OFF THE TOPIC ROOM

mommy#1

So, I work for this tool company in customer service. I was talking to a customer in Las Vegas the other day and I made some off hand comment about Area 51 being nearby. I quickly corrected myself and said "Oh wait...I forgot...Area 51 doesn't really exixt. icon_wink.gif"

There was this long pause and the customer said...."Oh, yes it does." It was his tone that let me know that he wasn't just going by what he had learned by watching X-Files. So I start asking him carefully selected questions. (Big brother you know)

Turns out he has been there! He's got an extremely high clearence level to do some work on the base. His line of work is Commercial Refridgeration!!! icon_eek.gif

So I had to ask if he helped to keep the aliens frozen. There was this long pause and then he changed the subject!

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Last year, I took my daughter to the BFD3 concert. Smashmouth, Nelly Furtado, ATC, LFO, Vertical Horizon... all fairly appropriate bands for a five-year-old.

This year, BFD4 is coming, and two of the headlining bands are P. Diddy and Shaggy. I'm not nearly as familiar with their musical genre. How appropriate would it be to bring my six-year-old?

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

quote:

This year, BFD4 is coming, and two of the headlining bands are P. Diddy and Shaggy. I'm not nearly as familiar with their musical genre. How appropriate would it be to bring my six-year-old?

_

Keep your kids away!!! no need to ruin their taste for good music by having them be exposed to that pop radio crap icon_smile.gif

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

quote:

_

Keep your kids away!!! no need to ruin their taste for good music by having them be exposed to that pop radio crap icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

I don't think Shaggy is so bad, but P. Diddy is the new improved name for Puff Daddy and I don't think he is a good role model.

I agree with mikechim on this one. Take 'em to see someone who can actually play their own instruments. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

I don't think Shaggy is so bad, but P. Diddy is the new improved name for Puff Daddy and I don't think he is a good role model.

I agree with mikechim on this one. Take 'em to see someone who can actually play their own instruments. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Who the heck is USAGI?

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Wasn't that the old dude in "The Karate Kid"? He's a geocacher too?

1st Will Wheaton, then Lord British, now him? COOL!

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

+ _Illegitimus non carborundum!_

Lord British is a geocacher?

WaonderLost said that I said:

quote:
quote:
P. Diddy and Shaggy ... How appropriate would it be to bring my six-year-old?

I agree with mikechim on this one. Take 'em to see someone who can actually play their own instruments.

No argument from me there. We'll be hitting Bumbershoot at the Seattle Center over Labor Day weekend (Modest Mouse, Sonic Youth, Everclear), which should be fun.

She and I both regret missing Vanessa Carlton when she was in town last month. And although I wouldn't take her, I wish Ben Folds was touring this side of the pond.

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I keep wanting to take Lost One to something over at The Gorge. But anything I think he'd like that would be okay for a 5 year old would cost way, way to much money. (I remember when concert tickets were $15-20 and I thought that was high)

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Japanese supermodels will be geocaching.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

I bow down before the sockpuppet master, you or whoever it was, nicely done.

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Ya know, I almost got ripped a new 'un after I asked someone to post recipies and favorite salad dressings. We DO need a new 'Topic' for non-geocaching related stuff.

Zesty Italian!

And yes cosidering how close knit some people here in particuar have come, and how friendly cachers in general seem, an off-topic furum area seems appropriate.

BTW the IRC chatroom is often active, and almost ALWAYS off topic (except maybe for those pesky scheduled Monday nite chats)

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Please email me!

Who the heck is USAGI?

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Usagi is the name of the protagonist heroine in one of the variations of the Anime' "Sailor Moon." We're talking the real McCoy here, and not the watered-down "americanized" versions.

Anime' is a serious art form to many, and Sailor Moon--in it's purest, original-japanese form--is idolized by many as being a very stylish, upbeat Anime' with the usual Good vs Evil elements, as well as a lot of romance. There even is an element of a bit of, shall we say, "alternative sexuality" going on in some of the films, although not to any large extent (not that this is a bad thing icon_wink.gif ).

Hope this helps.

196939_600.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Please email me!

Who the heck is USAGI?

--majicman

Usagi is the name of the protagonist heroine in one of the variations of the Anime' "Sailor Moon." We're talking the real McCoy here, and not the watered-down "americanized" versions.

Anime' is a serious art form to many, and Sailor Moon--in it's purest, original-japanese form--is idolized by many as being a very stylish, upbeat Anime' with the usual Good vs Evil elements, as well as a lot of romance. There even is an element of a bit of, shall we say, "alternative sexuality" going on in some of the films, although not to any large extent (not that this is a bad thing icon_wink.gif ).

Hope this helps.

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

I thought he was asking for "Rabbit" - usagi being the Japanese word for a creature of breath of carrot.

How much do you care to bet? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Why? Because you're nobunny 'til somebunny loves you?

I love anime, but leave the hentai out of mine, please. I prefer wasabi with my 'sushi'.

Feel the burn!

Chobe - what were YOU doing up at 3 a.m.?

RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

I thought he was asking for "Rabbit" - usagi being the Japanese word for a creature of breath of carrot.

How much do you care to bet? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Why? Because you're nobunny 'til somebunny loves you?

I love anime, but leave the hentai out of mine, please. I prefer wasabi with my 'sushi'.

Feel the burn!

Chobe - what were YOU doing up at 3 a.m.?

RedwoodRed

quote:

Maybe the real question should be not WHAT he was doing, but WHO he was doing? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

If I were to speculate, I would suggest that he was cleaning his hard drive of old Mitsuko-directed fanmail or trying a new sock puppet on to see if it has the right quantities of cotton and dacron with just the right amount of latex for flexibility in those tight conversational spots.

