FUNNY GEOCACHING STORIES.

maxd1

FINE I WILL SHARE ONE TO GET IT STARTED-ONE TIME I WAS LOOKING FOR ONE IN SOME FIELD AND A FARMER CAME OUT AND SHOT SOME KIND OF RIFFLE AT ME AND THEN RELEASED HIS DOGS. THREE ROT WIELERS(HOWEVER YOU SPELL THAT) I ran for my car and just made it inside when the dogs caught up to me.

Hmmm. Need to stay off that private property I guess.

Not exactly a funny story, though. I'd be careful out there......

When caching a few weeks ago, I noticed, on the way back to the car, that my cell phone had fallen out of it holster. I searched, and searched, and searched.

Finally, dejected I walked back to the car. Bet you can't guess what was lying next to the driver's door.

My dachshund wanted to start a fight with a bison, once......

My Keeshond didn't want to fight, but an elk decided he had to try to stomp the dog.....

I may be leaving the Geo-Dogs at home, after that week.........

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Pretty close to that! I was on the last leg of a multi-find day in mid-Feb. Had a good 12 caches on the list. As I hit about 3:30 on the last cache, I pulled out my cell phone to call the Mrs. and report in. Went out to find the cache and returned to the car.

Emptied my pockets to NOT find the cell phone.

Called my wife from a pay phone and had her continue to call the cell over and over again. As I'm retracing my path to the cache, I find my cell on laying in the dust by the road - not ringing, but on. 7 missed calls. Called my wife on the trail and told her to stop calling the number.

NOT ENOUGH?

Back in December, I was out on the Cumberland Trail with two other Georgia cachers. Somewhere in the back wilderness of never-never land, my magnetic clip-on sunglasses fell out of my pocket. I never noticed until after the 2 mile hike was all done.

Two days later, I get an e-mail from another cacher who had been out to find that same remote cache. He spotted the sunglasses and said to himself - These are too new to be out here for a long time. They must belong to one of the cachers that was just out here.

Shortening the story, he mailed 'em back and I've got my sunglasses.

I've got to get new pockets.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Here is a log for a cache we once did

What a cool cache container! Zoe dog would not go across the log so she swam across the creek and met us on the other side ( I did not know how much that creek would help out later) we walked along the trail and the GPSr took us right to the site...On the way back after the log Zoe took off in the bush and came out covered in white goop, When she ran past us we literaly lost our lunch!!!! (I aint kidding) I have never had anything attack my nose like that before...We looked around where she went in and there was this pile of stuff that used to be a salmon...We had to drive all the way back to Comox and there was no way she was going to get in the van smelling like that...Then we remembered the creek...We each stood on one side and called her back and forth across the creek 8 times...The goop was gone and the smell was almost bearable...Poor Zoe got 3 baths when we got home...Took the duck and left a turtle and a gel type keychain

Thanx for the adventure icon_smile.gif

Coast2coast2coast + Zoe the smelly dog...LOL

Every body DANCE rock_band.gifbanana.gifchicken.gifmonkeydance.gifbandsmlz.gif

Ok this ones' really blonde...or monkey like I'm told. We were visiting in Arkansas...rented a toyota echo... it's got a wierd dashboard that there are no controls behind the steering wheel..they are in the center of the car. Behind the steering wheel is fairly flat open dash...great spot for the gps!...OR? my boyfriend warned me beforehand but he's a big worrywart so ignored him like usual... next thing I know I'm making a hard left turn and the gps goes sliding away...I stick my hand through the steering wheel to grab it and walla, I'm breaking my frickin arm trying to make the turn. Now I didn't really break it but he got pretty pissed at me at the time but shut up in good boyfriend form. The next day I goof on myself about nearly breaking my arm grabbing the gps and he goes on to tell a story that I'll never live down.

Do you know how they capture monkeys in Africa? They take a hunk of salt, which monkeys love, and stick it in a hollow of tree... but cover the hole big enough for it to fit and leave a knothole big enough for the monkey to get it's arm in but that the salt can't fit out of. When the trappers come the monkey frantically tries to get the salt out of the hole but never thinks to protect itself by letting go of the salt. dadgum it if he wasn't right.. if I'd have just let go of the gps I'd have been fine but it just never occured to me drop $389 purposely!

Definitely Blonde...or before blonde...who knows!

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

When caching a few weeks ago, I noticed, on the way back to the car, that my cell phone had fallen out of it holster. I searched, and searched, and searched.

Finally, dejected I walked back to the car. Bet you can't guess what was lying next to the driver's door.

I have the same story but just the opposite. After running down the mountain to my car so I could be sure to get to work on time, I noticed that my cell phone was not on my belt. I started backtracking and, YUP, it was all the way back up the mountain right at the cache site. And, yes, I was late to work.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice that anyone that caches less than you do is a moron, while anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac? -Dru Morgan

From TODAY:

My GPS pointed right at it, but then flipped to point at the other side of the main trail for some reason.

ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR FIRST GUESS/POINT.

I did not. icon_frown.gif

I spent a few moments searching around, then had to lay low as a trio of geo-muggles entered the woods right next to me.

