Accuracy???

thebarks

my company just bought GPS survey eqpt. when the guys we bought it from came to train our survey crews they set a benchmark in our parking lot icon_smile.gif ..i checked my GPS against it using UTM and i was 3' off ..made me pretty happy to have a $180 GPS that was so close to the $10,000 unit icon_biggrin.gif

...but say the GPS is off, is there a way to calibrate it?

If you live near a military facility, you might want to call a flight service center and ask about any "GPS Notams" and "RAIM availability" for your intended location and time.

The former will tell you if Uncle Sam is practicing something weird (been a lot of that around here lately) and the latter will tell you if good sat positioning is expected for the time/location you designate.

-jjf

quote:
jfitzpat said: If you live near a military facility, you might want to call a flight service center and ask about any "GPS Notams" and "RAIM availability" for your intended location and time.

There are several areas where Jamming occurs on a regular basis, some in areas I like to explore. To find out if there will be any problems with the system, besides calling you can check many of the different aircraft or marine navigation boards on the web. The one I use most is at:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/default.htm

You can learn a lot about the system status here to include interuptions.