Night Caches

RomadPilot

RJFerret has one of those caches like that down in CT. I wanted to check it out, but we left before dark. He said there plenty others out there. His was the first one I've heard of. I need to check out the list and find one near me.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

U.V. Paint is about $25 a pint. Just post coordinates with an built in error of 100 ft radius or so. Dip a rock in U.V. paint, coat with clearCoat. Bury the cache under the rock and voila....a night cache that can only be done with a U.V. light. I thought about a trail using U.V. paint coated rocks for a couple miles in the woods but I figure not alot of people will shell out $60 for a U.V. flashlight good enough to shine 50 feet or so to follow it.

I actually had the idea of a UV cache too. I think I'm actually going to do it too. The plan is to make it member's only and make it a multi. The first stage will contain a UV flashlight and off you go. The first stage will also be near parking to the flashlight can be easily replaced. I wasn't going to mention anything about it until I placed it, but since it was brought up here I figured I might as well. There might also be a true ghost story to go along with it. It should be ready just in time for... yep, Halloween.

-Zach

-Team Zen-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

When I did mine, I found '3M Scotchlite Reflective Material' stickers at a marine store (or boating section at Walmart).

Part # 051131

88418 in bold underneath...

I cut each 2"x4" sticker in half and used camo tape around branches of trees in a well-travelled park. I chose branches so the tree wouldn't inadvertantly be girded (killed) and used the camo tape so it would be less apparent. A step ladder to place 'em all above normal reach and voila!

Although someone got skunked trying it in the morning when the sun rose, someone else used a really good flashlight on an overcast day successfully!

Unlike other night caches I heard of, mine is an offset. The reflector trail leads you to a multi with the coords to the final cache, so you get to use your GPS as well rather than just following the blazes.

Hope this helps, feel free to email me or post other questions,

Randy

Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

RJFerret has one of those caches like that down in CT. I wanted to check it out, but we left before dark. He said there plenty others out there. His was the first one I've heard of. I need to check out the list and find one near me.

I believe one of the closest to you is coyote ugly, only one person has done it at night so far.

In my neck of the woods, Western North Carolina, Wal-Mart carries them during hunting season. They are in the sporting goods section. I bought some a week or so ago. They're called Bright Eyes and a pack of 50 was less than $2.00. They also have reflective twist-ties... though I haven't tried those yet. The Bright Eyes will light up like an airport runway when you hit them with a good flashlight in dim light.