But that would only be speculation, you understand?

---

How much red would a redwood red if a redwood could red wood?

quote:

Maybe the real question should be not WHAT he was doing, but WHO he was doing? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

If I were to speculate, I would suggest that he was cleaning his hard drive of old Mitsuko-directed fanmail or trying a new sock puppet on to see if it has the right quantities of cotton and dacron with just the right amount of latex for flexibility in those tight conversational spots.

But that would only be speculation, you understand?

---

How much red would a redwood red if a redwood could red wood?

quote:

well, something may have been hard, and I'm pretty sure latex was involved, but I don't think it was his home he was at. You really missed a great cam show in IRC last nite, Red!

dadgum! Somebody needs to use their free minutes of cellphone time to call me when these things happen! I was bored silly and watching Law and Order reruns.

ReRunRedwood

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

quote:

+ _Illegitimus non carborundum!_

Lord British is a geocacher?

usagi is japanese for rabbit. i know this because i took a japanese course in High school, wish i could remember all i learned. and a character in the ninja turtels cartoon usagi yojimbo (yojimbo means gaurdian) our japanese teacher who was an "exchange student" of sorts (she was over here learning english so she could be a tour guide over there, apparently it pays well) always got a kick out of that.

What kind of idiot calls a manufacturer to order parts for their tool and doesn't know what they need!!!!!

quote:
I have this tool and I need the rubber thingie that goes on the whosit. You know the part I mean. Right next to the whatchamacallit.

GRRRR!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

What kind of idiot calls a manufacturer to order parts for their tool and doesn't know what they need!!!!!

quote:
I have this tool and I need the rubber thingie that goes on the whosit. You know the part I mean. Right next to the whatchamacallit.

GRRRR!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Hey, I need one of those, too!

25021_1200.gif

Yeah, I noticed how the subjects kind of go awry here! icon_biggrin.gif I posted a question asking opinions of the best GPS to get and every now and then go to it to see if anyone has added any more suggestions. They've made it so off topic that no one even knows what I asked anymore and I don't feel like looking through all the stuff icon_confused.gif there to see if there are any suggestions for me!

But let me tell ya about that husband of yours. icon_rolleyes.gif When you are married 26 years [like your mom & dad have been -- and like my hubby & I have been] he won't be a bit different. icon_wink.gif He'll still be like a little kid. MEN!! They never grow up. icon_cool.gif

But just think.....if your dad was looking under rocks now for you you'd have to be a geocache or he wouldn't find you!!

Kathy in WV icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mommy#1:

I have noticed that we need a post just for off the topic conversations.

Between my dad "Majicman" and all his buddies.

I don't know who is worse about changing the topic or messing up the conversation string.

Well here we have it Ladies and Gent's here's the "OFF THE TOPIC ROOM!" Now who wants to start off first? I think I will!

I think everyone knows by now that Majicman and I (Mommy#1) are related. I'm sorry to say, but we are. And it all started off like this:

He says that he was out driving one day and found a very unusual rock. So he stopped to take a look and found me under it. So he picked me up and took me home cuz he wanted to give me a loving home to grow up in, and he felt sorry for me.

But the other funny thing is my mom tells me that she found him under the same rock and decided to take him home because she felt sorry for him.

I guess being married for 26 years she got use to him and she often says to him that no one else would take him.

I have only been married for 3 years so I don't know what it's like yet. My husband acts like a child anyway so I guess he's no different from my father.

Mommy#1

Meet STITCH, GEOSTITCH "there's one in every family".

Kathy in WV

Yeah, I noticed how the subjects kind of go awry here! icon_biggrin.gif I posted a question asking opinions of the best GPS to get and every now and then go to it to see if anyone has added any more suggestions. They've made it so off topic that no one even knows what I asked anymore and I don't feel like looking through all the stuff icon_confused.gif there to see if there are any suggestions for me!

But let me tell ya about that husband of yours. icon_rolleyes.gif When you are married 26 years [like your mom & dad have been -- and like my hubby & I have been] he won't be a bit different. icon_wink.gif He'll still be like a little kid. MEN!! They never grow up. icon_cool.gif

But just think.....if your dad was looking under rocks now for you you'd have to be a geocache or he wouldn't find you!!

Kathy in WV icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mommy#1:

I have noticed that we need a post just for off the topic conversations.

Between my dad "Majicman" and all his buddies.

I don't know who is worse about changing the topic or messing up the conversation string.

Well here we have it Ladies and Gent's here's the "OFF THE TOPIC ROOM!" Now who wants to start off first? I think I will!

I think everyone knows by now that Majicman and I (Mommy#1) are related. I'm sorry to say, but we are. And it all started off like this:

He says that he was out driving one day and found a very unusual rock. So he stopped to take a look and found me under it. So he picked me up and took me home cuz he wanted to give me a loving home to grow up in, and he felt sorry for me.

But the other funny thing is my mom tells me that she found him under the same rock and decided to take him home because she felt sorry for him.

I guess being married for 26 years she got use to him and she often says to him that no one else would take him.

I have only been married for 3 years so I don't know what it's like yet. My husband acts like a child anyway so I guess he's no different from my father.

Mommy#1

Meet STITCH, GEOSTITCH "there's one in every family".

Kathy in WV

I just noticed that this is my 100th posting and I wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to all the people who made this possible.

Not sure who that is, actually . . but still, big Thank You.

If it wasn't actually you who made this possible but you suspect you know someone who did, then please tell them "Thank You". . or "BIG Thank You." From me.

I'll thank you in advance for doing so.

Thank You.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44