Complaint Dept!!

Seeker BP

I don't expect the approvers to get ridiculous or out of hand.  I expect them to approve caches that should be approved.

That is exactly the problem...there has never been any single cache submitted for approval that the submitter thought wasn't supposed to be approved...it's a lose lose situation...when a cache does not get approved....it's the fault of the approver...when it does get approved and there turns out there was a problem with the cache...it's the fault of the approver for not being more thorough...

I think a simple solution is instead of getting pissed at the approver, talk to them in a civil manner to see what needs to be done to get it approved...not all caches can get approved...there has to be a line somewhere...

Disclaimer: I am not saying anything about the specific cases of caches getting approved or not approved mentioned in this thread!

-Six

Gee SixTen, You've got a whole 7 finds and you're an expert already. :blink: Come back when you reach double digits.

Nice try...take the credit for being rude...you said it, why pass it off on me... :lol:

OK, I need to vent...

How about ebay-ers that are rude and take several days to get around to contacting you when they buy your high ticket auction?

Come on folks, I got GPS toys to buy!!! Get off your butt and pay for what ya bought!!!

Ahhh.... Much better. (not really)

What...we have two AS threads now??

This thread superceeded A.S. by a longshot. And only complaining is allowed in here, no abject silliness. [On-topic]I hate when I trudge through a half-mile of mud to get to a cache, get within 250 feet, and the cache is inaccessible because the river I was walking along had flooded its banks and made it unsafe to proceed.[/On-topic]

What...we have two AS threads now??

This thread superceeded A.S. by a longshot. And only complaining is allowed in here, no abject silliness.

Better tell that to the rest of them. The AS silliness started in right on the first page. After reading through to the 5th page, I was already tired of reading all the off topic stuff.

This topic was started long before the current forum guidelines were published, and long before idiots like me volunteered to become moderators. If you didn't like the randomness of the early pages of this topic, that's what much of the forums were like a year ago.

This thread can stay open, provided that *new* posts meet the *current* forum guidelines, including the need to stay on-topic and related to geocaching. If you have a complaint that's geocaching-related, post it here.

May I also take this opportunity to say that I hate ticks? I am seeing the doctor tomorrow for a lyme disease test. Ticks are everywhere this year. I see log after log mentioning them.

Come on. I'm not asking you to trade up or even keep a theme. is it that hard to carry one item to a cache, swap it with something else then carry that to the next cache??<BR><BR>and as for Virts. I just think there are WAY too many of these.<BR><BR>IMHO, If your not trading, your not caching.<BR><BR>Cache On!!<BR><BR>James<BR>"Big Dog"<BR>-Clan Ferguson

Truth is, most of the stuff I find in caches isn't even worth my cheapest sig item. I'll save it for the GOOD swag, Thank you very much.

Gripes:

-Business Cards...I DON"T CARE WHERE YOU WORK!

-Money...you wanna shop? Go to a MALL!

-Vacant lot caches...this is neither interesting, nor is it (usually) public property.

-Coordinates more than 90 feet off....really people, it THAT hard to take an average?

Ok...that's enough for now....I am sure these have all been covered already anyway...

I hate spending an hour getting chewed on by the local anopheles population and poked by vegetation that Ewell Gibbons would never THINK of munching on only to find a leaky Tupperware clone filled with slugs and rainwater.

Then I pour out the water and pat myself on the back for leaving new baggies, log and swag.

I hate it when you don't find a cache for one reason or another then the cache owner immediately emails you and asked you if you looked in this spot when you still want to go try and find it again...... or they go out to the cache and post a note that its still there after 1 dnf

yes its happened to me :D

I hate it when you don't find a cache for one reason or another then the cache owner immediately emails you and asked you if you looked in this spot when you still want to go try and find it again...

I agree, an unwanted hint can definitely spoil the hunt but...

... or they go out to the cache and post a note that its still there after 1 dnf

...why does this bother you? If all cache owners did this it would be a perfect geocaching world.

