Complaint Dept!!

Seeker BP

I'm getting older day by day...I have weird hair starting to grow on my shoulders...my left ankle clicks when I climb hills...I'm sleepy at about the same time each night as my 4 year old son...I can't seem to wake up and discover that Bush being president was all a bad dream...

Jamie - NFA

Can I complain about my boss or does it have to be related to Geocaching.<BR><BR>Just incase it's okay, here it goes:<BR><BR>I've got this real jerk for a boss. Got the job because of connections. Doesn't have the education or disposition for the job. Just a real loser. He used to play semi-professional hockey when he was younger. You can tell by the missing teeth and crooked nose. He must of overdosed on steroids because this guy is mean and stupid at the same time. The brain dead upper managers gave the guy a raise because he was able to blow the department's training budget on some How-To videos. This guy should be a washroom attendent. <BR><BR>Well, there it is....my complaint...more to come.<BR><BR>Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

Do we work together??? If not, How do you know my boss??? :laughing:

I think I'd take exception to that last one.<BR><BR>If it weren't for that practice, I'd probably never get a travel bug. Sure it's not a challenge to find the cache, but if I can help a bug along, why not? I don't claim the cache as "found" on the subsequent visit, only a note indicating that I grabbed the bug.<BR><BR><A HREF="http://www.markwell.us" TARGET=_blank>Markwell</A><BR><A HREF="http://www.chicagogeocaching.com" TARGET=_blank>Chicago Geocaching</A>

What Markwell said plus in my area a bug could sit for months if I dont move it closer to a main Hwy

Edited by halffast

Hording my travelbugs and geocoins.

Hording my travelbugs and geocoins to put in your 5x5 star cache.

Hording my travelbugs and geocoins to put in your 5x5 star cache and then making up your own rules for my travelers that restricts anyone from taking one without leaving one (they 'taint trade items).

I found what I thought was an interesting place for one of the earliest caches I placed -- the tip of a narrow levee between two canals. You can drive to within 500' of the cache (in fact, tens of thousands of people drive by it every day), but you have to go on a 1.5-mile round trip hike to get to it from the nearest parking place (either that or go swimming with the alligators). The challenge of the cache is not to find the container, but to find the entry point to the levee.

Well, another local cacher decided that he liked the location a bunch, so much that he placed another cache halfway between the access point and my cache and gave it a name that references my cache. The upshot is that the existence of his cache is a spoiler for the implicit puzzle I tried to set up with my own placement.

I've never said anything about it to him ... I mean, he's got as much right as anyone else to place whatever cache he wants. And I'm somewhat honored that he liked the location enough to want to make it more appealing. But I'm kinda irked that the fact that his cache exists and is named the way that it is ends up being somewhat of a spoiler for my hide.

Okay, I'm done.

-eP

Edited by ePeterso2

I found what I thought was an interesting place for one of the earliest caches I placed -- the tip of a narrow levee between two canals. You can drive to within 500' of the cache (in fact, tens of thousands of people drive by it every day), but you have to go on a 1.5-mile round trip hike to get to it from the nearest parking place (either that or go swimming with the alligators). The challenge of the cache is not to find the container, but to find the entry point to the levee.

Well, another local cacher decided that he liked the location a bunch, so much that he placed another cache halfway between the access point and my cache and gave it a name that references my cache. The upshot is that the existence of his cache is a spoiler for the implicit puzzle I tried to set up with my own placement.

I've never said anything about it to him ... I mean, he's got as much right as anyone else to place whatever cache he wants. And I'm somewhat honored that he liked the location enough to want to make it more appealing. But I'm kinda irked that the fact that his cache exists and is named the way that it is ends up being somewhat of a spoiler for my hide.

Okay, I'm done.

-eP

Maybe next time you setup a multi that starts at the end and works it's way back to the optimum walk in point. This will block the copy cats and also will show folks the best way in.

... I've never said anything about it to him ... I mean, he's got as much right as anyone else to place whatever cache he wants. And I'm somewhat honored that he liked the location enough to want to make it more appealing. But I'm kinda irked that the fact that his cache exists and is named the way that it is ends up being somewhat of a spoiler for my hide.

Okay, I'm done.

