Complaint Dept!!

Seeker BP

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I wanna make a somewhat serious complaint about http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=3650971145 being locked down, just because they are "off topic" and not relating to geocaching.

I'm not sure if Jeremy was just in a bad mood or something when he was reading through the threads - but I didn't see any harm in that little "elite" thread. And, as for being off topic... I'd bet at least half of the posts in these forums aren't exactly about geocaching.

Yeah, I know... they are "his forums" and he can "do what he wants" and all that - but I just wanted to say I didn't really see the harm in that thread, that's all.

And tnx, planet, for the belated b-day wishes. icon_smile.gif

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/flag.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

I guess I missed this post the first time around, thanks to gwho for pointing it out. I would have to agree with the toe here. I see nothing wrong with things being off topic. For crying out loud if someone posts a thread that is on topic somebody else posts a link to where it has been discussed before and then the thread dies shortly after that. That whole thing is BS in my opinion, leave the dadgum threads be whether they have been discussed before or not. Quite honestly it seems as the number of that sort of "markwelling" went up the decline of these forums all together quickly followed. Now thats just an observation. My next thought is if 'everything' about geocaching has been discussed here before (so much so that no matter what a link can be placed that it has been discussed) then whats the point of discussing geocaching here anymore? On that note it only seems right to me that in order to have discussion that hasn't been covered its necessary to go OT. Now if OT threads are being closed/locked I think we will continue to see a drop of overall posting in the forums.

Two things need to happen; One, Leave OT threads be. I think people generally enjoy them and as long as they're harmless and not a flame war or spam fest then they are best left alone. Now I know that they are usually left alone but the "Can we cut down on the off-topic posts please?" comment/question sort of implies that leaving well enough alone may not be the case any more.

Two, Stop "markwelling" threads. If you don't want to discuss it then don't pass the thread by. Since you know that it has been discussed before (maybe several times) why not make a possitive contribution since you know the outcome of the topic when it was discussed before. Posting a link is generally good to point out that there is valuable info in the thread that pertains to the new topic. Too much lately everyone (myself included) has been "markwelling" threads just to get to use that term and prove that they knew that it has been discussed before. Maybe its just me and my love of posting but I don't have a problem with discussing a topic several times in fact I should have a good answer for the new thread since I have seen it before and know the outcome. Thats more important than knowing where to find it. Yes I agree it is a good idea to do a search to find the info you want before posting, but its easier to just post it and have someone do the search for you (markwelling).

So in conclusion, leave the OT threads alone and stop markwelling every darn new post that comes threw these forums. The newbies that come in here asking their questions is a good thing and markwelling them more than likely just scares them away, hence no new discussion and a very BORING forum.

Thats my dimes worth and you can thank toe for bringing it up. icon_wink.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

Is it asking too much to runthe knife clean thru plese?

Apparently. It's also too much to get an order right, keep the place clean, and wash your hands between handling money at the register and handling food...wearing rubber gloves doesn't do it if you keep the same gloves on while handling the money and the food. I guess it protects THEM, though.

I can only hope that the people who take jobs in food service and decide that it's not important enough or doesn't pay enough to do the job well, will someday be under the knife of a doctor who feels the same way.

Grr!

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Two things need to happen; One, Leave OT threads be. I think people generally enjoy them and as long as they're harmless and not a flame war or spam fest then they are best left alone. Now I know that they are usually left alone but the "Can we cut down on the off-topic posts please?" comment/question sort of implies that leaving well enough alone may not be the case any more.

Two, Stop "markwelling" threads. If you don't want to discuss it then don't pass the thread by. Since you know that it has been discussed before (maybe several times) why not make a possitive contribution since you know the outcome of the topic when it was discussed before. Posting a link is generally good to point out that there is valuable info in the thread that pertains to the new topic.

umc, this is one of your best posts ever, and here it is, buried on page 14 of the complaint thread. First off, I agree with you and the Toe about off-topic. I try only to crap on a thread after it's already shot up, or if it is OT by nature. In other words, when constructive discussion is taking place, I try to save the bad jokes for someplace else. Unless I can't resist.

I've been thinking the same thing lately about all the Markwelling and I almost brought it up in IRC chat last night but I got flamed for being ON TOPIC. icon_rolleyes.gif There are two kinds of Markwelling. The original one means polite references to prior discussions, which help answer a question or provide historical context. The way that Markwell does. The other kind is more malicious, it is phrased in a way that suggests that the topic cannot be worth discussing because it was just discussed in September, or that the thread creator is an idiot for not running a search first. I've done both kinds, I would like to think that I'm helpful, but sometimes I am just a jerk.

umc, would you consider posting this topic separately in the general forum, since many many people have given up on the complaint thread? If so, I will add more to it. And I promise not to Markwell over to this thread. icon_biggrin.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Two, Stop "markwelling" threads. If you don't want to discuss it then don't pass the thread by. Since you know that it has been discussed before (maybe several times) why not make a possitive contribution since you know the outcome of the topic when it was discussed before. Posting a link is generally good to point out that there is valuable info in the thread that pertains to the new topic.

umc, this is one of your best posts ever, and here it is, buried on page 14 of the complaint thread. First off, I agree with you and the Toe about off-topic. I try only to crap on a thread after it's already shot up, or if it is OT by nature. In other words, when constructive discussion is taking place, I try to save the bad jokes for someplace else. Unless I can't resist.

