Advice wanted for Event Cache

We're new, enjoying ourselves to the max, and have read about some event caches and wonder if some of you who have hosted or helped with one would supply tips on what you have to do and any "etiquette" associated therewith. We have yet to run into another GC'er at a cache or on the trail and we'd sure like to meet some of the locals.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

moosiegirl (Candy)

We've create/hosted the last event in Austin. Check out this archived cache Austin February Gathering.

There have been several others about every other month. We've been waiting for someone to step forward to set up the next one. Please let us know if you want any help or advice.

You can also join the local Yahoo group for more help at centraltexasgeocachers

Send us an email if you want to discuss off-line, Tom

Here's a link to last year's Chicago picnic (archived). We had a blast.

This year's is shaping up pretty well.

Some have considered a competitive portion for the picnics, but I like the idea of cooperative rather than competitive. Last year the other host and I placed 7 mini-caches in the area (had to be temporary ones because we were in a park that didn't allow permanent ones). We all had a blast going out to find them.

I think we'll do something similar, but also add setting up a "memorial cache" for the picnic at this year's.

The other thing I wanted to make sure of - don't over plan the beginning of the picnic, allow a good 90 minutes for people to just mingle and tell their great stories.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

We love to meet each month here in Georgia around the Atlanta area. Some of the people in south Georgia have just created an event cache too. Go for an outside pavillion. Sometimes you can reserve one for free. We "pass the hat" at meetings if we have to pay for the place we meet. We have had guest there speaking on things like first aid, snake identification, State Parks concerns, bearing and compass applications, topographic map reading and software, hiking stick carvers, leave no trace experts and on and on. Some of the best part is socializing and swapping Geocaching stories! If you go to this link for our last event cache, you will see a link for all of our event caches on the page. You must be logged in to Geocaching.com to view some of them because they have been archived. If you have any questions, the GGA would love to help.

3512_200.jpg