I hate it when maintenance issues are neglected.

I hate people that won't go and check their caches... Especially if the person who can't find something is a newby or extremely experienced (depending on how you look at it)

Newbies aren't stupid, they just haven't been at the sport for a long time. Just because I couldn't find the film canister in a tree didn't mean I was stupid, it really was gone... But underestimating that I knew what I was doing is just rude...

Same with someone very experienced... You get so used to clever and sneaky finds that you miss what's right in front of your face. For the cache caravan, one of the people searching had 500 finds, one had 1500 finds... I let them look for a while, got out of the car, walked right up to it and had it in my hands in less than 2 minutes. Doesn't mean one of us is better or worse, but I had alot less tricks to think about when I was looking for the find.

I also hate people that double post a message on a forum.

I love geocaching but....<BR>I really dislike the way they make me answer the phone at the office. it takes too long and most people already know who they called anyway so why throw a 18 word sentence in when you answer the phone? Does anyone else have this problem? Or hate it when someone anwers the phone like that?<BR>Thank you for calling ******** ###### &&&&&&& @@@@ ^^^^^^^ Services, This is (Planet or your name here) how may I help you? <BR><BR>Thanks, I have been wanting to get that out for a while.<BR><BR>Cache you later,<BR>Planet

I really hate to wait 45 seconds or longer to leave a phone message. I know who I called, and I know how to leave a message. Would you kindly go beep already so I can move on with my life? I really do have one or two additional things that I'd like to do before I die.

One day it occurs to me to check my own message: Ok "This is ____, please leave your name and number." Great - about 4 seconds - I respect the value of people's time, right? No. :anicute: The automated massage comes on "If you'd like to blah blah for an additional 30 SECONDS! I've used the same company for 9 years, so I'm pretty peeved about all my friend's wasted time. I checked this thing like, eight years ago and it was fine. So I call up the phone company, pretty peeved, and they can't/won't change it. I changed them. <_<

It's kind of funny, really, when people gripe about bad GPS coverage or bad coordinates, depending on their skill level. I mean, I mean, the cache is in a Gorge, it's a 1.5/1 and hidden by a guy whose screen name is MAP ONLY.

And I apologize if any of you were hunting without the description :anicute:

It's kind of funny, really, when people gripe about bad GPS coverage or bad coordinates, depending on their skill level.

I hate it when people write things like this in the online log,

"The log filled up a couple of years ago, apparently, so I signed on a scrap of paper that another cacher left in there."

and

"The cache is wet and soggy, did not sign the log."

And there's no response from the owner.

Actually, what's the deal with your coordinates? Are you just estimating them from a map? Many, many people have commented on the cache being up to 100' from the coords.

Jamie

This topic was started long before the current forum guidelines were published, and long before idiots like me volunteered to become moderators. If you didn't like the randomness of the early pages of this topic, that's what much of the forums were like a year ago.

This thread can stay open, provided that *new* posts meet the *current* forum guidelines, including the need to stay on-topic and related to geocaching. If you have a complaint that's geocaching-related, post it here.

May I also take this opportunity to say that I hate ticks? I am seeing the doctor tomorrow for a lyme disease test. Ticks are everywhere this year. I see log after log mentioning them.

I need to repeat my advice from 2004 when this thread was bumped previously.

Complaints relating to geocaching, like JamieZ's examples, are on-topic to this thread.

Complaints about everything else in life can be aired in the Off-Topic forum. It would make for a fun thread!

Please post on-topic and resist the urge to reply to off-topic postings from two years ago, earlier on in the thread. Thanks.

Oh, and I didn't die of lyme disease last year.

I expanded the original quote from Map Only back out...

It's kind of funny, really, when people gripe about bad GPS coverage or bad coordinates, depending on their skill level.  I mean, I mean, the cache is in a Gorge, it's a 1.5/1 and hidden by a guy whose screen name is MAP ONLY.