-eP

Have you considered calmly telling him how you feel? I bet that he would be happy to change the name of his cache.

This was the second or third cache I placed, so I was pretty much a newbie hider at that point. In retrospect, making it a multi to protect the area from further hides seems like a good idea, since the path to the cache is part of the hide. It never ever occurred to me that someone would place a cache along the approach.

I didn't say anything to that cacher at the time because I was the one with fewer than 100 finds, while he was the one with 1000+ finds and 20+ event caches to his name. I wasn't sure if saying anything to him violated some portion of geocaching protocol of which I wasn't yet aware.

I suppose I could say something now, but it's been spoiled that way for some time ... and I may end up having to archive the original cache for other reasons.

But as a lesson to everyone: please don't inadvertently spoil one cache when you place your own.

-eP

I really hate it when folks post spoilers in logs for caches I've hidden. I mean, if I find a sneaky location that requires a high reach in a target-rich environment with good hiding places high and low, it irks me to have someone come along and say in their log "Good thing I'm 7 feet tall or I would never have found this one!" or "Glad I bring an extension ladder with me at all times!" GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Okay, I'm done now.

I'm getting older day by day...I have weird hair starting to grow on my shoulders...my left ankle clicks when I climb hills...I'm sleepy at about the same time each night as my 4 year old son...I can't seem to wake up and discover that Bush being president was all a bad dream...

Jamie - NFA

My complaint is about when forum posters try to inject their own lame political views into non poltical threads!

This topic was started long before the current forum guidelines were published, and long before idiots like me volunteered to become moderators. If you didn't like the randomness of the early pages of this topic, that's what much of the forums were like a year ago.

This thread can stay open, provided that *new* posts meet the *current* forum guidelines, including the need to stay on-topic and related to geocaching. If you have a complaint that's geocaching-related, post it here.

May I also take this opportunity to say that I hate ticks? I am seeing the doctor tomorrow for a lyme disease test. Ticks are everywhere this year. I see log after log mentioning them.

I need to repeat my advice from 2004 when this thread was bumped previously.

Complaints relating to geocaching, like JamieZ's examples, are on-topic to this thread.

Complaints about everything else in life can be aired in the Off-Topic forum. It would make for a fun thread!

Please post on-topic and resist the urge to reply to off-topic postings from two years ago, earlier on in the thread. Thanks.

Oh, and I didn't die of lyme disease last year.

Bumping my annual warning. The thread will be closed if it continues to attract complaints that are not geocaching-related.

I am frustrated by cache hiders who use metal containers for caches near the beach. I have found two so far whose lids I cannot remove due to rust! For one of those containers, it is no longer possible to even distinguish between the lid and the base, the corrosion is so bad. I mean, Thanks For The Cache, But Sheesh!

OK, I've only been a cacher for less than a week and I only have 17 finds (4 DNF's not logged, I WILL find them) but I already have a dislike of micros in places big enough for .... something bigger.

11 of 17 caches I've done have been 'micros in trees'. Seems silly when these are in the middle of acres of land with way more potential.

Tomorrow I'm scouting a location to hide my first cache. Let's see, what can I do? I know, a micro in a tree :rolleyes:

EDITED to add: It just so happens the 4 DNF's are 3 'regular' and 1 'small'. Go figure.

So, you don't have to go micro to make a cache hard to find.

Edited by Dru's Pet

People who think that the anonymity of the internet makes it ok to be a jerk to someone else. Like it a license to be rude for no apparent reason. I’m talking about the kind of rudeness that drives away quality people. This pertains to Geocaching because I am referring to a situation that occurred here on Jan 1. I just became aware of the situation today and am totally disgusted by the outcome :rolleyes:

People who, for what ever their reasons, feel it’s time to re-write the rules of a well established game because of their beliefs. It’s just a game. If you don’t like it, go play somewhere else!

Was that rude? Sorry, not meant to be. Just venting.

It really frosts my nipples when folks drag up old dead threads and try to make them new again.

I have an intense dislike of poeple who think they are above everyone else because they have xxxx posts / finds, whatever ... and don't remember they were a newbie once. A topic might be 'old' to some but there are a lot of people here for the first time. If you don't want to re-read the thread ..... don't.