Background images on cache pages?????

didnt know we could put background images on the cache pages. have you seen pages with images?

quote:
Originally posted by HackAttack:

Okay, how do you post the background images on the cache page?

John

Thanks in advance...

====================================

"Boredom is the state of one's mind"

====================================

whack.gif

You can change backgrounds, or pretty much anything. You just have to know a little bit of how to code HTML. The Artful Dodger is well known for doing this. Here are some examples.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12046.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20959

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19350

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10782

For a little hint on how to do it, just look at the source code for the page. In Netscape, click on 'view" then "page source"

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 02, 2002 at 10:43 AM.]

I have no desire to keep it a secret icon_razz.gif

If you wish to place a background on your cache pages, insert the following code in the beginning of your cache page description text.

the BGPROPERTIES="fixed" prevents the background from scrolling when you scroll up the cache page.

A little creativity will enhance your cache page... icon_cool.gif

9929_1400.gif

I have no desire to keep it a secret icon_razz.gif

If you wish to place a background on your cache pages, insert the following code in the beginning of your cache page description text.

the BGPROPERTIES="fixed" prevents the background from scrolling when you scroll up the cache page.

A little creativity will enhance your cache page... icon_cool.gif

9929_1400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Hey AD> That was pretty neat. I tried it on my cache page and it worked! One problem, the picture "tiled". How would I "expand" it so one picture takes up the whole page? DO I have to enlarge the photo or what?

Alan

Background images automatically tile. They should be kept as small as possible. Enlarging your photo is not a good idea, unless you want to make people wait minutes to view your page. Also, many people find "fixed" backgrounds very annoying. And I think only the IE browser supports it.

PS_sig.gif

quote:

Here's my page to show you what I mean.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15434

Alan

Alan,

If I can give you a little advice: I would not use photos as a background image as the tiling effect caused by the BACKGROUND HTML can make the cache page look untity - especially when you scroll up and down the page. What you need is a smooth transition. Have a look here for examples you could use as backgrounds.

Using the "fixed" property prevents the background image from annoyingly scrolling up when you scroll the cache page. It is much neater.

....and it is compatible with both IE and Netscape.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

[

Netscape 4.7 doesn't support it (6.0 might, but I haven't bothered with it since switching to Mozilla, which doesn't support it either).

I guess I stand corrected. My webpage design program is set to check for compatibility issues in BOTH Explorer and Netscape... and it accepted BGPROPERTIES="fixed' for both.

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

quote:

Here's my page to show you what I mean.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15434

Alan

Using the "fixed" property prevents the background image from annoyingly scrolling up when you scroll the cache page. It is much neater.

....and it is compatible with both IE and Netscape.

AD That's great. I changed mine to

which is 3K and fits perfectly. Check the above URL. Is this "fixed" or what?

Tks again

Alan

quote:

AD That's great. I changed mine to

which is 3K and fits perfectly. Check the above URL. Is this "fixed" or what?

Tks again

Alan

Or what. I checked it out using IE 5.5 SP2 and the background doesn't display "fixed". Also, there's a second strip of clouds about 4/5 of to the right of the screen at 1280x1024 resolution.

PS_sig.gif

I see what you mean about the extra clouds. I don't usually have my settings up that high. Any way to get rid of the clouds?

I'm using IE 6.0 which I downloaded from Microsoft. I'm still not sure what you mean by this "extra". Would you explain it to me? Will it prevent any visitors from not being able to see my cache page?

Tks

Alan

To avoid tiling you can use a stylesheet. Only problem is that it isn't compatible with other browsers than IE (as far as I know...)

I use this piece of code in the start of the document

BODY {

background-color: #666666;

background-image: url(url-to your-image.jpg);

background-position: top;

background-repeat: no-repeat;

background-attachment: fixed;

}

-->

The elements are almost self-explaining. But I'm not sure if it will work here - I have only used it in ordinary .html.

quote:

I use this piece of code in the start of the document

BODY {

background-color: #666666;

background-image: url(url-to your-image.jpg);

background-position: top;

background-repeat: no-repeat;

background-attachment: fixed;

}

-->

quote:

I tried this and it is still coming up as tiled. Can anyone help simplify this for me?

quote:
Originally posted by Bearington:

Something is not right! I change the background and its ok, I check 2 or 3 times. I then go back a short time later and it has mysteriously changed back to green. What has happened ???

Also, I still need help to not have it tiled.

Thanks

This is your exact coding you have on your cache page (I checked icon_wink.gif)

You need to place a space before BGPROPERTIES

A good programmer always checks his code ... otherwise it becomes a program 'feature'. MS Windows has many 'features' icon_biggrin.gif

9929_1400.gif

quote:

Something is not right! I change the background and its ok, I check 2 or 3 times. I then go back a short time later and it has mysteriously changed back to green. What has happened ???

Also, I still need help to not have it tiled.

Thanks

This is your exact coding you have on your cache page (I checked icon_wink.gif)

You need to place a space before BGPROPERTIES

A good programmer always checks his code ... otherwise it becomes a program 'feature'. MS Windows has many 'features' icon_biggrin.gif

9929_1400.gif

quote:

A.D., I added a space and then updated and no background. I then retype it and it works fine for only a limited time, then goes back to green. Could it possibly be due to the site I am getting it from???

If the image is not available, the background will display whatever color you've set. It's possible the site the image is stored on is timing out, or blocking the image from being used. Some free website servers will block images this way. They don't want people to use their site as just a file repository. Nobody sees their annoying ads that way.

PS_sig.gif