And I apologize if any of you were hunting without the description :anicute:

"The log filled up a couple of years ago, apparently, so I signed on a scrap of paper that another cacher left in there."

and

Actually, what's the deal with your coordinates? Are you just estimating them from a map? Many, many people have commented on the cache being up to 100' from the coords.

Jamie

Yeah, quite a can of worms opened there. It is a shame to see that when the guidelines say:

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. If time allows take several reading at different times over a few days and average the results. This will help you achieve greater accuracy on your coordinates. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Sorry, but it isn't that funny to me. Maybe I should complain to the local reviewer regarding future submissions.

Edited by mtn-man
It's kind of funny, really, when people gripe about bad GPS coverage or bad coordinates, depending on their skill level.  I mean, I mean, the cache is in a Gorge, it's a 1.5/1 and hidden by a guy whose screen name is MAP ONLY.

And I apologize if any of you were hunting without the description :ph34r:

and

Jamie

Yeah, quite a can of worms opened there. It is a shame to see that when the guidelines say:

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. If time allows take several reading at different times over a few days and average the results. This will help you achieve greater accuracy on your coordinates. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Sorry, but it isn't that funny to me. Maybe I should complain to the local reviewer regarding future submissions.

Sorry, I've been away from the computer. Gosh, I did open a can o' worms.

So - 1, The coordinates are pretty-darned-nice, 2, I did talk with the reviewer at the time I placed the cache about not using a GPS, and 3, I've gone back on a good day with a GPS myself, and

4, I'm guilty, guilty, guilty of not having a new log when I drove by and I'm sorry! I'll be by soon, I promise. :rolleyes:

And I apologize if any of you were hunting without the description :rolleyes:

and

Jamie

I guess I didn't make it clear that the coordinates are on, but GPS reception is often crappy due to the location. I bumped the hint, added a warning about reception, and generally made a good-faith effort to ensure that people would get the hunt they deserve early in the life of this cache. Happy hunting! :ph34r:

And I apologize if any of you were hunting without the description :rolleyes:

and

Jamie

Ya missed one, mtn-man!

From one of his recent cache placements:

September 22 by alciato (508 found)

[FTF this one, but there was no log book!

Wow,where to begin... so many and so little time....

I hate it when smokers throw their lit cigarette butts out the window and they bounce off my windshield.

I hate it when peoplethrow fast food trash out the window and it bounces off my windshield.

I hate it when people get in the laft hand lane and drive below the speed limit.

I like people who enjoy life enough to allow others to do the same.

I like it when people do something nice just to be doing something nice.

I think everyone who smiles is beautiful. :rolleyes:

I LOVE GEO CACHING :ph34r:

I think for everything you hate you should have something you love to off set it so life don't get you down.

Happy geo caching everyone :)

I I had no idea I could amuse folks who might never see any of my geocaches. Please do check out some of the photos whilst you visit :anibad:

Well, since if I ever get caught up in my logging I probably have 100 or more finds in WA state, including several dozen in the Seattle area, I guess this comment is not directed at me. Although, I'm pretty sure mtn-man has 100 finds or more in WA as well, so your comment probably wasn't directed at him either.

I I had no idea I could amuse folks who might never see any of my geocaches.  Please do check out some of the photos whilst you visit :anibad:

Well, since if I ever get caught up in my logging I probably have 100 or more finds in WA state, including several dozen in the Seattle area, I guess this comment is not directed at me. Although, I'm pretty sure mtn-man has 100 finds or more in WA as well, so your comment probably wasn't directed at him either.

