Four legged companions

I just wondered if I am the only person doing this that would like to see the cache owner state if pets are not allowed in the cache area. I know I am not the only person that has a four legged companion along. Although it is not world shaking, it is a pain to travel 20 to 100 miles only to find that the companion is not welcome. From experience I know that some of the caches are at very nice sites and this is not meant to try to keep the owners from hiding in those areas

I love they way scooterj handles this. I don't know if he made this up or if it's borrowed from someone else but his cache pages have symbols at the top that identify things that you should be aware of.

Dogs welcome on a leash

dog2.gif

Dogs welcome off leash

dog3.gif

Check out of couple of these cache pages ... you click on the symbol for a description of the meaning:

Daphne

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Raiders of the Lost Bark

I'd like it if this was standard for cache hiders to have the option of identifying any that may apply. This would addtress many people's desire to know how appropriate a specific area might be for kids, dogs, etc. It'd be nice to know if there are bathrooms, for example.

I'm just giddy about it.

[This message was edited by DisQuoi on May 31, 2002 at 11:57 AM.]

I indicate in my caches whether strollers or bikes will work for the trails concerned... but I had not thought of dogs (not having one). It's a good idea, but I don't think it will catch on as widely with custom-made logos as it would if it was a "standard" part of cache entry. Possibilities that come to mind:

Bikes OK

Strollers OK

Horses OK

Dogs OK

Now that I come to think of it... that is quite a lot of little logos when you include "prohibited" (Not OK) logos (with slashes through them).

quote:
....It's a good idea, but I don't think it will catch on as widely with custom-made logos as it would if it was a "standard" part of cache entry.

quote:

true

quote:

Possibilities that come to mind:

Bikes OK

Strollers OK

Horses OK

Dogs OK

Now that I come to think of it... that is quite a lot of little logos when you include "prohibited" (Not OK) logos (with slashes through them).

If the fist idea doesn't happen (making it part of the cache-server) icons could work.

Although it'd be silly to propose the existing 18k caches are 'updated' with the system of icons... it'd be nice to use the icons, b/c if one sees the icons you know the following:

ASSUMPTION: since this is a 'family' sport for (usually walking) humans during daylight hours ...

1) if no icons- only 2-footed creatures are welcome, both adults and kids, from dusk to dawn

2) If there are limitations (like not kid safe, limited hours of operation, water, etc) say so

3) If there are additional 'features' (like it's wheel chair accessible, dog friendly [on/off leash], bike-friendly [road-hybrid/mountain-bike]) say so

I've contacted ScooterJ about how he feels about me linking to his icons and using his javascript... save some time and may become more standardized.

This is a great idea. I've noticed some of the caches in watershed areas here in MA mention that dogs are not welcome and we always appreciate knowing that. We have a new dog and she visited her first cache last weekend. We're going to change her from a racehound to a cachehound.

Chris, Will and AJ the greyhound

quote:
Originally posted by hakalugi:

I've contacted ScooterJ about how he feels about me linking to his icons and using his javascript... save some time and may become more standardized.

I've sent the same to those who asked me already, but anyone who likes can feel free to make use of the icons I have. I keep a repository of them at http://www.syphon.com/personal/scott/icons/ .

Unfortunately you can't use javascript anymore but you can put the descriptive text in "alt" tags instead.

We think this is a cool idea! On the last cache we placed we stated that because it was watershed property, dogs were not allowed. Like the icon idea being integrated into the description though. We'll be editing our other placed caches to include whether they are dog-cool or not.

Mike (The DirtMan) Pellerin

aka Badger

dirtman@iname.com

Jason Dobson

aka "Jay" "J"

Myth8499@aol.com