I've been thinking the same thing lately about all the Markwelling and I almost brought it up in IRC chat last night but I got flamed for being ON TOPIC. icon_rolleyes.gif There are two kinds of Markwelling. The original one means polite references to prior discussions, which help answer a question or provide historical context. The way that Markwell does. The other kind is more malicious, it is phrased in a way that suggests that the topic cannot be worth discussing because it was just discussed in September, or that the thread creator is an idiot for not running a search first. I've done both kinds, I would like to think that I'm helpful, but sometimes I am just a jerk.

umc, would you consider posting this topic separately in the general forum, since many many people have given up on the complaint thread? If so, I will add more to it. And I promise not to Markwell over to this thread. icon_biggrin.gif

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Ugh - I just made a really long, well thought out reply to another thread... and when I hit "post now" I got one of the "page unavailable" type error pages. So, I clicked "back" and when I went back to the submission/edit page, everything I typed was gone. icon_mad.gif

Oh well, it was basically just kissing Markwell's *** a little bit to make sure he didn't think his contributions were unappreciated. icon_smile.gif I'm sure he is already aware of that and doesn't need me tossing cookies in his general direction. icon_razz.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

My name is wrong in that chart.

dadgum I hate when people get my name wrong, its not that hard of a name. icon_wink.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

My name being a bad verb now.

Dang. It was complimentary at first (I guess). I never intended to harm anyone by posting historical threads - or to harm any newbie's feelings.

Now I need to change my last name and moniker? Sheesh. icon_rolleyes.gif

How about instead of Markwelling, we issue a thread with a Markwellian Reference Point, and then move the discussion on from there.

=========================

For example:

Markwellian Reference:

Many complaints have been made in this thread, but I do think there needs to be another complaint made.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Dang. It was complimentary at first (I guess). I never intended to harm anyone by posting historical threads - or to harm any newbie's feelings.

Now I need to change my last name and moniker? Sheesh. icon_rolleyes.gif

How about instead of Markwelling, we issue a thread with a Markwellian Reference Point, and then move the discussion on from there.

=========================

For example:

Markwellian Reference:

Many complaints have been made in this thread, but I do think there needs to be another complaint made.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Whats the big idea??? icon_biggrin.gif

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

I never had to complain about anything so far (except about some people deeming some caches "illegal and dangerous" w/o ever visiting them) but I have to say that I'm kinda surprised by the "iron fist" attitude on this one...I guess that everyone is entitled to having a bad day every once in a while.

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

I don't want to become a statistic! icon_biggrin.gif

(I think the joke thread helped my post count.)

Markwelling serves a good purpose. It saves on searching. Just ask and you receive.

I'll shut up now.

Cache you later,

Planet

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid of widths!

I don't want to become a statistic! icon_biggrin.gif

(I think the joke thread helped my post count.)

Markwelling serves a good purpose. It saves on searching. Just ask and you receive.

I'll shut up now.

Cache you later,

Planet

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid of widths!

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

I never had to complain about anything so far (except about some people deeming some caches "illegal and dangerous" w/o ever visiting them) but I have to say that I'm kinda surprised by the "iron fist" attitude on this one...I guess that everyone is entitled to having a bad day every once in a while.

??????????????????? what I said what? I'm missing something here.

I didn't do it icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

??????????????????? what I said what? I'm missing something here.

I didn't do it icon_razz.gif

I hate letting people down. Sorry Leatherman. icon_frown.gif

I hate letting people down. Sorry Leatherman. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I still think its a good verb.

If I correctly understand "Marwelling" to mean "responding to a posted question with a link to a previously posted answer," what on Earth can be wrong with that?! It's instant reference to the information being asked about! If there's anything new to add or worth restating, that will happen, too, but if there isn't, then asking someone NOT to Markwell is akin to arriving late for a lecture, being handed the notes and saying to the lecturer "Nah, I don't feel like reading, just repeat your lecture for me."

Or does 'markwell' mean something else entirely, and I'm just way out of touch?

ApK

Apk,

You are right about the meaning. It has taken on a negative connotation as of late in relation to certain types of topics. Some Jack@$$ started a whole thread on it here.

I was looking for an old thread, and discovered that the complaint thread had slipped to the second page. That's just not right. I'd like to complain about that. It's December... the best month for complaining about long lines at the mall, caches that are harder to get to, icy roads and the obligatory holiday visit to Uncle Arthur and Aunt Jean, whose house is permeated with an odor that can only be described as a mix of mothballs, cedar shavings and Golden Retriever. Not that I have any personal experience with that.

