find the cache and at the other the person was writing there log. With the second cacher, we teamed up to locate another cache that they had no logged earlier.

Being with others that also enjoy our game greatly outweighs being able to locate a cache on your own.

Out of the 600+ I have found, I have run into other cachers less than 20 times, but every time was enjoyable. I have also gone out with other cachers which is very helpful when you don't want to go alone, or there Jeep can get you places you wouldn't want to take your own jeep.

Mine is a standard 4WD Cherokee and the site required a good lift kit to get over some of the rocks.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

If you're that concerned about not wanting to run into other GeoCachers on the trail to actually start a forum on the subject(?!), chances are you probably won't anyway

Heheh... actually, I usually assume my "regular guy" persona if I ever see people while I'm hunting. I don't need to be asked a bunch of questions. icon_smile.gif But no, it isn't a big deal to me if I did meet someone hunting the cache. I just found it interesting that some people would actually try find other cachers by designating a radio channel.
quote:
(...and am I missing something, or isn't your having submitted close to 500 forum posts and using what is presumably your own photo as an avatar a contradiction to your claim of being an anti-social recluse? icon_wink.gif )

I just want people to LOVE ME! *cry*

No, really it is just a matter of convenience for me. When you are online, you do what you want, go where you want, you don't have to deal with any other people unless you choose to do so. In contrast, the real world can be quite an inconvenience when you've got things you wanna do. Interruptions by the phone, people knocking on your door, people coming up to you and asking you what you are doing digging in the bushes, etc. icon_wink.gif I suppose I'm just selfish - I wanna do what I wanna do, and it irritates me when outside influences slow me down, be their intentions good or bad. So, that's why I like interacting with folks online rather than in person. I can do it on my own terms. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm a sick, sick man.

icon_smile.gif Hmm... I suppose a recluse wouldn't have a webcam either.

It's never been my goal to meet another cacher along the trails or at a cache site, but it's always been a pleasure meeting up with other cachers. The conversation has always been lively and friendly, discussing past favorite sites (or unfavorites), caches we plan to do ... and the occasional bit of gossip about other local cachers. icon_wink.gif

Strangely, I've almost always met other cachers about 1/2 way to/from a cache, heading in opposite directions.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

"...the real world can be quite an inconvenience when you've got things you wanna do..."

"...that's why I like interacting with folks online rather than in person. I can do it on my own terms..."

"...I'm a sick, sick man..."

I'm trusting (hoping) that you're posting much of this 'tongue in cheek'/'toe in sock'. If not, Freud could have written a whole chapter on you. Perhaps we should go back to the beginning... when you were a small child, were you routinely shunned by the other kids in the sandbox...?

I especially like running into non-geocachers. It's great fun to make up a non-exsistant profession and segue into a reason for being out there in the woods at that particular time carrying the giant Sasquatch arm.

Kidding aside, my co-workers(the ones I haven't converted yet) are pretty sick of listening to my ideas for caches. When I run into a fellow cacher, going to or coming from, we usually yak for 30 minutes after about geocaching before going our seperate ways.

Seriously,

We've done 54 caches (more than many have, less than many others have), and have run into other cachers twice. Once was at the cache site - and I am afraid that kind of ruined it form him, as he saw us pulling the bucket from its spot! The other time was on the first puzzle/clue gathering stage of a multi-cache, where someone else was walking around with a GPSr. Since all the clues were in the same park, that really didn't give anything away to either party.

"Fy" and I ("Jif") find it fun to run into other cachers - I'm sure we'd ask them if they want to team up, or go solo, and respect it either way. But it's fun to see someone else with the GPSr!

As to finding out someone is half a mile away - that's far enough away that, if they only stay at the cache site for 5 minutes, it's pretty hard to imagine that we would run into them, given how slow we walk icon_wink.gif

Sometimes It'd be nice to meet someone else but generally I agree. I wanna find it myself & i don't want to be pressured knowing someone is on my tail or just ahead of me. on occasion though its actually cool. I had planned to recheck coordinates on a cache placed awhile before. lo & behold someone released a cache right nearby the day before. I knew the local crew can get an early start but I was planning to head out at sunrise anyway. was first to the cache, moved mine and on the return ran into stayfloopy. joined him on the route back to the cache, then he went after my cache in a beta test of sorts. he frequently caches with his mom & dad, so it was quite cool actually. but in general I'd rather not. then again if it happened more maybe I'd like it more???

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Running into other cachers would be fine by me if you know thats what they are. Other than having a GPSr in hand (and not everyone does) you don't know if they are caching or not. My point is that I have been on two caches recently where the caches were way too close to a parking lot and there were people sitting around in their cars watching. Makes me wonder if they knew what I was doing and just waiting for me to leave so they could go after the same cache or they were just annoying people getting in the way of my caching. Either way it probably doesn't matter much but I do look at people strangly while out on the trail to see if they might be a part of the secret society called geocaching. When I'm out there everyone is under suspicion.