Sweet! I didn't remember either of your signatures, but I'm glad you've been in the area. As you might have seen, I haven't that many finds. :santa:

Gung Ho FTF Hounds who "steal the thrill" for others new to geocaching. Example, we have this cacher in our area & this cacher's FTF on just about everythng. Don't get me wrong everyone's like to be FTF if given the chance but we recently have had a surge in newbie geocachers in our area finally & it's really discouraging to them that this one cacher is always FTF on everything, like it's somesort of friggin, badge of honor or something to ALWAYS(& I mean Always) be FTF. Yes, I openly admit, I was like that in the begining but only to slow this cacher down abit. I stopped because of the newbie geocachers in the area & so would let them enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I won't even type FTF on 1/1 caches if I stumble upon an FTF opportunity. On challenging caches 3 or above or just a real clever cache maybe I would consider typing in the log FTF. On 1/1 what's the point? unless you're a newbie. I'm not saying I don't hunt 1/1's just that I'm not out there running to FTF. I would like the newbies to have a chance and gain experience. Would like others opinions on this subject.

Anyone else encounter this & what did you do to alieviate the situation?

Jeepysr

I need to vent about this because I'm tired of inexperienced newbies complaining about my caches when they don't have the relative experience to realize that my caches are not bad or difficult compared to some of them out there. And where I am in the world, there aren't that many caches, so they should count themselves lucky to even be able to find a geocache in this country! If they are going to complain, then we'll just make this area a geocache-free area and they can find another country in which to geocache! Grrrrrrr!!!

I live in Turkey, and when I came here, there were only about 20 caches in the entire country! Since then, we're up to about 45 caches or so. I've placed about 6 around the country, in various well-known tourist spots so that geocaching tourists can have a little extra fun.

There was one cache in central Turkey, placed by American high school tourist before I ever came here. Then after a couple of years, it went missing. Since that kid is back in New York, and I live in Istanbul, I offered to make the 12 hour bus ride out there to check on it. I did, and discovered that it was indeed destroyed. So I requested an archive and established another cache (GCPQY5) close to the original one. I gave it a terrain rating of 3.5 stars and wrote in the desc:

"Unlike the first cache, this one is more than a simple five minute stroll from the parking lot. It's more of a hike in and out due to the steep slopes and soft, ashen soil. You will pass the location of the original cache to find this one; look and see if you can see the X that was made to indicate the location. When you go looking for this, BE CAREFUL!!! Don't think you can find this one just walking around in sandals. You can't. You have been warned. "

At the beginning of this month, I was out in that area, and did some cache maintenance. Everything was fine with the cache and I saw that there was even one more entry in the logbook than was posted on the corresponding webpage.

Well today I get a notification email that someone logged a find for this geocache on September 28. Fine, just 2 months shy of posting the find. It was found by a newbie with 4 finds. Fine, I'm happy if _anyone_ finds my caches in Turkey. The newbie proceeds to complain about the cache location and writes "I think the you need to move this cache!!! As soon as you can. The damage to the hill the erosion from hiking up or down is bad. Please rethink this one. I is GEO-cache." NOT FINE.

This newbie only has 4 finds as of yesterday. I gave ample warning about the terrain. It took him/her two months to log the find, so I didn't know there was a problem with it until too late for me to actually do anything about it. Not to mention the date he/she logged isn't even accurate with the logbook in the cache.

This is the second newbie to complain about my one of my caches in Turkey. The first one only had 10 finds and couldn't find my cache located at the top of a hill under a pile of rocks, even though I even gave an altitude clue in the additional hints section. And he wrote a whole long complaint and then requested my geocache be archived. Now, I know that newbies are still learning and have to yet to acquire experience, but c'mon people! If it's not easy for you, that doesn't give you the right to complain. Stick to drive-up, urban micros if you want it easy.

I'VE HAD IT WITH NEWBIE COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY CACHES IN TURKEY. NEWBIES, STICK TO URBAN MICROS, AND DON'T LOOK FOR MY CACHES IN TURKEY!!! IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT OR DON'T LIKE THE LOCATION, DON'T GO LOOKING!!!

(whew, I feel better. I know this will somehow come back to bite me in the bum, but I needed to get this off my chest.)