I wish I'd had a video camera, for I'd have won the $10,000 prize on America's Funniest Videos. The woman 'dropped trou' and did 'her duty' sitting on a log while the 2 men whooped and hollared and beat their chests like gorillas. Their dog (a white / brown springer spaniel) came over to visit with me, bt no one else noticed. When all was 'done' they moved on and I could exit the area and go towards where my GPS originally told me to go.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

We were in the middle of a field with 100's of tree stumps. The log said, of course, its in a stump. We had been checking out each stump for close to an hour. The Sam the wonderdog ( yellow lab)decided he had to go. Of course he ended up going right on the cache. Now he seems its his duty to find the cache first and pee on it before we get there.

Alumni of Cache U !

quote:
Originally posted by maxd1:

FINE I WILL SHARE ONE TO GET IT STARTED-ONE TIME I WAS LOOKING FOR ONE IN SOME FIELD AND A FARMER CAME OUT AND SHOT SOME KIND OF RIFFLE AT ME AND THEN RELEASED HIS DOGS. THREE ROT WIELERS(HOWEVER YOU SPELL THAT) I ran for my car and just made it inside when the dogs caught up to me.

Not exactly funny until you lived through it.

Which cache was this?

I've heard that Idaho Ranchers and Farmers can be rather possesive of land they use but don't own (like BLM land).

Wherever you go there you are.

This was told to me by a fellow cacher..... It seems we have a CD Swap cache where you take a CD and leave a CD. He signed the log saying Took XXX CD.....left Anthrax. Yup....it was after the 911 incident....and the next cacher didn't bother to check the box for a CD by the group Antrax...just assumed the worst.... Ended up with the FBI calling him at home and him having to explain everything!!

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

Tip on Cell Phones, and how to better prevent them from being lost (after I nearly lost mine once):

I have a case with both a clip and a lanyard loop- what I do is attach the lanyard to a beltloop in my jeans/shorts (put it through the beltloop, then through the lanyard loop itself- hopefully you know how I'm doing this). Then I clip it on. Haven't had a problem since.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Flew home to California and took Dad on his first cache hunt. We hiked along this steep trail around a lake for quite a while. When we finally reached our destination the area was so tree covered and lots of huge boulders that the GPS signal was bouncing everywhere. I set my backpack down on a bench and started climbing up the hill, down the hill around and around, through the poison oak, down by the water, up by the ridge. Dad was determined never to give up, but after about 2 hours I said, I give up. I went back to the trail and sat down on the bench. And what do you think was hidden under the bench with moss and rocks?

I was in the woods in a City Park (used to be junk yards) scouting a cache location, on the way out of the woods I was stopped by a cop, He wanted to know what I was doing in the woods, and he had no clue what Geocaching was, Spent 15 mins talking to him then he left and I continued on my merry way just as I arrived back at my truck another cop pulls up and starts in on me, I tell him I had just been over this with another officer but that I was looking for geocache location, he had heard of geocaching but suggested I find someplace else as this was a park that gays used to pick up each other.

Now I have the cache placed but the theme of the contents, as I already had the cache filled, doesn't match the unplanned location It was to be an auto themed cache. Now located near an old City Cemetery.

I doccumented one of my funniest caching experiances in my frst attempt for this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=49193 .

Also, once, while climbing to a particularly tricky cache 30 feet up a cliff, I had set my camera bag down beside a tree. Something set it rolling and it tumbled about 300 feet downhill and over a 15 foot rock while I clung to the cliff and watched while trying not to fall myself! Amazingly the camera escaped unharmed.

Now where did I put....

So, a few months ago I decided to try to catch a cache over lunch. It seemed to be a great day for a walk.

I found the cache quickly and managed to get it re-hidden and back to my car in good time!

Now just to unlock the door....

Yep - there they were - still in the ignition.

About 20 minutes of searching turned up a bunch of sticks, an old screwdriver, and that was about it. (I figured I'd find some wire or a coathanger somewhere....)

After having no luck with the park guys via cell("So, you're WHERE?"), I finally worked the window down enough that I could flip the door lock with a long crooked stick.

Just call me Macguyver! icon_biggrin.gif

(It's much more funny in retrospect than it was at the time....)

Tim

KB5OGH

================

I just need a fix!

I was checking on one of my caches and had hiked the half an hour from my house and reached the top of the hill when I saw an Audi Quattro parked. No one was around, so I called the local police. They said it was a stolen vehicle and asked if I could meet a police officer back on a main street. I hiked back and he had to wait in his squad car. But he didn't hike back with me, and instead took an access road. Wonder if he had a GPS unit...

quote:
Originally posted by tylosaurus:

I was out caching till 3AM recently. I was pulled over by a cop, while driving around. He thought it looked like I was wondering around a little strangly. He knew about geocaching, and left me alone.

also see this funny thread. HIllarious

http://www.utahgeocachers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150

Those posts are classics.. I was laughing so hard my wife asked what was so funny. I wound up reading them to her.

Is that Hiliary Clinton in your avatar? What is the baby thinking? Can't read the text.

quote:
Originally posted by twoloosescrews:

Check out this thread of me and my wife's first find!

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=6216058331&m=93560841

"The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'Cover for me'. Number two, 'Oh, good idea boss'. Number three, 'It was like that when I got here'."

That's hilarious. Too bad you can't read the text when it's in avatar form!

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Is that Hiliary Clinton in your avatar? What is the baby thinking? Can't read the text.

quote:
Originally posted by twoloosescrews:

Check out this thread of me and my wife's first find!

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=6216058331&m=93560841

"The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'Cover for me'. Number two, 'Oh, good idea boss'. Number three, 'It was like that when I got here'."