Geocaching on the Guardian

Pantalaimon

Does anyone lurking around here watch The Guardian. It's on at 9 p.m., on CBS I think.

I was watching 24 (man that show is good), but I flip to The Guardian on commercials because I used to watch that show when it wasn't opposite new episodes of 24.

Anyway, when I flipped over during the last commerical, there was a few of the main characters and a couple charaters I didn't recoginize looking at a handheld device and saying "Well... where is he?"

The guy with the device said, while looking at the device, "He's right around here somewhere, look around." Then he said "He's moving... thirty eight miles an hour..."

So they all began looking around, and a woman said "He's in a car then." So then they all got in their cars to follow the signal.

Eventually they stopped again in a vacant lot type area in an industrial area. The guy with the GPS thingee (which by the way was different than any one I've seen, it had funky beveled edges) said "He's right in this area." Then someone responded "Maybe he took it off."

That's when I realized they were following a kid with one of those house arrest anklets on, and, of course, it was giving off a signal to follow.

Anyway, they found the kid. He was dead amoung some 50 gallon drums. I think someone kidnapped him, or took him hostage or something, but I had to flip back to 24, so I didn't really get the whole story.

Anyway, it made me think of whether this game will evolve to the point where there will be moving caches that I will be able to hunt, in the future. For example, one day, will I be able to set up a cache in my trunk with a device on my antenna gives off a certain, identifyable GPS signal, which I will then post on my cache page with the instructions "Find me in my car someday driving around, and log my cache!" Or some such idea?

Boy would that add a new dimension to the game!

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

Anyway, it made me think of whether this game will evolve to the point where there will be moving caches that I will be able to hunt, in the future

It's not in the future.... it's already here. My patrol car is equipped with LoJack equipment. Although it's not GPS based it is still possible to track a moving object i.e. a stolen vehicle. Happy caching!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

I personally can't stand this show, however last nite I kinda got forced into watching it. (My wife said I was spending to much time on the 'net, doncha know!) Basically, the device that you were seeing was descibed as a locator for children, so their parents would know where they were at any time.

Nothing more than a twist on the ankle units worn by house arrest persons. It was very obnoxious in how it was displayed. It transmitted to the company who placed the info on their website and the parents could pull up the site and track their kids every move. The locator blip on the screen (looked to be about a 17" mac laptop) was about 6" in diameter! That would drive me nuts in about 3 seconds!

I look at it this way -- BIG BROTHER HAS COME HOME!

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)