Your opinion on this definition

So... I've noticed the term "newbie" being thrown around a great deal and I'm wondering people's definitions... mine's kind of an amalgamation of a few ideas. Some people base it on time, others on amount of caches found and hidden. I think I'm still a newbie -- only 5 months, but I have 89 caches, which makes me not really a newbie in some people's eyes. What do all of you think? Is newbie status based on...

Why do I read the forums? icon_mad.gif

I voted for amount of caches found, since time spent geocaching ties in with that...I have almost 170 caches found and will still feel like a newbie, until I get in the 200-300 range...that's where most of the cachers around here are at...a couple even have broken the 1000 mark...although I now can spot a fake geo-rock or an unnatural rock pile from 100' out..

Gotta go cache up!

quote:
Also, can you define newbie? Because I was told I was a newbie after only caching for four months and what do I know that people who have been caching for years already know and know better than me. Then I was told to drop the newbie thing considering all the finds I have.

When do I get to get on my soapbox?

When I have 10 or 20 times as many posts as finds???

You must have been reading my thoughts.

For some, I think it is whatever makes them feel like they are better than you.

Shut up and cache!

quote:
Originally posted by Czarniecki314:

BP -- I agree, the poll IS restrictive. Read your definition. Should I take it to be a derogatory term?

As you know, people will interpret words and sentences according to their state of mind at the time they are reading them.

I don't think "newbie" is a derogatory term when applied to mistakes of (or issues related to) inexperience or oversight. But it may very well be under other circumstances.

"Newbie" origionally was used by geeks on the old BBS lists and forums to refer to someone who wasn't very experienced, or had to a lot to learn with computers. The term stuck, and has evolved to into being used in reference to any activity.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

Referring to yourself as a "newbie" is a positive sign that you are prepared to listen to and learn from those with more experience than you. Calling someone else a "newbie" is an arrogant declaration of superiority.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Referring to yourself as a "newbie" is a positive sign that you are prepared to listen to and learn from those with more experience than you. Calling someone else a "newbie" is an arrogant declaration of superiority.

I was going to say that the poll answers left out the most essential one: ALL OF THE ABOVE DEPENDING ON CIRCUMSTANCES. then I read this post, and felt that it, more then anything else I've read, sums up the true defintion.

Course I also agree a lot with what BP said in the other thread too.

william

alt.gif

I agree with those who posted that it is not necessarily a derogatory word. I have proclaimed myself to be a newbie at times in various things. I did so to let others know so they could be prepared for questions from me.

I think here at geocaching the definition depends on many factors. Sure, finds and hides can indicate something, but someone with a lot of stats could still make a bunch of newbie mistakes. Others might research the sport so well before they begin that they will not seem like a newbie after only a few finds or hides.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

That's a perfect definition of the term to my mind.....

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

I think your skill at geocaching is the key. I have only 40some caches found and less than 10 placed since I joined a few months ago. I bought my first GPSr in the early 90's...An accunav Sport. Since then I have used a GPSr extensivly to find my way back to a fishing hole or tree stand. After my neighbor got his unit in 95, we started trading waypoints to each others Sweet Spots. Finding his secret spot with only my wits and GPSr is not too far a stretch from geocaching. Am I a newbie? To Geocaching.com I am. To bushwhacking through the wilderness looking for a needle in a haystack....I'm an old hand.

I didn't vote. IMHO It's all of the above. Difficulty and cache saturation are soooo, subjective. Breaktrack posted somewhere that a well rounded cacher has a diverse portfolio of finds. All types and difficulty of hides. I agree and by that definition and the fact that I started this past March, I'm barely past noobie status if not still a noobie. (I like n-o-o-b-i-e better.)

Does a person with 100 virtual finds rate higher than a person 100 regular cache finds?

Does a person with 100 regular finds rate higher than a person 100 multi-cache finds?

Does a person with 100 1/1 finds rate higher than a person 100 5/5 finds?

I think Breaktrack hit the nail on the head.

I've cached in 5 states at elevations exceeding 10,200 feet (Mammoth) and below sea level. (Needles) Driven over 6,000 miles on one (month long) cache trip. I've cached in desert, forest, beach, swamp, alpine, and above tree line. I've hiked in excess of 3 miles to a cache which is by no means far for some cachers. I've caused over $800 in damages to my GeoJetta, gotten poison ivy 3 times, nearly bitten by a black widow spider, and been tested for Lyme Disease. (Negative) This is but a drop in the bucket compared to some cachers with which I have become acquainted and consider seasoned.

Mannn, I love this freakin game/sport/hobby/obsession.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

There are two kinds of *newbies.* The ones who do and the one's who don't read the forums.

The ones who don't read the forums have probably never heard the term. Probably, there are some cachers that have only been playing for a few weeks (or months), and some who have logged only a few finds, that feel like experienced cachers.

I'm one who obviously enjoys the forums. With around 60 finds in about four months as a geocacher, I still consider myself a "newbie." And I'm proud of it.

icon_wink.gif Perception is reality.

I didn't vote.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

Calling someone else a "newbie" is an arrogant declaration of superiority.

Seneca has the best sense of humour of anyone on these boards. icon_wink.gif

I knew that one wouldn’t go over your head, BassoonPilot! icon_wink.gif

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

I have to agree with BadAndy. As with other boards I've joined I consider a newbie as someone new to the forum. I'm new to this forum and Geocaching but have been using GPS for a number of years as well as locating property pins, section corners, benchmarks, etc. and have had my share of injuries and scrapes along the way.

To me, a newbie is a term that indicates someone is learning the fundamentals. It's not a derogatory term to me.

I have about 50 finds, spend a good amount of time checking out the forum, did research on what GPS I wanted so I was sure I was getting what would be the best choice for me, etc. With all that under my belt, I don't consider myself a newbie.

For me perception doesn't affect the reality. The reality of which relates to behaviours.

A newbie hasn't educated themselves yet, either via forums or experience. I obviously couldn't vote. At least 10 finds and a coupla' placements w/good coords combined with forum reading, or about 50 finds and 5 placements w/o reading the forums, or balanced combinations of the above!

The 'derogatory' is amusing, sorta' like 'geomuggles' being 'prejudiced'! Must be 'N' personality types (Myers-Briggs/Jungian)...

Newbie is a classification in which one can only nominate themselves. (Since nobody else can determine another's capabilities in this hobby...too much randomness.)

IMHO as always,

Randy

I have to disagree with anyone who thinks that reading and posting on the forums has anything to do with "newbie" status.

Bayonets4U here on LI has well over 150 finds and 30 placements. As far as I can tell he doesn't participate in the forums. Yet, he is probably responsible for 20% of most LI cachers finds.

Newbie is generally used in these forums in a derogatory way - often times trhown in as a jab when someone hears something they do not like.

Now...

Shut up and cache!