Military-style tactical hydration pack

joefrog

Does anyone have any comments on how good these packs are? I'm interested because you definitely cannot beat the price.

-Stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

We are issued packs like thisin mysquadron. I use them on these long hikes. They are great becasue they are backpacks and your watersupply.I have a couple 70 ounce water containers and one 100 ounce container. I recommend you get one. There is also another thing that I use on hikes. It is a water mister (like the ones you see at see world and other parks.) It is a small hand pumped water weel that you can ware around your waist and use to mist yourself and cool down on a long, hot hike.

Megus

quote:
Originally posted by Stroh:

Does anyone have any comments on how good these packs are? ...

I've been using one of these Sportsman's Guide "Tactical Hydration Packs" for about 2 months now. The overall quality is quite good. The material is strong and rugged. My only complaints has been the stitching on the sternum strap and a add-on flashlight holder gave out. The wife was able to mend both easily.

The water bladder has taken some time to eliminate the plastic taste but they seem durable enough and the valve has held up well. The insulated compartment has kept an ice cube and water filled bladder moderately cool after a 6-8 hour day.

"Adrift in a world he never made!"

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Thanks for the quick responses. Based on the comments I think I will probobly get one.

How much does the military pack weigh?

-Stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

quote:
The material is strong and rugged. My only complaints has been the stitching on the sternum strap and a add-on flashlight holder gave out. The wife was able to mend both easily.

If the stitching starts to come out after only two months, I'm inclined to wonder where it's gonna fail next. Stitching is usually the first compromise on lower end items (packs, tents, etc...)

Careful. You get what you pay for. No brand name, just the generic term "Military style". I'd be wary of something like this, but if it works out for you, then great!

OTOH, the Camelbaks on the next link (they appear to be real Camelbaks) look like a really good deal.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry