Can u do this??

I was wondering if you can take something from your home that would fit perfectly in the wild to hide your cache in... like for instance i have a turtle rock cave my turtle doesnt use... it would be a great little rock to place in an area and hide a cache in the little opening. Is this stuff kinda allowd??? Was just checking... and just curious if anyone has. Thx icon_confused.gif

We have a number of turtle bayou's around here where I'm sure the turtles would really appreciate a ready-made faricated home like that! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd specify in the cache text though that the cache IS creatively camoflaged, and specify the pick 'other' when specifying the cache type/size.

There have been various fake tree stumps around here, and even a couple of real stumps with the center hollowed out and dropped in the middle of the forest. Virually plunder-proof and tough to find initially. Very cool!

I've been thinking of how to do a fake-rock. Something large. Has anyone done something along these lines?

Ok heres one, buy a sprinkler valve box ($2.75) and seal the bottom, bury it with the lid exposed...but the good part...you can attach whatever you like to the lid, A big rock, a tree log, something unique. The container is about 9" tall and 6" around big enough to fit a bunch of goodies in!

Have fun with it.

C-Troop

10072_200.JPG

-----------------------------------------------

bury it with the lid exposed...but...

-----------------------------------------------

Burying caches is not a good idea. I don't believe the website will approve buried caches

anyway.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Salvo knows a little bit about non-standard cache containers. I just got back from his "Armageddon" cache, and it is definitely not your average box in the woods...

Now I have to come up with something interesting. Doh!

icon_cool.gif

- "This river don?t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn." -

Yeah...alot of people use odd containers, which makes geocaching more exciting. Just make sure it's water tight, so nothing inside will get wrecked. Also, no you're not supposed to bury caches. This rock cave for your pet I see you want to put items in the opening...this is fine as long as the opening can close and seal to keep the water out.

jhwf4

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I don't believe the website will approve buried caches anyway.

Buried caches are a no-no, but only if you have to dig to retreive them. If the container is in a small hole flush with the ground, then that is okay provided you got permission from the lang manager.

-- Mitch

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Burying caches is not a good idea. I don't believe the website will approve buried caches

anyway.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Apparently you didnt read my post very well, you bury the thing but the majority of it is exposed and no digging required to open the cache.

I agree with Pneumatic:

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

Buried caches are a no-no, but only if you have to dig to retreive them. If the container is in a small hole flush with the ground, then that is okay provided you got permission from the lang manager.

-- Mitch

Around our part of the country it is rather tough to find a suitable cache location due to the flatness and the lack of unique terrain so we have to find different ways to hide things to keep the game interesting and fun...thats what Geocaching is all about (to me).

Maybe you take this game too serious..thats ok its your right...but like I said Im glad you dont live in Ks.! icon_smile.gif

C-Troop

Mitch

Hey all, just thought I'd drop the proverbial two cents here. With due regard to the situation where you have fewer places to place caches without having to bury them, to bury any cache is becoming a bad idea. Let me explain.

Here in Texas the Parks & Wildlife department that runs all the state parks is still in the process of determining how they feel about our little activity, and it Texas that is no small thing. There are a potload of parks in Texas that could be ruled out of bounds to us if we don't act responsibly. Let me tell you this, Park Managers and the words "buried cache" are like mixing liquid oxygen and nitroglycerin... and then throwing in a match... not a good idea.

So you say, "How in the world does that affect us up here????" Let me explain: Guess where the Park Managers are getting all their information about Geocaching at the same time we are trying to put our best foot forward and get them to have a positive impression of us? You guessed it, from this web site... they look at the pages, they look at the logs, they look at the caches and they look at these discussions. Trust me, I know this for a fact. When they see people discussing burying anything their "OH NO" meter pegs out! They have already removed several caches in state parks due to individuals not getting permission prior to placing them, and that's another battle we are fighting.

Our "guidelines" to date are pretty simple, and we are hoping to get the Geocaching community to come up with some similiar ones: don't bury ANYTHING, get PERMISSION, and don't vandalize or put stickers on the facilities (that's how one of the park managers found out there were three caches in "his" park without permission).

We are still in the infancy of this sport/activity/hobby and we still have every opportunity to shoot ourselves in the foot if we try hard enough...lol. So, If you burying a cache where you live keeps the National Park Service or the Texas Parks & Wildlife from letting us place caches in some of the best parks in existence, then I'd say, let's not bury caches.

Like I said, just my two cents worth.

Mac McKinney aks "Breaktrack" icon_smile.gif

"Aren't you guys ready for bed yet???"

Well it is buried up to the top anyway, and it is in a park too! Now before you go postal, I got permission from the park manager before I placed it. It is the third cache that I have asked him to place. Proof that if you take the time to ask permission it can pay off later. I even took it in to show him and he thought it was cool. I am not going to show a picture of it here though because I think that it is better to find them. When you post the picture here it ruins it for everyone that sees it that hasn't got to hunt for it yet, and what's the point of making a creative cache if you are going to tell everyone the secret.