I was looking for an old thread, and discovered that the complaint thread had slipped to the second page. That's just not right. I'd like to complain about that. It's December... the best month for complaining about long lines at the mall, caches that are harder to get to, icy roads and the obligatory holiday visit to Uncle Arthur and Aunt Jean, whose house is permeated with an odor that can only be described as a mix of mothballs, cedar shavings and Golden Retriever. Not that I have any personal experience with that.

I think I already shared my christmas mall parking story earlier in this thread, or some thread anyway - but there is another addition that can be made to that.

If you park in a wheelie spot, and you don't have a wheelie permit - you suck.

I'm sick of seeing these snooty looking mid 30s women parking their giant SUVs in handicapped parking spots, because they can't manage to walk a few extra feet to get into the mall. I always give them the benefit of the doubt - but if they don't have a wheelie icon on their plate, or a thing hanging from their mirror... they get the evil eye from Mr Toe here. icon_mad.gif

(edit: It isn't ALWAYS women... just USUALLY. icon_wink.gif )

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on December 15, 2002 at 11:54 AM.]

I was caught majicmaning once when I was a kid, and was told I'd go blind if I didn't stop. That preist tried to tell me a lot of other crap too. what a liar...

I think global warming is a big lie. Where are all those experts now, when I am freezing my *** through a long winter?

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I did alot of majicmaning when I was younger. Well untill my glasses got to thick.

http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/geomark8.gif

_If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do._

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/95articles/Hunt-full.html

I had to stop because I got sick of shaving my palms....

On that shopping note it really pisses me off that I haven't even began my Christmas shopping yet because I'm waiting to get paid. I will be speed shopping once I do just to make up for lost time seeing how I'm leaving to go up north on Sunday. GRRRRRRRRRR

We don't go to caches for the prizes, many times we do TNLN, and we try to trade up (or at least trade even) but some of these items are just plain puzzling...

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on September 19, 2002 at 01:34 AM.]

If everyone tries to trade up, eventually, you end up with crap. (It usually doesn't take long.) Consider taking nothing leaving somethig worthwhile.

I wish to complain about the last posting. Instead of mixed metaphores, we have mixed similies... or is it mixed comic references. Nevermind... the clarity is devisatating, but where is the ambiguity? Is it in a box?

As Don Knotts would say, "Let me clarify this."

=================

Some people have made the mistake of seeing Shunt's work as a load of rubbish about railway timetables, but clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, see this as a deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanized world. The points are frozen, the beast is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the point? The point is frozen, the beast is late out of Paddington. The point is taken. If La Fontaine's elk would spurn Tom Jones the engine must be our head, the dining car our oesophagus, the guard's van our left lung, the cattle truck our shins, the first-class compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck and the level crossing an electric elk called Simon. The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box. Shunt is saying the 8.15 from Gillingham when in reality he means the 8.13 from Gillingham. The train is the same only the time is altered. Ecce homo, ergo elk. La Fontaine knew his sister and knew her bloody well. The point is taken, the beast is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth. But is the truth, as Hitchcock observes, in the box? No there isn't room, the ambiguity has put on weight. The point is taken, the elk is dead, the beast stops at Swindon, Chabrol stops at nothing, I'm having treatment and La Fontaine can get knotted.

=================

--majicman

My new book available now!: (http://www.mcwj.com )

I wish to complain about the last posting. Instead of mixed metaphores, we have mixed similies... or is it mixed comic references. Nevermind... the clarity is devisatating, but where is the ambiguity? Is it in a box?

As Don Knotts would say, "Let me clarify this."

=================

Some people have made the mistake of seeing Shunt's work as a load of rubbish about railway timetables, but clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, see this as a deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanized world. The points are frozen, the beast is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the point? The point is frozen, the beast is late out of Paddington. The point is taken. If La Fontaine's elk would spurn Tom Jones the engine must be our head, the dining car our oesophagus, the guard's van our left lung, the cattle truck our shins, the first-class compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck and the level crossing an electric elk called Simon. The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box. Shunt is saying the 8.15 from Gillingham when in reality he means the 8.13 from Gillingham. The train is the same only the time is altered. Ecce homo, ergo elk. La Fontaine knew his sister and knew her bloody well. The point is taken, the beast is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth. But is the truth, as Hitchcock observes, in the box? No there isn't room, the ambiguity has put on weight. The point is taken, the elk is dead, the beast stops at Swindon, Chabrol stops at nothing, I'm having treatment and La Fontaine can get knotted.

=================

--majicman

My new book available now!: (http://www.mcwj.com )

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I don't like all these poofy air filled christmas decorations... everybody and their brother has a blow up santa, snowman, bear, or tree in their yard. I don't know why i don't like them. I just dont. icon_mad.gif

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/flag.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

me either.

I paint my house black for Christmas just to be different. Really I don't but it seems like everyone is trying to do the same thing in keeping up with the Jones's or Toe's