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

1. Do not go geocaching on the weekends (you should probably avoid weekdays as well)

2. Do not attempt to be the "first finder" at a new cache. In fact, if you just want to sit at the computer and claim to have found the cache, that works too.

3. When you do go to the woods, wet your pants and push a shopping cart down the trails. People WILL avoid you . . believe me, I KNOW what I'm talking about.

4. To be certain other Geocacher's will avoid you, try wearing a "I'm Rubbertoe" t-shirt while caching. Alternately, a "President of the umc fanclub" shirt (or hat) will also do. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I've got 52 finds and only once have I ever met up with another cacher and that was a great experience. I usually do avoid the weekends, but I doubt that really helps much because a lot of other people do too. In fact, the time I met up with the other cachers was a weekday afternoon.

As for the shopping cart, I left a used golfball in the Kroger's parking lot in trade. The wet pants were really just coffee . . . HONEST! icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I've run into other cachers several times, and it's always been a pleasant experience.

Running into another cacher doesn't automatically mean the hunt will be spoiled be the other cacher. I once ran into Geo Dee at a cache, and we BOTH got skunked by it. We both found it later, on seperate visits.

Yeah, I'd rather find it myself. But meeting up with another cacher and getting to know them also has its rewards.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

4. To be certain other Geocacher's will avoid you, try wearing a "I'm Rubbertoe" t-shirt while caching. Alternately, a "President of the umc fanclub" shirt (or hat) will also do. icon_wink.gif

Too funny!

Carrying a gun and a few belts of ammo over your shoulders will scare most people away as well.

I'd much rather meet a fellow cacher via FRS ahead of time. At least you'll know who it is and can work out other details like pretending your FRS batteries are going dead if you find out it's someone you really want to steer clear of!

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

I deal with a constant barrage of people and issues at work. Because of this, I tend to choose solitary activities. It is my intention to use my time caching as 'alone time'. It is my peaceful time for myself. I do not wish for heavy interaction during this time.

This doesn't make me anti-social. I enjoy going to cacher gatherings and often enjoy conversations with cachers who I meet on trail. But the social aspect is not why I enjoy this activity and it tends to take away from my enjoyment of it.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on October 02, 2002 at 11:26 AM.]

I thought I ran into other cachers yesterday. When I got out of the truck with my GPSr in one hand and my printouts in the other, they started laughing. I thought they knew something I didn't ... or maybe it was the "I'm Rubbertoe" tee-shirt I was wearing... icon_wink.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You're no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let's go."

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_When I see anyone on the trail, I'll flail my arms around as I run away and jump in some bushs. While staring through the bushes at them, I'll make growling and howling sounds. Needless to say, they usually leave rather quickly.

You're lucky they don't pull out their perfectly legal concealed weapon and put you out of your misery on the spot. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

You're lucky they don't pull out their perfectly legal concealed weapon and put you out of your misery on the spot. icon_wink.gif

Nah, luck has nothing to do with it. Concealed carry states are the safer states.

"Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed"

"An armed society is a polite society."

Etc.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/toeshirt.jpg

You guys are giving me some good ideas. icon_wink.gif

Hey I'll buy one of those T's.

That's probably not even your toe. I looked at mine and the jagged edge I keep on my toenails (in case I ever have to take down a racing gazelle) look somewhat like a sideways mo-hawk. I'll have to steal your idea and change my avatar.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

After you get more finds under your belt you won't worry about the few times you run into someone already at a cache.

Rubbertoe,

13 finds!? That's less than one a month. When was the last time you went geocaching? I say this with all the best intent, and don't take this as an attack, but seriously, you're not going to run into anyone else if you don't go out there.

You're not that anti social are you? Don't tell me they're feeding you through a slot in the door.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

According to the American Psychiatric Association (APA), a phobia is an uncontrollable, irrational, and persistent fear of a specific object, situation, or activity. The fear experienced by people with phobias can be so great that some individuals go to extreme lengths to avoid the source of their fear. One extreme response to the source of a phobia can be a panic attack.

Agoraphobia is a Greek word that literally means "fear of the marketplace." This anxiety disorder involves the fear of experiencing a panic attack in a place or situation from which escape may be difficult or embarrassing.

The anxiety associated with agoraphobia is so severe that panic attacks are not unusual, and individuals with agoraphobia typically try to avoid the location or cause of their fear. Agoraphobia involves fear of situations such as, but is not limited to:

being alone outside his/her home

being at home alone

being in a crowd

traveling in a vehicle

being in an elevator or on a bridge

People with agoraphobia typically avoid crowded places like streets, crowded stores, churches, and theaters.

What are the characteristics of agoraphobia?

