What would you do?

WolfWalker

On August 4th, I found a cache (Military Honors) and it was destroyed, the contents scattered all over. I took what was left of it home with me, and emailed the cache owner about it. I had hoped that the owner would want to reclaim the remains, and perhaps set out a new one. I still haven't heard anything from the owner, even though I've sent a second email. Upon investigating, it seems that the cache owner hasn't been active since April. I'd like to replace the cache, but I'm not military, and this is a military-themed cache. This area isn't brimming with caches, so I'm sure this one is missed by those that haven't had the pleasure of hunting for it yet. What would you do? Place a new one in the same spot, even though I cannot honor the theme? Make a completely new one, place it within the same park, but not near to this one? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated!

If the cache was a good one, I probably would fix up the cache and adopt it. You need not be in the military to own a cache which honors those in the service. Hit the local surplus store. You will likely find lots of trinks to include.

If you don't wish to adopt it, request that it be archived. Feel free to create a new cache with the theme of your choice.

I agree with sbell. You've done your best to contact the owner and no reponse...

Replace it as you see fit and if the owner ever contacts you, the two of you can work it out then...

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

If the cache owner is not responding and hasn't been active, I would send him one more email. Tell him your going to request that the cache be archived so you can place another one there to replace it. At least your giving fair warning. Then place a cache under your name and perhaps maintain the same theme, or give the previous cache owner an honerable mention in the description. If your going to rehide it and maintain it, it should be YOUR ache.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

If the cache was a good one, I probably would fix up the cache and adopt it.

No, I don't agree. The owner is no longer active. The owner has chosen not to respond to WolfWalker's e-mails. The owner has abandoned the cache. In order to be viable, the cache requires a complete overhaul. Similarly, the cache page, which was also the work of the owner, has also been abandoned, and should not continue to be used.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

... request that it be archived. Feel free to create a new cache with the theme of your choice.

In my opinion, that is the proper way to proceed.

It is possible that the owner is military, although their profile states IT manager for occupation. One of my concerns is that they (it's a 2 person team) own 5 caches here. From what I've seen, these caches aren't being maintained. But, to give them the benefit of the doubt, I'll wait a little longer before I decide what to do. I appreciate all the suggestions, and will definitely keep them in mind.

It is likely the owner is an IT manager and is activated in the reserves and doing his time. If he is overseas, he probably just recently received notice of their lengthened stay. I'd say the second half of this profile is his better half and hunts with him when he's home.

Give him a break. He'll be back. Although his profile hasn't been busy since April, it doesn't look like he has a lack of interest, just an apparent inability to maintain it right now. You'd be doing him a big favor until he gets back.

Cheers!

TL

He may be IT, but he could be reserves too. I would send that one more e-mail telling him you will put out a new container, add a few trinkets and ask that people keep it on theme. Ask the admins to adopt it, the page will turned over to you and you can keep it as is or edit it. If the owner ever comes back you can offer it back to him. If you don't hear anything in another few months, then it's yours. You can change the theme. If he is in Iraq/Kuwait/whereever, he should still have access to e-mail however he won't have a lot of time for using the computer.

Planet

This same owner has three caches here in town, so a caching friend and I have officially adopted all of them (Thanks Groundspeak!). Military Honors cache will be placed back out soon, in a new container, with pretty cool mostly military-related items. The other two caches will be refreshed shortly. And, when the owner returns, they'll be able to reclaim them. We're just doing this to keep these caches alive, so other geocachers may enjoy them as we did. Thanks everyone for your advice and ideas!

There are a number of caches in my area that have non active owners. I have officially adopted one and have been keeping an eye on the others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

To me, it seems you could go either route. You've made a good-faith effort to contact the owner; that's all that can be expected. You could replace the remaing cache contents, archive the cache and replace with your own, or re-fill the cache with items keeping with the original theme.

Someone else's cache isn't your responsibility, but by doing any of the above you'd be performing an appreciated service.

Best Wishes,

Bob

I'd adopt the cache unofficially and give the cache owner another chance on the email. We have a couple of Army Surplus stores in our area, so it's pretty easy to stock something like that around here.

If I got no response after a couple more months I'd put the "should be archived" on it and replant under my username.

In a way I adopt every cache I go to. If I see a problem, whether it's a leaky container, soggy log or what not, I try and fix it before I leave. If I can't I post in the log that there's a problem for the next cacher.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

No, I don't agree. The owner is no longer active. The owner has chosen not to respond to WolfWalker's e-mails. The owner has abandoned the cache. In order to be viable, the cache requires a complete overhaul. Similarly, the cache page, which was also the work of the owner, has also been abandoned, and should not continue to be used.

In my opinion, that is the proper way to proceed.

I disagree with your stance on cache adoption, there are cases where cache adoption is ok. For example, when a cache owner is responsible enough to make the request because they are moving.

In this particular case, the person may have been military and was deployed suddenly. He or she may have thought they would be back in time to maintain it. However, since the cache is trashed, the options of archiving it and replacing it with your own seem ok. If, however, this Iraq freedom thing ends soon and the cache owner does get back, don't be suprised if they would want their spot back.

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!