Most people with agoraphobia develop the disorder after first suffering a series of one or more panic attacks. The attacks occur randomly and without warning, and make it impossible for a person to predict what situations will trigger the reaction. This unpredictability of the panic causes the person to anticipate future panic attacks and, eventually, fear any situation in which an attack may occur. As a result, they avoid going into any place or situation where previous panic attacks have occurred.

People with the disorder often become so disabled that they literally feel they cannot leave their homes. Others who have agoraphobia, do go into potentially "phobic" situations, but only with great distress, or when accompanied by a trusted friend or family member.

Persons with agoraphobia may also develop depression, fatigue, tension, alcohol or drug abuse problems, and obsessive disorders, making seeking treatment crucial.

eek4.gif

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

13 finds!? That's less than one a month. When was the last time you went geocaching? I say this with all the best intent, and don't take this as an attack, but seriously, you're not going to run into anyone else if you don't go out there. You're not that anti social are you? Don't tell me they're feeding you through a slot in the door.

*laugh* No, I'm not as bad as I've probably made myself sound. icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, none of my friends are interested in the hobby - and I can't convince my wife that walking through the woods, looking for a box of goodies is "fun" by her definition of the word.

She's gone with me on a couple of my finds - and it is nice to have someone there so you can say... "Look! See... I found it!" I mean, I know that finding a cache is its own reward, but it is nice to be able to show someone your navigating skillz in person. icon_smile.gif

Look what I can do!

But yeah, I've gotten every cache around Lancaster (home) - along with a couple near Columbus (25 miles NW). I pretty much have decided that I'll just nab caches when something brings me to their area. So far, nothing has taken me to Columbus for a while. My time over the past few months have been making and hiding them, rather than seeking them I guess. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

So...now you _do_ want someone with you when you cache. icon_confused.gif

You're one confusing Toe

Well, having a friend around would be nice... it is the strangers in the woods that you have to watch out for. icon_eek.gif

toe.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Rubbertoe,

13 finds!? That's less than one a month.

13 finds isn't even a good weekend.

Team Sand Dollar

Well, I get more enjoyment thinking up new caches and finding interesting yet accessable places to hide them. Going out and finding tons of caches is fine for some folks - but it isn't for me. If I know one is nearby, I'll try to snag it... but I'm not usually interested in planning my day around cache hunting.

I guess I like hiding them better than finding because I feel like I'm actually contributing to the hobby - possibly introducing new folks to caches when they might not have otherwise. I see that you've hidden 2... one of which is still active. Good for you. icon_wink.gif

toe.gif

Well, I ran into another cacher today while caching and it was just kept simple. While heading to a cache I noticed someone heading my way along the trail and I noticed something in their hand which was down by their side. Hmmmm that looks like a GPSr, lets look closer to see what kind it is. Oh a Magellan meridian Gold. Interesting. So we get closer and the interaction went like this; I said: Hi and the fellow cacher said: Hi. That was it we kept going in our directions. I had my suspitions who this cacher was but confirmed it when I got to both cache sites and saw their name in the log book along with the date. Ha ha that was too funny. So further along in my journey I saw a couple wandering around and the man had a GPSr in his hand so I approached them and saw that it look like my GPS V and I asked if it was and they showed me that it was a III, I asked if it sucked as bad as my V and they said not as bad. I never saw them near the cache sites so I don't think they were cachers. Anyway that is my story to add to the thread. Now I can put a face to the posts that I have seen from my cacher run in.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Proud New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Yup, that was me... trying to find my way back to the parking lot after a couple of wrong turns on the way out from another cache in the area.. Spied UMC's GPS, said 'hi', went on... maybe I didn't sound as friendly as I usually do after hiking about 2 miles, more or less. icon_wink.gif I didn't think you wanted to be bothered, but then sometimes I can't read people too well...

Anyone comming across a chick with a Meridian wearing a shirt with a squirrel/squirrels on it in the Metro Detroit area- don't be afraid to stop and say 'hi' if you wish... I don't mind a quick chat with a fellow cacher...

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Squirrel Nut I didn't know you read these forums. icon_wink.gif That was cool. I thought it was you for some reason but can't say I suspected that. I thought about stopping and laying on my line; Hey there are you a geocacher also? icon_smile.gif but then felt as though you were on a mission and I'm sure you felt the same way about me. I was rather dismayed that you beat me to that new cache but oh well. I still can't believe they placed it right next to that other one. Further more I can't believe that someone took my Brand new USB network interface card in place of a couple of mints icon_frown.gif Loser is a word that comes to mind. I usually feel bad going to a cache after you Squirrel Nut because you leave nice things.

The pleasure was mine and hopefully next time we will stop and chat.

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Agoraphobia is a Greek word that literally means "fear of the marketplace."

Yeanow. This question just came up a recent crossword clue. The only way I knew it was because I remembered reading it here. Whee, witty comment to be placed here.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.